Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 345

Thread: 2021 NPL Youth Thread

  1. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    And what about the players in the competitive 5 teams in each age group? Sending them back to community isn't going to help them at all.

    The Toronto 15s in A grade should be the Toronto NewFM side they won it last year and scored over 100 goals and conceded a handful. Got to look into why those kids don't want to go into the competition they should be in.

    Because not through lack of trying, the juniors wonít join forces with the seniors at least till fill the youth teams, trust me, those 15s were recognised and countless times the senior club tried to get those 15s to come to trials. Seniors have put out olive branches but juniors arenít playing, which is sad, talented kids like TORONTO 15s should be playing against better opposition, but from last year, the seniors gave a season pass entry to EVERY registered junior at Toronto, only to find out the majority of them were not handed out. Unfortunately, some of the junior committee members that have beefs with previous senior committees canít get over it and move on for the good of the kids.

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by GO AWAY View Post
    Because not through lack of trying, the juniors wonít join forces with the seniors at least till fill the youth teams, trust me, those 15s were recognised and countless times the senior club tried to get those 15s to come to trials. Seniors have put out olive branches but juniors arenít playing, which is sad, talented kids like TORONTO 15s should be playing against better opposition, but from last year, the seniors gave a season pass entry to EVERY registered junior at Toronto, only to find out the majority of them were not handed out. Unfortunately, some of the junior committee members that have beefs with previous senior committees canít get over it and move on for the good of the kids.
    What a shame! Great coach out there now surely they can see the good?

  3. #83
    Community football and Premier football are not just different - they are poles apart.

    The first exist to provide kids of all abilities to play football and often kids wonít leave those ranks because all they want is to play with friends. These kids might play with the same team members from MiniRoos right way to 18ís.

    The latter, is highly competitive, will ditch players and bring in new every year and can cost 5 times more to play etc. Itís not for everyone.

    Having had feet in both camps, these underlying reason for existence is why so many senior and junior clubs are no longer connected.

  4. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    934
    Quote Originally Posted by GO AWAY View Post
    Because not through lack of trying, the juniors wonít join forces with the seniors at least till fill the youth teams, trust me, those 15s were recognised and countless times the senior club tried to get those 15s to come to trials. Seniors have put out olive branches but juniors arenít playing, which is sad, talented kids like TORONTO 15s should be playing against better opposition, but from last year, the seniors gave a season pass entry to EVERY registered junior at Toronto, only to find out the majority of them were not handed out. Unfortunately, some of the junior committee members that have beefs with previous senior committees canít get over it and move on for the good of the kids.
    That's a shame, see it too often across the city with juniors and seniors not getting on and getting in the way. Too many people on power trips.

    Just curious did you approach the coach and players directly or did you go through the club?

  5. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    934
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dawson View Post
    Community football and Premier football are not just different - they are poles apart.

    The first exist to provide kids of all abilities to play football and often kids won’t leave those ranks because all they want is to play with friends. These kids might play with the same team members from MiniRoos right way to 18’s.

    The latter, is highly competitive, will ditch players and bring in new every year and can cost 5 times more to play etc. It’s not for everyone.

    Having had feet in both camps, these underlying reason for existence is why so many senior and junior clubs are no longer connected.
    I've also found that committee members don't want the two clubs to work together, seen seniors been precious over "their field", seen juniors spread lies about the senior club to stop poaching, and seen people on both sides continually work against the other club and fight it. It is possible for a club to run both, see Cooks Hill and New Lambton, but it is unfortunate that all these clubs are split across the region

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
    Easiest solution, stop pretending clubs in NewFM actually matter and drop the Youth teams from that division. Better yet, fold the entire comp and those clubs join the Zone League system.

    Some of the talented kids will go the NPL route strengthening that completion overall, the rest go back into the Inter-district completions back to their local clubs.
    And leave the current 10 insolvent little operations to represent Northern? They have less relevance than Tassie already. It's benign little minds like yours that created this snooze fest. Unless you provide a viable promotion and relegation process in at least 2 Divisions (probably 3), the mediocre quality will increase. Some (not all), second tier and third tier clubs are run by smart people, unless they are given something to aspire to they won't spend the money or forecast to spend money to get up. On the flipside, we will get clubs who sit on their hands and exist rather than grow. So many good kids exit NPL year on year to play All Age. It is going nowhere.

  7. #87
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    18
    Oi, Onyatoes. Stop talking sense. Otherwise an NPL or HIT label will get taken off these clubs and they will then have to charge their juniors a reasonable rego and have their teams graded according to their actual skill. Instead of some of these poor lads having to fork $1k++ to go out and get drubbed, with them only learning how to become disillusioned with the game.

  8. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyatoes View Post
    And leave the current 10 insolvent little operations to represent Northern? They have less relevance than Tassie already. It's benign little minds like yours that created this snooze fest. Unless you provide a viable promotion and relegation process in at least 2 Divisions (probably 3), the mediocre quality will increase. Some (not all), second tier and third tier clubs are run by smart people, unless they are given something to aspire to they won't spend the money or forecast to spend money to get up. On the flipside, we will get clubs who sit on their hands and exist rather than grow. So many good kids exit NPL year on year to play All Age. It is going nowhere.
    If you don't understand that theres limited room in first grade and kids are always going to exit then I think you don't understand much about football. There is never going to be enough room for all of the kids that come through every year, otherwise what? kids play one year in first grade / res / 18's and move on to make room for the next years kids.

    No, you have to be equal or better to what's already there, or what's coming through next (or what's coming down from the a-league academies). If you sail through NPL and don't have these discussions with your kids from the get go, you are setting them up to fail. They need to know that they have to be competitive, they have to be aiming to play up a year or two and be able to compete with the older kids from the get go, because once you hit 18's thats what's going to happen, you then have to be able to compete with the players already there.

    It is highly competitive, because at some stage you start being paid to play and then its about being the best at the job - not just good. No different to job interviews where theres 100 applications for 1 role. Its bloody hard, but so is getting the job you want these days - verses the job thats available and easy to get into.

  9. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyatoes View Post
    So many good kids exit NPL year on year to play All Age. It is going nowhere.
    And AA has never been so good.

    We need a 2 tier youth system and not be scared to have npl1 clubs in the top division. Chances are theyll migrate anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    i was always under the impression the company that made the grandstands just dropped them off at the ground and no one bothered to put them into the position they were meant to be in.

  10. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    If you don't understand that theres limited room in first grade and kids are always going to exit then I think you don't understand much about football. There is never going to be enough room for all of the kids that come through every year, otherwise what? kids play one year in first grade / res / 18's and move on to make room for the next years kids.

    No, you have to be equal or better to what's already there, or what's coming through next (or what's coming down from the a-league academies). If you sail through NPL and don't have these discussions with your kids from the get go, you are setting them up to fail. They need to know that they have to be competitive, they have to be aiming to play up a year or two and be able to compete with the older kids from the get go, because once you hit 18's thats what's going to happen, you then have to be able to compete with the players already there.

    It is highly competitive, because at some stage you start being paid to play and then its about being the best at the job - not just good. No different to job interviews where theres 100 applications for 1 role. Its bloody hard, but so is getting the job you want these days - verses the job thats available and easy to get into.
    So true Kitz so many people on here thinking players at their club are going to make it to the big time when in reality your summation is so correct. Less than 20% across all NPL youth teams at a club will play first grade on a regular basis less than 5% will make higher honours and shock horror less than 1% will play professional football on a regular basis. But keep forking out your $1000+ a year to keep the dream alive or keep the current first grade squad happy.

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    So true Kitz so many people on here thinking players at their club are going to make it to the big time when in reality your summation is so correct. Less than 20% across all NPL youth teams at a club will play first grade on a regular basis less than 5% will make higher honours and shock horror less than 1% will play professional football on a regular basis. But keep forking out your $1000+ a year to keep the dream alive or keep the current first grade squad happy.
    Again with this shit?
    So don't learn to play guitar as you'll never be in a famous band, don't learn to cook because you'll never own a restaurant and don't learn to swim because you'll never win gold at the Olympics?
    What crap.

    Some kids just love football, some kids love representing their club and communities.
    Some parents just want a happy healthy environment for their kids where they learn way more than just kicking a ball and meet people who have some goals in life.

    If youre too poor to afford it or your kid didn't make it im sorry. Maybe just leave the ****ing kids alone who just want a bit more out of life.

    While we are the subject of made up stats, id argue less than 1% of parents walk around crowing how their kid is gonna play in the Prem. How bout leaving the 99% alone to enjoy their kids having a go at something.

    Miserable pricks.

  12. #92
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Plague View Post
    Again with this shit?
    So don't learn to play guitar as you'll never be in a famous band, don't learn to cook because you'll never own a restaurant and don't learn to swim because you'll never win gold at the Olympics?
    What crap.

    Some kids just love football, some kids love representing their club and communities.
    Some parents just want a happy healthy environment for their kids where they learn way more than just kicking a ball and meet people who have some goals in life.

    If youre too poor to afford it or your kid didn't make it im sorry. Maybe just leave the ****ing kids alone who just want a bit more out of life.

    While we are the subject of made up stats, id argue less than 1% of parents walk around crowing how their kid is gonna play in the Prem. How bout leaving the 99% alone to enjoy their kids having a go at something.

    Miserable pricks.
    Great post 👏👏👏

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Plague View Post
    Again with this shit?
    So don't learn to play guitar as you'll never be in a famous band, don't learn to cook because you'll never own a restaurant and don't learn to swim because you'll never win gold at the Olympics?
    What crap.

    Some kids just love football, some kids love representing their club and communities.
    Some parents just want a happy healthy environment for their kids where they learn way more than just kicking a ball and meet people who have some goals in life.

    If youre too poor to afford it or your kid didn't make it im sorry. Maybe just leave the ****ing kids alone who just want a bit more out of life.

    While we are the subject of made up stats, id argue less than 1% of parents walk around crowing how their kid is gonna play in the Prem. How bout leaving the 99% alone to enjoy their kids having a go at something.

    Miserable pricks.
    Well Said. 👏👏👏

  14. #94
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Plague View Post
    Again with this shit?
    So don't learn to play guitar as you'll never be in a famous band, don't learn to cook because you'll never own a restaurant and don't learn to swim because you'll never win gold at the Olympics?
    What crap.

    Some kids just love football, some kids love representing their club and communities.
    Some parents just want a happy healthy environment for their kids where they learn way more than just kicking a ball and meet people who have some goals in life.

    If youre too poor to afford it or your kid didn't make it im sorry. Maybe just leave the ****ing kids alone who just want a bit more out of life.

    While we are the subject of made up stats, id argue less than 1% of parents walk around crowing how their kid is gonna play in the Prem. How bout leaving the 99% alone to enjoy their kids having a go at something.

    Miserable pricks.
    👍👍👍😁

  15. #95
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Plague View Post
    Again with this shit?
    So don't learn to play guitar as you'll never be in a famous band, don't learn to cook because you'll never own a restaurant and don't learn to swim because you'll never win gold at the Olympics?
    What crap.

    Some kids just love football, some kids love representing their club and communities.
    Some parents just want a happy healthy environment for their kids where they learn way more than just kicking a ball and meet people who have some goals in life.

    If youre too poor to afford it or your kid didn't make it im sorry. Maybe just leave the ****ing kids alone who just want a bit more out of life.

    While we are the subject of made up stats, id argue less than 1% of parents walk around crowing how their kid is gonna play in the Prem. How bout leaving the 99% alone to enjoy their kids having a go at something.

    Miserable pricks.
    Spot on👍

  16. #96
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Plague View Post
    Again with this shit?
    So don't learn to play guitar as you'll never be in a famous band, don't learn to cook because you'll never own a restaurant and don't learn to swim because you'll never win gold at the Olympics?
    What crap.

    Some kids just love football, some kids love representing their club and communities.
    Some parents just want a happy healthy environment for their kids where they learn way more than just kicking a ball and meet people who have some goals in life.

    If youre too poor to afford it or your kid didn't make it im sorry. Maybe just leave the ****ing kids alone who just want a bit more out of life.

    While we are the subject of made up stats, id argue less than 1% of parents walk around crowing how their kid is gonna play in the Prem. How bout leaving the 99% alone to enjoy their kids having a go at something.

    Miserable pricks.
    This is fair comment but it doesn't have to cost over a $1000 to 'have a go at something'. Like it or not football are losing kids to the game purely based on costs, its a sport it shouldn't have to be that expensive that you have to decide whether you can afford it or not for your kids to play at the highest level. Senior amateur player wages are slowly killing the 'elite stream football' and we as a nation will continually get globally worse until something is done. The elite kids in every state federation in Australia maybe top 50 or 100 kids should be the ones that are getting free registration not the 20 to 30 year old NPL 1st graders that just piss all their cash up the wall on a end of season trip. We have it all wrong.

  17. #97
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontknowmuch View Post
    This is fair comment but it doesn't have to cost over a $1000 to 'have a go at something'. Like it or not football are losing kids to the game purely based on costs, its a sport it shouldn't have to be that expensive that you have to decide whether you can afford it or not for your kids to play at the highest level. Senior amateur player wages are slowly killing the 'elite stream football' and we as a nation will continually get globally worse until something is done. The elite kids in every state federation in Australia maybe top 50 or 100 kids should be the ones that are getting free registration not the 20 to 30 year old NPL 1st graders that just piss all their cash up the wall on a end of season trip. We have it all wrong.
    Interesting thought. So if the best seniors in town dont get offered much will they give it away? no chance, theyll find other motivations. However, clubs will always try to outbid each other for these players. $$$ is still king.
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    i was always under the impression the company that made the grandstands just dropped them off at the ground and no one bothered to put them into the position they were meant to be in.

  18. #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontknowmuch View Post
    This is fair comment but it doesn't have to cost over a $1000 to 'have a go at something'.
    I'll jump in here.Your point about regos overall is fair but it doesnt cost $1000 to have a go playing football.You can do it cheaper any manner of ways.Its been discussed before but for 30 odd weeks of 3 sessions (2 x training and 1 x game) it works out to be cheaper than most other sports out there. Add in these kids play and train with higher level facilities and coaches and add in any gear and its not as expensive as it seems.Plus, many parents can easily put a value on their kids dedicating themselves to something and the life lessons that come along with it.My son is in his 4th year of SAP/JDL and needs to decide if he wants to chase an NPL spot next year.If he doesnt then I wont consider one cent or one second of the last 4 years as a waste.You can just enjoy the journey rather than worry about the ending.

  19. #99
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    I'll jump in here.Your point about regos overall is fair but it doesnt cost $1000 to have a go playing football.You can do it cheaper any manner of ways.Its been discussed before but for 30 odd weeks of 3 sessions (2 x training and 1 x game) it works out to be cheaper than most other sports out there. Add in these kids play and train with higher level facilities and coaches and add in any gear and its not as expensive as it seems.Plus, many parents can easily put a value on their kids dedicating themselves to something and the life lessons that come along with it.My son is in his 4th year of SAP/JDL and needs to decide if he wants to chase an NPL spot next year.If he doesnt then I wont consider one cent or one second of the last 4 years as a waste.You can just enjoy the journey rather than worry about the ending.
    Sort of missing the point, i agree when you go down to an hourly rate the NPL/JDL kids are are doing well in comparison to maybe dancing and the like, but AFL, Cricket , League, Union, basketball are much cheaper options and particularly AFL are getting more and more kids for this reason. And i'm not saying its a waste of time and money if you do pay for it for a period of time and they give up, any investement that see your kid developing and enjoying life is a good one. Any team sport will help all kids in one way or another. What if you had 4 kids in the JDL system would it change your mind? Anyone paying over max $700 is purely paying money to the club that is spent on everything else other than your child's development.

    If your paying $1000 there is at least $300 that is going to paying for Senior Wages. JDL kids 75, Youth and 18's another 75. So thats roughly 150 kids at $300 = $45k which is conservative because I know some clubs are charging well over $1500 rego in those cases the take would be in excess of $100k ravaged from parents that makes no difference to their kids development. Charge the same money and put that back into facilities/training that will help these kids be the best they can be and many will stay loyal and not ask for money to play 1st grade for them. Putting money into 1st graders pockets is killing the game, the senior players will still play.

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontknowmuch View Post
    Sort of missing the point, i agree when you go down to an hourly rate the NPL/JDL kids are are doing well in comparison to maybe dancing and the like, but AFL, Cricket , League, Union, basketball are much cheaper options and particularly AFL are getting more and more kids for this reason. And i'm not saying its a waste of time and money if you do pay for it for a period of time and they give up, any investement that see your kid developing and enjoying life is a good one. Any team sport will help all kids in one way or another. What if you had 4 kids in the JDL system would it change your mind? Anyone paying over max $700 is purely paying money to the club that is spent on everything else other than your child's development.

    If your paying $1000 there is at least $300 that is going to paying for Senior Wages. JDL kids 75, Youth and 18's another 75. So thats roughly 150 kids at $300 = $45k which is conservative because I know some clubs are charging well over $1500 rego in those cases the take would be in excess of $100k ravaged from parents that makes no difference to their kids development. Charge the same money and put that back into facilities/training that will help these kids be the best they can be and many will stay loyal and not ask for money to play 1st grade for them. Putting money into 1st graders pockets is killing the game, the senior players will still play.
    Simple put if you donít want to pay the $1000, go and play community soccer for a fraction of the costs. If you want to compare apples with apples. Otherwise stop whinging about seniors and how much goes where, reality is the seniors of today weíre juniors once and paid their way also..

    Who really cares what it costs, itís an individual decision if they want to pay it to play under those competitions then great if they donít then play community.

    Nothing worse then reading about people whinging about the cost vs other sports and about people wanting to throw stats about how many are going to be professionals etc

    Or whoís kids do clinics or extra coaching outside of JDL/NPL because they think there kids are better 🤦*♂️🤦*♂️

    At the end of the day, if a parent chooses to spend THEIR money to give THEIR child every opportunity to be the best they can be who are we to comment positively or negatively

    I hope at some point this forum gets back to discussing results and performances etc and not who spends what

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •