Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 FFA Cup (local NNSW thread)

Quote Originally Posted by riverboy View Post
    Metford probably lucky they didn't come up against a ZPL big gun like Dudley, suns etc.

Not sure why they would enter the competition?, Especially as I'm pretty sure all age teams would have to pay the entry fee. Maybe they should look at building a zl3 side before worrying about FFA cup? Gresfords result was at least creditable.
    Yeah not sure why they entered except just to be involved. As far as I know that is there only all age team and it’s quite low and they have an O/35’s team with no juniors close to the age to make any attempt of a ZL3 team. So probably just for the experience..

And a mate of mime from Gresford said they held there own until they ran out of legs as they had one or two training sessions before the game. They were happy with it being close for as long as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Yeah not sure why they entered except just to be involved. As far as I know that is there only all age team and it’s quite low and they have an O/35’s team with no juniors close to the age to make any attempt of a ZL3 team. So probably just for the experience..

And a mate of mime from Gresford said they held there own until they ran out of legs as they had one or two training sessions before the game. They were happy with it being close for as long as it was.
    It was a decent effort from gresford, but in reality they still got beaten 8-1. So they must not have held there own for very long.
    I'm sure the Westlakes guys had it slightly different version to the gresfords lads, but a good effort none the less

Quote Originally Posted by riverboy View Post
    It was a decent effort from gresford, but in reality they still got beaten 8-1. So they must not have held there own for very long.
    I'm sure the Westlakes guys had it slightly different version to the gresfords lads, but a good effort none the less
    Gresford were up 1-0 after 15 minutes with some good build up playing leading to a cutback and good finish.

After that our goalkeeper got cold for the rest of the evening with Gresford rarely getting down our end. Once the second half came around they could not keep up with our play in the final third which lead to the score blowing out.

Gresford were constant long ball, were not used to the physicality of zone league which lead to a lot of complaining for fouls which were just solid challenges and got beaten down the wings on both sides many times.

That being said their keeper made several good saves to keep it out of double figures and their midfield kept possession quite well at times.

So a very good all age team no doubt and would not look out of place in ZL3 but nowhere near competitive against a ZL2 or ZL1 team.

New Lambton def Garden Suburb 7-0

Bel Swans 7-3 Toronto
    Wallsend 9-0 Mayfield Juniors

Beresfield 1-2 Minmi

Kahibah 5-2 Cessnock

Bel Swans 7-3 Toronto
    Wallsend 9-0 Mayfield Juniors
    Ouch ouch

Anyone know when the draw for the next round is?

Quote Originally Posted by mge61 View Post
    Anyone know when the draw for the next round is?
    This round still has games going into back end of next week + potentially washouts so add a week I guess.

Yeah we had them in Saturday J grade last year and it looks like they're dropping down to M grade this year. Not sure what experience they're hoping to gain.

Any results over the weekend

Mayfield beat Merewether 6-0.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Jet View Post
    Kurri Kurri 3 v MoTown 1

Cookers v Kurri Kurri
    8pm nxt Thurs @ LMRFF
    This game has been transferred to National Pk No.4
    Tue April 13th 7pm KO
    I just had a message from our Club Secretary that Kurri Kurri has forfeited.

Surely not?? Why go in it if you are going to forfeit? If true, they shouldn't be able to enter next year. You can't pick and choose games.

Poor form don't bother entering if you're not committed.

Pull a lucky loser out of a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Pull a lucky loser out of a hat.
    Great suggestion Brem.
    Might have been a possibility if we had notice yesterday.
    Something to consider for organisers should this occur in the future?

Another related idea: we play Morisset by default.

Onwards to Rnd 4...

Clearly the universe does not want cookers playing any games Retro. Just 1 game over the last month when others in NL1 have played 4. 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Hotline View Post
    Clearly the universe does not want cookers playing any games Retro. Just 1 game over the last month when others in NL1 have played 4. ��
    And we're 5th...