Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NPL Youth Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    Wow, predictions for junior football, please, let’s just hope each child improves and becomes a better person for the experience without mum and dad checking scores and tables, some people just don’t get it
    This isn’t the SAP forums. Lol. Considering wins is how people seem to value youth NPL clubs there’s really no other way around it. If you don’t improve results or have kids getting into the jets etc there’s not much else to measure it by unfortunately.

What was up with Macquarie Park this week? all games canceled, surely the fields weren’t that wet.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    What was up with Macquarie Park this week? all games canceled, surely the fields weren’t that wet.
    I was told unofficially that the tractor mower leaked oil all over the ground making it unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    U13s - Magic, Jaffa's, Maitland, Olympic
    U14s - Magic, MNC, Olympic, Rosebuds
    U15s - Azzurri, Magic, Olympic, Rosebuds
    U16s - Edgy, Magic, Jaffa's, Olympic

Is it definitely still top 4 this year?
    You tipped Rosebuds in 14s and 15s but not Edgeworth.

Today’s results: U14 Edgy 7 Buds 0, U15 Edgy 9 Buds 1

Good luck Aegon! 😂

Edgy 13s just walked it in today. will be up there.

Wonder how North Coast enjoyed their trip? Playing Weston at Speers Point then told to hot to play. The magic wet bulb went over 26.

Did they get on at all?
    Last edited by Jim; 13-03-2021 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Carl View Post

Good luck Aegon! 😂
    Plus Magic 6-1 over the jaffas wasn’t the ideal start for your top 4

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Carl View Post

Good luck Aegon! 😂
    Proves he knows nothing

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    Proves he knows nothing

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Some interesting results from this weekend.

Surprising to see Olympic only manage one win against Edgeworth, would've expected the 13s and 14s to also have won

19-0 for Lambton in the 13s, going to be a long year for North Coast consdiering that Jaffas went down 6-1 to Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post

Surprising to see Olympic only manage one win against Edgeworth, would've expected the 13s and 14s to also have won

19-0 for Lambton in the 13s, going to be a long year for North Coast consdiering that Jaffas went down 6-1 to Magic
    Poor kids. that's a rough start. I don't think covid last year helped, no travelling for gala days. No state champs. The new SAP keeping kids local and not travelling.

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    Poor kids. that's a rough start. I don't think covid last year helped, no travelling for gala days. No state champs. The new SAP keeping kids local and not travelling.
    Wouldn't this years 12's still have been part of the association SAP in 2020? Or did North Coast not compete?

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post

Charlestown 7-1 over Lake Mac after going down 6-2 to Maitland

Looking like a lopsided competition

Quote Originally Posted by Take it easy View Post
    Looking like a lopsided competition
    It has been lopsided for years. No easy answer. Playing for your "local" club seems the easiest. Over beers with mates on the weekend, we came up with a point system for NPL/NL1 youth:
    1 point if a kid lives within 5km of home ground
    2 points if between 5 and 15km of ground
    3 points if over 15km of ground.
    Dispensations available for remote clubs (i.e., not in greater Newcastle/Lake Macquarie. Dispensations available for family history with a club.
    Clubs can spend 20 points per team.
    NNSW appoint a commissioner to be final arbitrator.

Call Northern League 1 NPL2 and roll both youth comps into a promotion / relegation system based on club championship system
    Senior clubs can't fill youth teams, then back to ZL and give ZL teams a crack.
    Comps to be based on the number of actual clubs fielding teams (no multi byes like this year)

Discuss
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    It has been lopsided for years. No easy answer. Playing for your "local" club seems the easiest. Over beers with mates on the weekend, we came up with a point system for NPL/NL1 youth:
    Dispensations available for remote clubs (i.e., not in greater Newcastle/Lake Macquarie. Dispensations available for family history with a club.

Call Northern League 1 NPL2 and roll both youth comps into a promotion / relegation system based on club championship system
    Comps to be based on the number of actual clubs fielding teams (no multi byes like this year)

Discuss
    I agree there should be a separation from seniors and youth.
    I agree in a club championship format.
    I agree in promotion and relegation.
    I believe there should be 8 clubs in NPL 1 and 8 clubs in NPL 2 to play each other 3 times over the season.
    I would really question if North Coast should remain a part of the youth comp.
    I like the idea of a points system but not sure if it would be feasible.

Like the intention. I like the idea of spreading talent but I think it sacrifices individual development for a logistically even competition (but will still be lopsided imo).
    Who are we to stop kids/parents seeking the best development for their kids.
    Not all players are equal and not all clubs are equal in terms of what they offer. I don’t think we can stop young Johnny going to play for Floraville Philanthropists because they have griffo coaching and have the best training facilities.
    As parents, I’d be interested to know if you’d be happy to have your child play for the “local” club that finished last and doesn’t have much interest in youth, or to a well renowned club with good coaching and facilities.

Sadly, I think the days of loyalty are gone.
    This is supposed to be an elite competition. It’s a representative team essentially.
    Clubs that offer a good program will flourish.
    Agree to separate youth from seniors. Not sure a strict promotion relegation should be in place though (eg 1 up 1 down). Clubs relying on kids that are 12-16 to keep their club in top division etc can lead poor treatment. I’d rather NNSW look at poorly performing clubs and make those decisions in consultation. Or separate into geographical or “ability” pools so there’s no “NPL Youth 1/2”. And play like the NBA Eg 2 games vs same pool, 1 game vs teams outside of your pool.
    Last edited by Bremsstrahlung; 31-03-2021 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Like the intention. I like the idea of spreading talent but I think it sacrifices individual development for a logistically even competition (but will still be lopsided imo).
    Not all players are equal and not all clubs are equal in terms of what they offer. I don’t think we can stop young Johnny going to play for Floraville Philanthropists because they have griffo coaching and have the best training facilities.
    As parents, I’d be interested to know if you’d be happy to have your child play for the “local” club that finished last and doesn’t have much interest in youth, or to a well renowned club with good coaching and facilities.

This is supposed to be an elite competition. It’s a representative team essentially.
    Agree to separate youth from seniors. Not sure a strict promotion relegation should be in place though (eg 1 up 1 down). Clubs relying on kids that are 12-16 to keep their club in top division etc can lead poor treatment. I’d rather NNSW look at poorly performing clubs and make those decisions in consultation. Or separate into geographical or “ability” pools so there’s no “NPL Youth 1/2”. And play like the NBA Eg 2 games vs same pool, 1 game vs teams outside of your pool.
    I have to agree, I know parents that drive straight past other clubs purely because they want their children to develop but also enjoy their football. Culture at some clubs in the junior system especially JDL is extremely poor and NPL isn’t much better. To some clubs it’s the top down approach and by the time you get to the younger age groups it’s pretty ordinary,

Players owe their local club just as much loyalty as the club has shown them.Generally in life any sense of entitlement is never a good thing.

Discuss
    In theory a 5km diameter would ensure nearly all of Newcastle and Lake Macquarie are covered. Kids from Swansea, Port Stephens, Greater Maitland & Cessnock areas etc would need dispensation of some variety though.

With a squad of 16 you could have 2 players from outside 15km or 4 players from 5-15km distance.

My own child would fall within the 5-15km distance rule at his club and with the 5km rule in place he would only have 1 NPL club to choose from.

This may be an advantage or disadvantage for the inner city clubs. More players to choose from, however more clubs fighting for the same players.

Personally I don't have any major objections to it.

I would just prefer decoupling Youth from Seniors completely. Complete youth squads should only be a requirement for entry to NPL.

2 divisions of youth with promotion/relegation based on youth club championship.

I said it in a different thread I think but this would also allow greater flexibility for pro/rel between Northern League & Zone League in seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post

Two things:
    1. Promotion and relegation does not reflect from seniors to youth. Theoretically Olympic could win First grade and their youth gets relegated.
    2 Griff, Griffo, Lord Griff etc ALWAYS has a capital. You should be ashamed of yourself for such a failing.

I think the "lesser" clubs of the NL1 would see this as a great way to grow thier club. My exerince has been that NL1 clubs treat thier kids better than NPL clubs. I think NL1 clubs would seek out good coaches.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Two things:
    1. Promotion and relegation does not reflect from seniors to youth. Theoretically Olympic could win First grade and their youth gets relegated.
    2 Griff, Griffo, Lord Griff etc ALWAYS has a capital. You should be ashamed of yourself for such a failing.

I think the "lesser" clubs of the NL1 would see this as a great way to grow thier club. My exerince has been that NL1 clubs treat thier kids better than NPL clubs. I think NL1 clubs would seek out good coaches.
    Apologies to Lord Griff. I’m gonna scapegoat phone reply as the reason haha.

Understand it’s separate to seniors, I just am right on the fence about how I feel about strict promotion/relegation for 12-16 year old unpaid players.
    I’m concerned about the ramifications for clubs if they have a weak 16s, and promising 13-15s, the effect on those “promising teams and players” who want to be in the top division.

Could be maybe on board with non weighted club championship.
    Or an unofficial promotion/relegation where we trust (lol) NNSW to look at clubs performance and if there’s say 1,2 or 3 clubs at the bottom of top division not performing, and 2 outstanding teams in division 2, relegate 2 and promote 2.

Not a problem with your proposal, but I just can’t get my head around having a promotion/relegation system in youth football when we haven’t had a serious ongoing pro/rel system in NPL seniors for over a decade. The reasons they gave to give clubs stability and allow them to focus on development of players, systems and facilities. I think that approach is much better suited to youth football and save the promotion/relegation for the paid semi-professional clubs in NPL and NL1 to battle it out and deal with the pressure.

Even if you do similar to SAP and the term NPL youth encompasses the broader competition and break it up into smaller groups based on something.
    My fear is that clubs will just end up as a big merry go round year to year.

And the other side of me thinks that we are already talking about no scores/points. At some point, we need to change to developing winning mentality.