Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 215

Thread: 2021 Women's Premier League thread

  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    21
    The same Charlestown Azzuri that had a Wpl side but cut the program only weeks out from the season leaving alot of the girls with no where to play? Seems about right

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Are you going with them?


    Also I never understood why you called yourself Llamas when it is the Merewether Eagles.
    Llama's came from a fever induced dream Cass had.....
    Yes will be involved, but staying on as Pres at Merewether for this year at least.

    Also current Azzuri board does not bear much relationship with that of 8+ years ago.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Aegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,003
    Quote Originally Posted by late_to_the_game View Post
    Llama's came from a fever induced dream Cass had.....
    Yes will be involved, but staying on as Pres at Merewether for this year at least.

    Also current Azzuri board does not bear much relationship with that of 8+ years ago.
    Rumours everywhere had Merewether WPL going to Jaffas. Was this something being considered that fell through or just people making guesses as to what they thought the most logical step would be?
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

    "Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    Rumours everywhere had Merewether WPL going to Jaffas. Was this something being considered that fell through or just people making guesses as to what they thought the most logical step would be?
    Hey Aegon,

    Funny u say this as today I was told New Lambton WPL were being linked to Jaffas for next season. I couldnít see this but the more you think about it...

    A

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Hey Aegon,

    Funny u say this as today I was told New Lambton WPL were being linked to Jaffas for next season. I couldn’t see this but the more you think about it...

    A
    Likely NL will now get 8 games at Arthur Edden, but zero chance of them joining Jaffas. NL are too aspirational to do that. We had 4 game days scheduled there, I am assuming they will take them over.
    Council decided 8 womens game days were what the field could handle in addition to Jaffas Senior and Youth.
    So NNSW gave NL 4 and Merewether 4...
    At some point if Jaffas does apply for the WNPL, NL could have a problem.
    Last edited by late_to_the_game; 15-02-2021 at 10:16 PM.

  6. #26
    Merewether did have discussions with Jaffa's, and it could have worked well if NCC could have helped with training facilities. When you bring in the womens programs you are nearly doubling the number of teams at the club. Chris S is a very good guy to deal with.
    Merewether has been turning away all age teams for years to manage the load on the fields, now we will say yes to fill the gap. We have added at least 2 teams so far. Merewether has about 500 interdistrict players.
    Last edited by late_to_the_game; 15-02-2021 at 10:17 PM.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    488
    Have heard Maitland are having similar headaches to other clubs who bring in WPL.
    Not enough training facilities to cater for everyone. Surely this is a problem council needs to address

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lance Yorke Field
    Posts
    1,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Have heard Maitland are having similar headaches to other clubs who bring in WPL.
    Not enough training facilities to cater for everyone. Surely this is a problem council needs to address
    Why, they should have thought of that before bringing them in. Lots of other clubs looking for more space for players that get told thats their problem.

    Next they will complain there is too much wear and tear on the pitch.

    Or did they just bring the women in to use as a bargaining chip to enhance their facilities?

    Every club, community through NPL has ground space issues. If you knowingly outgrow your capacity, thats not everyone else's problem. Divert some of the player payments into upgrades, dont stick your hand out and expect council to fix it.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Aegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,003
    Quote Originally Posted by late_to_the_game View Post
    Merewether did have discussions with Jaffa's, and it could have worked well if NCC could have helped with training facilities. When you bring in the womens programs you are nearly doubling the number of teams at the club. Chris S is a very good guy to deal with.
    Merewether has been turning away all age teams for years to manage the load on the fields, now we will say yes to fill the gap. We have added at least 2 teams so far. Merewether has about 500 interdistrict players.
    Thanks for the response, appreciate the openness.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

    "Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Have heard Maitland are having similar headaches to other clubs who bring in WPL.
    Not enough training facilities to cater for everyone. Surely this is a problem council needs to address
    Itís a juggling act sometimes with late changes to what part of the field we train on but it hasnít been too bad. Currently have plenty of room behind maitland hospital ( which has no lights so will be on the move once it gets dark earlier think we are heading to maitland park), have secured one night a week at another clubs ground to help with the load.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Itís a juggling act sometimes with late changes to what part of the field we train on but it hasnít been too bad. Currently have plenty of room behind maitland hospital ( which has no lights so will be on the move once it gets dark earlier think we are heading to maitland park), have secured one night a week at another clubs ground to help with the load.
    Think Touch Football use Maitland Park most nights of the week for their competitions.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Or did they just bring the women in to use as a bargaining chip to enhance their facilities?
    I dare say that would've been part of the consideration, all that Women's World Cup Grant money to soon be flooding in

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    Think Touch Football use Maitland Park most nights of the week for their competitions.
    Yeah I think thatís why we currently are behind the hospital training, and I think the finer details are still being worked out for the eventual move over..

  14. #34
    Due to two players being offered Jets Academy spots Azzuri/Merewether U15 Grand Final winning team is looking for two players. If interested check out the Azzuri facebook page for details.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    598
    Due to late player movement Maitland WPL U/17ís are in search of a GK. If you know of someone who is interested get them to contact me on 0421646037. Cheers Cal

  16. #36
    So there was a question in the NPL thread looking for predicted table at the end of the year. Anyone game to go on the record with their WPL 1st grade predictions?

  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Maitland
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by late_to_the_game View Post
    So there was a question in the NPL thread looking for predicted table at the end of the year. Anyone game to go on the record with their WPL 1st grade predictions?
    1. Broadmeadow Magic
    2. Newcastle Olympic
    3. Adamstown
    4. Maitland
    5. Charlestown
    6. Warners Bay
    7. Mid North Coast
    8. New Lambton

    my predictions above, new to the world of WPL football so ill just have to wait and see how she pans out. I think Maitland will be the dark horse this year since taking over the licence from Thornton

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by late_to_the_game View Post
    So there was a question in the NPL thread looking for predicted table at the end of the year. Anyone game to go on the record with their WPL 1st grade predictions?
    1. Olympic
    2. Charlestown
    3. Maitland
    4. Magic
    5. Adamstown
    6. Middies
    7. Warners Bay
    8. New Lambton

  19. #39
    Senior Member Aegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,003
    What's happened to New Lambton? Won the comp in 2019 but have completely nose dived?
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

    "Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    What's happened to New Lambton? Won the comp in 2019 but have completely nose dived?
    Hi Aegon,

    Itís been tough on New Lambton. They lost their coaches, then their best players when Olympic and Magic came into the comp.

    The new coach is pretty inexperienced at WPL level but is doing their best with what they have.

    Itís the same old problem for New Lambton, do great work developing players but canít compete with those NPL clubs when they decide they want to get involved in WPL as well.

    It will be a tough season for the Eagles.

    A

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •