Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: 2021 NPL Youth Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
    Cook's Hill joining NPL next season.
    in firsts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Newysports2.0 View Post
    The name is obviously a pisstake if you can’t tell
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    the pisstake is on, who would call themselves after a pedo.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    in firsts?
    Across all grades, yes

Quote Originally Posted by Isthisforreal View Post
    The proposed new model that was put to clubs will go along way to providing a better outcome for all clubs and will see a much more even competition for the lesser clubs to be competitive in. Will give more kids a sense of enjoyment from their football and hopefully longer term build better clubs
    Isn't NPL about development though. It's about what the best DEVELOPMENT is for the kids, regardless of club. Even competition? Does that help their development or just the clubs and parents feel better about who's winning or losing? You can get enjoyment from kicking around in the back yard, not paying $1000 - $2k for a bit of fun.

At the end of the day I want them to sell how it helps player development not how it makes the ladder look "more even" or how it helps the clubs.

I can guarantee there will be players leave when cooks hill move and stop being at the top of the ladder - I could see the same happening with new Lambton. A lot of possibly decent kids are in that competition because they want to win all the time and not necessarily work hard against tougher competition - otherwise I don't know why you'd be there instead of playing NPL to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    Thanks to you both for the responses.I have a son going from JDL 12's into 13's next year and its a pretty confusing merry go round of opinions and advice on which way he should go.The general thought is that there are 6 consistently performing NPL youth clubs and the next step seems to be the top 3 clubs in NL1 before the 'bottom' NPL clubs.Obviously with the first crop of JDL kids coming into 13's it hopefully boosts the overall level across the board but the news of promotion/relegation should hopefully mean kids can just find the environment thats best for them but not be forever stuck at a particular level.It sounds like a pretty good idea so hopefully it gets a chance to play out and the kids get to grow at their own pace.
    I don't know why you'd go to newfm if a NPL club is an option. The ladder isn't as important as people would have you think. Its no different to SAP, if you want to develop the best player, you go and find the best players to play against - if you aren't playing against the best week in and week out, what is the standard you are going to develop to? Also a lot of clubs have different policies on bringing their youth through and playing up. Might not be as big a consideration at 13, but by the time you hit 15/16 you are thinking about senior football and want to be somewhere thats keen to back your player if thats what they want from their football. If your player has the right mindset they can be successful at any of the NPL clubs and play senior football - they don't have to win a youth grand final to do that. Im not even sure if that increases your chances of playing senior football or not, but I guess some only feel successful if they win consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    I don't know why you'd go to newfm if a NPL club is an option. The ladder isn't as important as people would have you think. Its no different to SAP, if you want to develop the best player, you go and find the best players to play against - if you aren't playing against the best week in and week out, what is the standard you are going to develop to? Also a lot of clubs have different policies on bringing their youth through and playing up. Might not be as big a consideration at 13, but by the time you hit 15/16 you are thinking about senior football and want to be somewhere thats keen to back your player if thats what they want from their football. If your player has the right mindset they can be successful at any of the NPL clubs and play senior football - they don't have to win a youth grand final to do that. Im not even sure if that increases your chances of playing senior football or not, but I guess some only feel successful if they win consistently.
    Firstly cheers for the response,and I cant disagree with anything you've said here.In a perfect world NPL should have the best players and best coaches.What im finding though is its not the case across the board.My main priority is to get my kid the best coaching and to play and train against the best kids possible but also to get him at a level where there is enough enjoyment in it for him to maintain his enthusiasm for the game.In the merry go round so far we've seen good coaches who have been in the JDL system moving to NL1 youth teams next year and wanting to take their players with them.If im being honest i think my kid is somewhere right in the middle of the talent pool for his age.He wants to trial at all the clubs he can get an invite to and if he makes any of them of course they will be the priority.He is happy to move with a coach that knows him to the NL1 if he doesnt get in but hes adamant he wants to use it as a springboard to get back into the NPL group.I just dont know how enjoyable it will be if hes in a team getting flogged every week if hes not learning.I agree its a delicate balance by thinking that winning at a lower level is the best way to get better.This year has been a great example of how i think the program should be,my son has won way less games than ever but hes improved out of sight because his coach has challenged him all the way.If he keeps up that pathway he'll get to where he deserves to be.

Isn't NPL about development though. It's about what the best DEVELOPMENT is for the kids, regardless of club. Even competition? Does that help their development or just the clubs and parents feel better about who's winning or losing?
    Yes it is about development, the top 5-6 clubs in NPL aren't being helped for their development when 12 of their 22 games are against easy opposition. The bottom 4 NPL teams aren't getting development if they get smashed every week, same with some of the top teams in NewFM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Yes it is about development, the top 5-6 clubs in NPL aren't being helped for their development when 12 of their 22 games are against easy opposition. The bottom 4 NPL teams aren't getting development if they get smashed every week, same with some of the top teams in NewFM.
    It’s the total opposite for goalkeepers though

Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    It’s the total opposite for goalkeepers though
    Well yes keepers do learn a lot as they get peppered with shots for 80 mins.

Prediction Time

Firstly the minor premiers are all set in stone and will not alter from the following. You can take this to the bank:

U13s Magic, U14s Olympic, U15s Olympic, U16s Edgeworth

Club Champions will be Edgeworth

Now for the grand finals:
    U13s Magic vs Jaffas with a Magic win
    U14s Olympic vs Maitland with an Olympic win
    U15s Olympic vs Edgeworth with an Olympic win
    U16s Edgeworth vs Magic with an Edgeworth win

Thanks for coming ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Carl View Post
    Prediction Time

Firstly the minor premiers are all set in stone and will not alter from the following. You can take this to the bank:

U16s Edgeworth vs Magic with an Edgeworth win
    Premiers yes. Magic are almost unbeatable in 13s but emotions do funny things under pressure. GF winners ill chose all opposites.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Carl View Post
    Prediction Time

U16s Edgeworth vs Mag- ic with an Edgeworth win

Thanks for coming ladies.
    Grand Final:
    13's - Magic vs Jaffa's. Jaffa's victory.
    14's - Olympic vs Edgeworth. Olympic victory
    15's - Olympic vs Azzurri. Olympic victory.
    16's - Magic vs Jaffa's. Magic victory.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Interesting to look at the Premier Youth Trophy 2 NPL and 2 NL1 teams through to the finals. 1 NL1 team finished top of the group the other NL1 team finished second on goal difference. Cooks Hill not through

In the 15s more strength in the NPL teams but possible one NL1 team gets through. See if it is our new NPL club Cooks Hill

Interesting to look at the Premier Youth Trophy 2 NPL and 2 NL1 teams through to the finals. 1 NL1 team finished top of the group the other NL1 team finished second on goal difference. Cooks Hill not through

In the 15s more strength in the NPL teams but possible one NL1 team gets through. See if it is our new NPL club Cooks Hill
    I don't know NL drew with Adamstown and won 1-0 over city who beat Adamstown 2-0. If you are trying to indicate they are better I don't think it really says that. I think the discussion about replacing NPL clubs at the bottom with NL1 clubs wouldn't really change anything.

I don't know NL drew with Adamstown and won 1-0 over city who beat Adamstown 2-0. If you are trying to indicate they are better I don't think it really says that. I think the discussion about replacing NPL clubs at the bottom with NL1 clubs wouldn't really change anything.
    Clearly what I am saying is that the gap isn't there between the bottom of NPL and the top of NL1

Clearly what I am saying is that the gap isn't there between the bottom of NPL and the top of NL1
    When the NPL are getting games of over 10 nil then I bet the top NL1 clubs would be better.

Agreed.It would be interesting to know how many of the kids in these dominant NL1 teams are offered spots/or trial for spots in NPL each year.Not sure who said it on here but it sounds like some are more than happy to stay in the lower tier and win comps than pit themselves against the top level of talent in their ages.Or is it that they arent being given the opportunities because they are playing in a supposedly lower level?

Agreed.It would be interesting to know how many of the kids in these dominant NL1 teams are offered spots/or trial for spots in NPL each year.Not sure who said it on here but it sounds like some are more than happy to stay in the lower tier and win comps than pit themselves against the top level of talent in their ages.Or is it that they arent being given the opportunities because they are playing in a supposedly lower level?
    Not sure if that is really the case as to why the top players don't want to go. Some don't go because they don't want the extra work, some don't go because they feel they will get better development at NL1 because of coaches, some don't get a look in at NPL clubs and some hear bad stuff about some NPL clubs and don't want to go to that. I heard one U13 coach tell a player not to go to one of the lower NPL clubs because that club is shit you won't learn anything and you will hate it, really that coach wanted to ensure he had a player that would be one of the best in the comp. That player did end up going to the NPL club in question and has now even spent some time playing U14 games.

"Better development" is the most over rated crap for mine around here. What are we developing? NPL or NL1 grade? These Kids are already there and playing this by 13s. What is really the point of hitting the supposed highs of NPL youth? Chest beating in NPL isnt really that much better in the long run than NL1.
    Let's face it we as a football population in the Hunter play where we are comfortable, happy with coaches or god forbid our home club. No one going is going to earn much here.
    I just dont see the point. Aleague contract? lol I dont blame the kids for pulling out by 16s to all age for a trophy as the chances of making it "professional" in Aus is nearly zilch.

Is there much difference in how everything works out by the end of U16s? Need to be hitting Sydney, Melb or OS by 16s if you are going to use all of the development.

Any talk of where semis being played?
    Last edited by Jim; 23-07-2021 at 07:55 PM.

Not sure if that is really the case as to why the top players don't want to go. Some don't go because they don't want the extra work, some don't go because they feel they will get better development at NL1 because of coaches, some don't get a look in at NPL clubs and some hear bad stuff about some NPL clubs and don't want to go to that. I heard one U13 coach tell a player not to go to one of the lower NPL clubs because that club is shit you won't learn anything and you will hate it, really that coach wanted to ensure he had a player that would be one of the best in the comp. That player did end up going to the NPL club in question and has now even spent some time playing U14 games.
    Hi guys.

This is a fantastic discussion. Thanks for having it.

My son is headed to U13 next season and we are currently at this crossroads. He is a higher performing player in a NL1 U12 SAP team and he doesn’t want to leave his coach and team but wants to play NPL. If as is being said the youth league is decoupled and his club are included then I see no point him going anywhere because he’ll get the competition he craves.

BUT I just don’t know how much better the environment is at NPL clubs. We have been with our club since Noah’s ark.

I’m realistic enough to know he might not find a place in those top tier NPL clubs but believe him strong enough for many of the others. I assume the top tier U13 teams will mainly pick from their SAP squads, and rightly so.

A