Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jetstream AMA with Shane Mattiske

The Dill takes Furns interview and makes a story out of it with no credit to its origin. Lazy.

If the Newcastle community are ever going to own the Jets, now is their chance

ROBERT DILLON

ALL business models - including the possibility of community ownership - will be considered on their merits after last week's temporary takeover of the Newcastle Jets.

The Jets have been under new management for the past nine days, after Chinese businessman Martin Lee had his franchise licence terminated because he was unable, or unwilling, to address the club's spiralling debts.

A group of A-League club owners have stepped in to bankroll the Jets for an indefinite interim period, in the hope of initially stabilising the club before searching for a long-term solution.

Since the A-League's foundation season, the Jets have been privately owned by wealthy individuals, as is the case with countless sporting franchises around the world.

But according to the club's new executive chairman, Shane Mattiske, all options are on the table in a quest to find the "best fit" for Newcastle.

Asked specifically about community ownership, he was hopeful "local interests" would be part of the new governance structure.

"We're certainly not fixed in our outlook," Mattiske told the Newcastle Herald.

"When we think about ownership, we're happy to look at different models.

"That's not a commitment to a community-ownership model, but that's one option we'd be happy to explore, along with a range of other options.

"It's not a model that's been proven in the Australian market, but that's not to say we wouldn't consider it, along with other alternatives. Nothing has been ruled out."

Mattiske said the incumbent ownership group were in no rush to offload the franchise.

"It's still week one, so only early days," he said.

"Our focus at the moment is stability. In time we'll turn our attention to the ownership model, but there is already recognition that the ideal scenario is to have an element of local ownership, if it's not totally locally owned."

The Newcastle Knights were effectively community-owned for the first 23 years of their existence, before Nathan Tinkler's 2011 takeover.

The Knights won two premierships during that era but also faced a constant battle to keep their financial liabilities under control.

After Tinkler's demise in 2014, a high-profile group launched the "Our Knights One Chance" campaign, aiming to sell 40,000 shares at $500 apiece, to raise a proposed $20 million nest egg.

Support was lukewarm, in part because the NRL's obvious preference was for the Wests Group to take over.

Appointing a permanent coach is the priority for the Jets' new ownership group.

Meetings were held in Sydney yesterday to discuss who would be responsible for choosing a coach.

It is understood a panel will be appointed who are able to make a decision independent of the owners, to avoid any suggestions of conflict of interest.

It is expected that Lawrie McKinna, who was CEO of the Lee-owned Jets, and football manager Joel Griffiths will have input into the appointment.

Interviews could start as early as next week.

Craig Deans, who has been Newcastle's caretaker coach since the controversial departure of Carl Robinson to Western Sydney Wanderers in October, will be one candidate on the short list.

Young Socceroos coach Gary van Egmond is also understood to have expressed interest in returning to the Jets for what would be his third stint in the hot seat.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    The Dill takes Furns interview and makes a story out of it with no credit to its origin. Lazy.
    Poor form but not surprising for Dillon who wants GVE back for another stint but maybe Shane spoke to the herald as well

Really disappointed today after Mr Mattiske's comments to find I am being offered really shit seats in place of my premium Western grandstand Bay 55 seats - getting offered Bay 2 Eastern grandstand, before that was being offered Bay 64 - ticket fail yet again, should I just ask for the money back for my two Gold member season passes seeing as it is unlikely I will neither get to use the seats nor be offered acceptable seating in their places???
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    Really disappointed today after Mr Mattiske's comments to find I am being offered really shit seats in place of my premium Western grandstand Bay 55 seats - getting offered Bay 2 Eastern grandstand, before that was being offered Bay 64 - ticket fail yet again, should I just ask for the money back for my two Gold member season passes seeing as it is unlikely I will neither get to use the seats nor be offered acceptable seating in their places???
    We in the same boat. I was guttered not to be sitting in my usual spot behind the opposition bench last game.

Calm down, Jetmaster. The quotes in the article are different to what Shane said in the podcast. FFS, the article even explicity spells out that Shane "told the Newcastle Herald" — i.e. the paper interviewed him directly.

I think you owe Bob Dillon an apology.

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    Yeah, shouldn't have bought season gold tickets. I should have known the blinding incompetence from the Jets and Ticketmaster wouldn't change. Talk is cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Nice job with the interview Furns. Cheers for doing!

This was the first i learnt that there was a fourth (silent) member to "The Entity". Has to be another A-league club, yes? Why silent. Maybe they have their reasons. Can't sleep at night thinking it could be the marinators. Surely not. Anyway, time will tell.

He did say their ownership could be longer than perhaps what i first thought. Gee this Covid is doing no favours for the league.....
    He didn't give too much away in regards to where they would make the club more viable, but he did say he wanted stronger membership and inflow of revenue from that path. He did mention the Rabbitoh membership model as something special which he said focused less on ticketing and more on the experience (my words). Had a looksee at the Rabbitoh membership site and couldn't see the standout difference apart from trying to target people outside of their region.

It did say in their FAQ, but I couldn't see where you could become a "Member Co. Membership"
    "Member Co. Membership gives our Rabbitohs Member the right to vote at the annual AGM if an election is required for the Member Co. board."

Anyway, dunno and time will tell. Thanks again.

Great job, finally got around to listening to it.

I had a sneaky wonder if it was Charlesworth, and he doesn’t want anybody to know that he’s supporting the better prospect up the road instead of funding his own. Especially if he’s looking to offload Mariners.

I didn’t really understand the whole “it’s really positive that all the players moved across to the new entity”. But then basically said that nothing changes contractually on their end. Eg, there was no possibility for players to say, hang on, I’m gonna go to wankerers. Bit of a false statement there imo.

Shifted blame for tickets. Not really affected but know how frustrating it would be for those that pay good money for good seats. Then old mate pays $10 and gets to sit where you should be.

Overall I thought he spoke pretty well and sensibly. Heard all the talks before though. I was interested when he mentioned the power of being part of this and being able to brainstorm off of other owners as to how they do things and then do the best approach. I liked that. Makes sense. It’s not like Newcastle are gonna steal many fans from Perth.

Will have to wait and see I guess

Any chance of a second interview Furns?

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    Any chance of a second interview Furns?
    Probably not now they are doing their own AMA's on the Jets socials
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast