Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 291

Thread: 2021 Premier Club SAP

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    im not arguing its difficult to find coaches.im just saying that putting out expressions of interest after fees have been paid would be concerning for parents who have paid good money thinking they are getting a better level of coaching.Clubs are already out there trialling and in full training mode.If my kid was yet to be appointed a coach id be concerned they were getting value for money.
    Do you need more than the basic game training certificate to coach JDL?

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by scowling View Post
    G'day SapDad - yeah I'm still coaching this year; we only had one U9 team last year and have moved to two U10 teams hence the need for an extra coach.
    I've tried coaching all 20+ kids at once and it's bloody difficult.
    Good to hear.All the best for the season ahead.

  3. #43
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    Do you need more than the basic game training certificate to coach JDL?
    The minimum requirements from Northern is the skills training certificate

  4. #44
    Senior Member Aegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Valentine
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    Do you need more than the basic game training certificate to coach JDL?
    There's a difference between having a training certificate and being able to effectively train kids at JDL ages.

    I did the training certificates in the past but there is no comparison between what my sons coaches have delivered and what I could have in their place. When you are talking about the 4 core skills implementing them with the correct technique learned through experience is a huge advantage over someone who has been taught how they should be done in a classroom or in a quick overview session at Speers point.

    I am hopeful that all the clubs are not just selecting dads or mums with a certificate but are trying to find the most effective coaches available.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

    "Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    There's a difference between having a training certificate and being able to effectively train kids at JDL ages.
    ...
    I am hopeful that all the clubs are not just selecting dads or mums with a certificate but are trying to find the most effective coaches available.
    Agreed Aegon.

    I'd add however that there needs to be a balance; it's undeniably hard for clubs to find volunteers for any job, let alone one as taxing and time consuming as coaching a JDL team.
    And because of the demands of the role there needs to be an underlying desire to want to do it, and a desire to go beyond the 8 hours of face time at Speers Point Skills training and to continue to learn and develop your skills.
    This, is not for everyone. I'm certainly not going to forge a new career as a coach, but the person who I am allows me to put the time and effort in to be the best coach I can be right now. We can't expect that of all "Dads/Mums" who find themselves in this position.

    If clubs are "only" going to place parents into JDL coaching roles then they need to develop the structure to support those coaches; and I 100% believe NLFC is doing it's best with this. Bringing in Cas Wright last year and Clayton Zane this year gives lowly parent-coaches like me someone to pump for information and lean on when you're in that mid-season drag...

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Game_over View Post
    The minimum requirements from Northern is the skills training certificate
    As I mention in my other post, the skills training certificate should just be the beginning - although I'm sure it's not this for everyone

  7. #47
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by scowling View Post
    As I mention in my other post, the skills training certificate should just be the beginning - although I'm sure it's not this for everyone
    Totally agree with Aegon and Scowling. To coach in JDL the coaches need to have a desire to continue to grow as well. This can be done personally, but at the good clubs that are supporting their coaches the most effective growth will be from learning from other more experienced coaches.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Aegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Valentine
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by scowling View Post
    Agreed Aegon.

    I'd add however that there needs to be a balance; it's undeniably hard for clubs to find volunteers for any job, let alone one as taxing and time consuming as coaching a JDL team.
    And because of the demands of the role there needs to be an underlying desire to want to do it, and a desire to go beyond the 8 hours of face time at Speers Point Skills training and to continue to learn and develop your skills.
    This, is not for everyone. I'm certainly not going to forge a new career as a coach, but the person who I am allows me to put the time and effort in to be the best coach I can be right now. We can't expect that of all "Dads/Mums" who find themselves in this position.

    If clubs are "only" going to place parents into JDL coaching roles then they need to develop the structure to support those coaches; and I 100% believe NLFC is doing it's best with this. Bringing in Cas Wright last year and Clayton Zane this year gives lowly parent-coaches like me someone to pump for information and lean on when you're in that mid-season drag...
    Kudos to you Steve, It's a huge commitment and you and all other coaches have a huge amount of respect from me for the amount of time, effort & money (training aids, etc) of your own that you put into the development of young players.

    I hope it didn't come across as me being negative towards all parents as coaches, I think nearly every team in all ages would have a parent as a coach, including my sons coach who is excellent. It was more a statement of just being a parent and having a certificate was not good enough and I hope clubs try and find the most suitable person & not just the first person who applies.

    You are 100% right though that all the club supporting structures being in place is key to it all being a success.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

    "Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    804
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    There's a difference between having a training certificate and being able to effectively train kids at JDL ages.
    The question was what were the minimum requirements. The answer was correct.

    I am hopeful that all the clubs are not just selecting dads or mums with a certificate but are trying to find the most effective coaches available.
    Clubs will be doing this I know a couple clubs that ideally want the JDL coaches to be at minimum C-licence, but good luck finding enough C-Licence coaches around that actually want to coach JDL let alone enough to cover it all.


    I'm sure most clubs will be getting the most experienced as they can and then dropping down to just mum or dad.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    The question was what were the minimum requirements. The answer was correct.



    Clubs will be doing this I know a couple clubs that ideally want the JDL coaches to be at minimum C-licence, but good luck finding enough C-Licence coaches around that actually want to coach JDL let alone enough to cover it all.


    I'm sure most clubs will be getting the most experienced as they can and then dropping down to just mum or dad.


    Theres still NPL clubs with youth teams trying to get C-licenced coaches, from what I understand theres only a hundred and something around the whole hunter area, probably a lot that have been chased out of coaching from having to deal with parents or clubs TBH. Much the same as referees I would expect. Now with the girls JDL coming along as well thats a heap more girls teams that weren't in existence last season.

  11. #51
    Senior Member Aegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Valentine
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    Theres still NPL clubs with youth teams trying to get C-licenced coaches, from what I understand theres only a hundred and something around the whole hunter area, probably a lot that have been chased out of coaching from having to deal with parents or clubs TBH. Much the same as referees I would expect. Now with the girls JDL coming along as well thats a heap more girls teams that weren't in existence last season.
    What is the increase in numbers in girls teams? Is it 9's or 10's through to 12's? There would have been 4 team per age group previously run by the associations that has now turned into 7 in the local area? Will MNC or CCU be part of the competition?

    It's hard to find any concrete information.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

    "Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

  12. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Maitland
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    What is the increase in numbers in girls teams? Is it 9's or 10's through to 12's? There would have been 4 team per age group previously run by the associations that has now turned into 7 in the local area? Will MNC or CCU be part of the competition?

    It's hard to find any concrete information.
    hopefully be some draws out next week to see who is definitively in the girls JDL comp. but rough numbers Ive heard is there is no 9s at all, 10s have 4 or 5 teams and will be pooled into the lower graded 9 boys. 11s have 9 teams including CCU and 7 teams for the 12s

    would have been good to see each WPL club field a team in each of the age groups, but either the numbers or quality just were not there for a few clubs in some ages i guess.

  13. #53
    Senior Member Aegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Valentine
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by sideline88 View Post
    hopefully be some draws out next week to see who is definitively in the girls JDL comp. but rough numbers Ive heard is there is no 9s at all, 10s have 4 or 5 teams and will be pooled into the lower graded 9 boys. 11s have 9 teams including CCU and 7 teams for the 12s

    would have been good to see each WPL club field a team in each of the age groups, but either the numbers or quality just were not there for a few clubs in some ages i guess.
    Good info, I think it's a success to have this many teams in year 1. I can only think it is going to get better as awareness of the program increases.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

    "Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

  14. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Maitland
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    Good info, I think it's a success to have this many teams in year 1. I can only think it is going to get better as awareness of the program increases.
    hopefully it will see some good growth moving forward. hopefully the clubs unable to put together a 10s team this season are working in the background to secure an 11s for the following season, i know even at community level how hard it could be to put together a brand new girls team at that age

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    804
    Quote Originally Posted by sideline88 View Post
    hopefully be some draws out next week to see who is definitively in the girls JDL comp. but rough numbers Ive heard is there is no 9s at all, 10s have 4 or 5 teams and will be pooled into the lower graded 9 boys. 11s have 9 teams including CCU and 7 teams for the 12s

    would have been good to see each WPL club field a team in each of the age groups, but either the numbers or quality just were not there for a few clubs in some ages i guess.
    And also how many parents of 8yo girls knew about it? As it gets more know about girls only JDL sides they should start seeing more players. Plus price may have had a factor, I know of two girls that were pulled out of a club after they were told the fees would be $1,400 for the year. And that wasn't even one of the NPL/WPL clubs.

  16. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Maitland
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    And also how many parents of 8yo girls knew about it? As it gets more know about girls only JDL sides they should start seeing more players. Plus price may have had a factor, I know of two girls that were pulled out of a club after they were told the fees would be $1,400 for the year. And that wasn't even one of the NPL/WPL clubs.
    yeah price is definitely a huge factor and its usually dumped on parents after your child has trialed and been selected which would be heartbreaking for young kids to be pulled after selection.

    We've got a few friends with rego fees for JDL sitting around $600 for the season and have seen others advertised for $1500.

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    108
    The girls might have not been as organised this year, but I know breaking down the payments into several of a smaller amount instead of a lump sum helps, with a no play date if arrangements haven't been made. For the most part I would assume that clubs want players they have picked to play, so for me personally I would have advised those parents to have that discussion with the club, over pulling them out (I would hope they just went somewhere else).

    From what I seen the 10's age seemed to suffer more, and while I don't want to get on the gender train, girls develop much earlier, so there would be more 10s girls playing 11s / 12's, because if clubs struggle with numbers for 10s they can play up, but playing down is an issue. Hopefully northern might get in and advertise it a bit better so they can grow the program from the younger girls more next season.

    Hopefully people start to understand the weeks of training x cost of how it actually works out over the year, I still think its decent value vs dancing / gymnastics - ie 2 sessions of gym a week is about $250 a term, x 4 terms = $1000), Im actually paying less for football this year than I did in the last 2 for gymnastics.

  18. #58
    Senior Member Aegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Valentine
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    The girls might have not been as organised this year, but I know breaking down the payments into several of a smaller amount instead of a lump sum helps, with a no play date if arrangements haven't been made. For the most part I would assume that clubs want players they have picked to play, so for me personally I would have advised those parents to have that discussion with the club, over pulling them out (I would hope they just went somewhere else).

    From what I seen the 10's age seemed to suffer more, and while I don't want to get on the gender train, girls develop much earlier, so there would be more 10s girls playing 11s / 12's, because if clubs struggle with numbers for 10s they can play up, but playing down is an issue. Hopefully northern might get in and advertise it a bit better so they can grow the program from the younger girls more next season.

    Hopefully people start to understand the weeks of training x cost of how it actually works out over the year, I still think its decent value vs dancing / gymnastics - ie 2 sessions of gym a week is about $250 a term, x 4 terms = $1000), Im actually paying less for football this year than I did in the last 2 for gymnastics.
    $250 a term? My 6 year old was going to be $650 a term.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

    "Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    Hopefully people start to understand the weeks of training x cost of how it actually works out over the year, I still think its decent value vs dancing / gymnastics - ie 2 sessions of gym a week is about $250 a term, x 4 terms = $1000), Im actually paying less for football this year than I did in the last 2 for gymnastics.
    I agree this is a point most people dont get.Overall its costing about $10 per session (including games and training) for our kid to get great coaching, great exercise, a chance to meet and compete with really talented kids, experience a team environment, understand the expectations of being in an organisation and do something they love on the best facilities the city has to offer.
    Before SAP my son was involved in 3-4 different sports and activities per week anyway and the overall cost was much more than we are paying for soccer.I know theres a bit of stick on this thread about parents thinking their kid is going to play for Real Madrid, but some of us just want our kids to have the best experience available and see what becomes of it.Some of these kids will probably end up as coaches, referees, medical staff, club admins all through their level of exposure to the game at this age.Whether our son ends up making NPL next year im not really fussed, he'll make it if hes good enough.But hes always going to love his club, his mates and support them because of what they have done for him and as a parent I think thats pretty cool and well worth the money.

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    $250 a term? My 6 year old was going to be $650 a term.
    PCYC and not quite at competitive levels yet, so we probably got off cheaper, I'd imagine continuing it was only going to get more expensive!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •