Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Emerging Jets Program working?

Is the Emerging Jets Program working?

How many years has it been running for? 7 years or so? Is 7 years long enough to make a judgement?

Has it produced any quality players? I'm not talking about those that are good at NPL level because we have produced hundreds of those for decades without the EJP.

Note: I'm talking about the EJP/Academy as one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    It's was criticism because the discussion was about rego cost and you stated ours is higher than yours

Quote Originally Posted by the_butcher View Post
    How many years has it been running for? 7 years or so? Is 7 years long enough to make a judgement?

Has it produced any quality players? I'm not talking about those that are good at NPL level because we have produced hundreds of those for decades without the EJP.

Note: I'm talking about the EJP/Academy as one.
    No

Nothing to do with producing players. It is a revenue stream first and foremost

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Nothing to do with producing players. It is a revenue stream first and foremost
    Exactly this anyone that thinks otherwise is a clown

I think everyone above is being very harsh. Even academies at some of the best clubs in the world struggle to produce players with the ability to get into their first team.

The A league is at a lower level than foreign leagues admittedly but I think the academy has produced more graduates into the first team than expected.

The biggest question that needs to be answered first of all is how is success measured? In discussions with others personally, it seems that there is unrealistic expectations on how often high level players should be produced.

Add to the above that the youth development programs have changed several times in the last 5-10 years.

Jets youth should play in the Sydney NPL comp in their own age group. From what I have seen, playing up an age in the local comp does them no favours.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Jets youth should play in the Sydney NPL comp in their own age group. From what I have seen, playing up an age in the local comp does them no favours.

If it started 7 years ago, then the oldest to go right through the system would only be 15 assuming they had U9's that year, how many of them are still in the system. How many that have passed through in those 7 years have made it to professional football. I'm not sure how many if any have but I know the number would be no where near the amount from this area that made it to professionalism prior to putting all the most talented kids together in the same team and nothing else.

Dumbest move I have ever seen and Newcastle Football will pay for it for many years to come. Way to many former Jets youth players either not playing or just kicking around with mates in the lower leagues. There drive has always been to create an outstanding individual and the funny thing that outstanding kid more than likely would have been whether he was training on synthetic 5 times a week or kicking a ball around in his backyard at home and playing club football on the weekends.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    I think this also. Put them in the front line for State comparison. If they cant make it from here they never will.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontknowmuch View Post
    I'm not sure how many if any have but I know the number would be no where near the amount from this area that made it to professionalism prior to putting all the most talented kids together in the same team and nothing else.

There drive has always been to create an outstanding individual and the funny thing that outstanding kid more than likely would have been whether he was training on synthetic 5 times a week or kicking a ball around in his backyard at home and playing club football on the weekends.
    Why is this. Why do players make it in spite of these nnsw systems?

Do we have the talent but not chosen because they arent in the Sydney or Melbourne system

Banned
    Maybe the system isn't good enough??

Watch the Jets Yoof teams they play the same BS system every year regardless

The way they play works really well when they get on top and win the game but put them in a situation where they have to BATTLE and they don't know how to do it.
    This to me is the EJ program failing
    They need to be taught to fight more than they are

Bread n Butter result in world football is a 1-0 win
    I would guess the Jets Yoof team have had less than 10 of these in 7 years

That to me is the problem. Coaches are happy if they play structure and do what is wanted as opposed to the only important KPI the scoreboard

Why can't the Jet Youth team play in the NPL finals?

It seems like that would have a huge impact on motivation for players? Almost like at the most important age for taking the next step in their development that they are playing in a non competitive environment?

TBF - why bother playing in the NPL at all?
    Revamp the NYL set up to be played as a curtain raiser to the A league games. A full season playing against the other best youth in the country?

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    Why is this. Why do players make it in spite of these nnsw systems?

Do we have the talent but not chosen because they arent in the Sydney or Melbourne system
    we have the talent, the problem is that some parents cant afford the fees, some can.
    EJ teams should be chosen on outright ability not who's parents can pay the fee's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    we have the talent, the problem is that some parents cant afford the fees, some can.
    EJ teams should be chosen on outright ability not who's parents can pay the fee's.
    Exactly one of the biggest reasons why we aren't developing a lot of A-league and above talent. Soccer is fast becoming a rich man's sport in this country. Other countries top teams don't charge anything to their young players, sign them on a contract, sell them and pay for your academy that way. Ajax sends a bus around to collect players bring them to training and drops them back off again so not even the parents have to worry about being able to get them to training

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Exactly one of the biggest reasons why we aren't developing a lot of A-league and above talent. Soccer is fast becoming a rich man's sport in this country. Other countries top teams don't charge anything to their young players, sign them on a contract, sell them and pay for your academy that way. Ajax sends a bus around to collect players bring them to training and drops them back off again so not even the parents have to worry about being able to get them to training
    But that also shows the short.coming of the HAL and the franchises

Not one of them shows any interest in developing players to actually on sell for transfer fees

Transfer fees are someone what of a bonus that occasionally falls in a clubs lap by fortune

We as a nation should be regularly on selling talent off shore

Problem is the model is flawed and we show no interest in it at all

How many million $ transfer fees have been received by HAL sides??

Can't be many in 15 years

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    We as a nation should be regularly on selling talent off shore
    its the chicken and egg thing though innit?

Our youth is nowhere near the level of other nations is it? who wants to pay good money for something they can get from Asia/Africa (and dare we say middle east) now.

but

where does the money come from to improve the youth talent in the country.

You hate that the parents pay for it.
    the governing body doesnt have the money.
    the clubs dont have the money.

so where does it come from?

hopefully the clubs, once they take over the league, make it worthwhile to themselves to develop, and sell, their talent.
    i fear its the only way forward.

but is everyone hating on that method too?
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

How many million $ transfer fees have been received by HAL sides??

Can't be many in 15 years

remember that time we got that undisclosed transfer fee for all those players Middleby sold off?

got to be at least $20 bazillion right? They didnt want to tell us so the other clubs didnt get jelly.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post

hopefully the clubs, once they take over the league, make it worthwhile to themselves to develop, and sell, their talent.
    You are 100% right. The only issue is if clubs choose to take the easy money[ ripping off parents with kids that will never cut it] or playing the long game and taking on the risk that they will be able to develop top level talent.

Clubs have done it in the past - no reason why we can't again.

However, I don't think we have the balance of technically gifted players and those with a winning at all costs mentality right just yet.

A Kaz Patafta / Matt Simon hybrid is probably what we should be aiming for.

Instead it seems like we are trying to turn every kid into a Kaz Patafta.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 02-05-2019 at 08:14 AM.

An ongoing issue I have been told about (no first hand experience) is that in playing in an age group higher, the Jets youth program lean toward selecting larger boys based on physical characteristics over boys who are at a higher level of technical competence.

Does this have any truth to it?

If so, it seems a short term gain at the expense of developing players with a higher level of potential.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    its the chicken and egg thing though innit?

Our youth is nowhere near the level of other nations is it? who wants to pay good money for something they can get from Asia/Africa (and dare we say middle east) now.

but

where does the money come from to improve the youth talent in the country.

You hate that the parents pay for it.
    the governing body doesnt have the money.
    the clubs dont have the money.

but is everyone hating on that method too?
    Why is money the answer??

Plenty of places on the planet produce footballers with very little cash spent on the process

How about change of mentality being the issue

Why keep recycling your Appuahs Hooles Nick Wards etc instead of playing the youth ??

That the key problem

How many managers out there give minimal opportunity to playing kids when there is no threat of relegation

Clubs in the NSL use to have an interest in getting transfer fees

Why has this now stopped under Lots failed franchise league model??

Why is money the answer??

Plenty of places on the planet produce footballers with very little cash spent on the process
    where are these places?

also, everything costs money. these kids gonna just wake up one day with the skills of Griff?

Facilities cost money, equipment costs money, coaching costs money, sports science costs money, travel costs money.
    all of it costs money.
    Seems like I am WRONG