Thread: A League Game Week Four

A League Game Week Four

"I'm back, big as life and twice as ugly." Good luck to those trying to guess what movie that is from.

A perfect round of tipping, yes there was a postponed game and yes it was only two games, but you can only play what is in front of you right? I am currently tipping at 50% after ten games and have managed to pull off a couple of correct scores in the process as well. It should be noted that most of the games this year have been of a very decent standard and quite entertaining. Let us see what game week four has got in store and try and keep up the solid form.

Sydney FC v Western Sydney Wanderers (5pm AEDT, 16/1)

The first (men’s) Sydney derby of this season. Both teams coming into this fixture off wins and will be looking to get one over their cross-town rivals. Respect to the champions for beating a solid Wellington Phoenix side in their first game, I think they will be too good again with the only question mark being on their form, Sydney have only played a single game compared to the Wanderers two. The Wanderers should make a good account of themselves playing well against Macarthur and Newcastle, but Sydney do not make silly mistakes like the Jets do and Western Sydney will find it much more difficult to break them down.

Sydney FC to be ‘two’ good, 2-0 win.

Melbourne City v Western United (7pm AEDT, 16/1)

The two best Melbourne teams (yes I said it, at me @LCthreeone), face each other for the first time this season after lacklustre starts to their campaigns. Western United were flat in attack against Adelaide in their only game so far, with key players underperforming in the front third they will require more than Diamanti’s brilliance if they are to get a result out of this game. Melbourne City need to pull their heads in, two red cards in two games, one of which cost them a result against Adelaide. If City can be on their best behaviour this game should be an excellent contest for the entire 90 minutes.

There will be little to split these teams, so I am tipping a 1-1 draw.

Newcastle Jets v Macarthur FC (4pm 17/1)

Both teams are the reason that the Central Coast Mariners are on top of the table, Macarthur started the season red hot but have seeming stalled and were lucky to pick up a point against Wellington/Wollongong due to a controversial red card. Newcastle were brave in defeat in both their games so far this season but just lacking finish and defensive discipline, the decision making at key moments has been questionable. It could be argued that every goal they have conceded so far this season have been due to defensive errors, not due to opposition brilliance. The questions around this game are which Macarthur team will show up? And if Newcastle can stay switched on for the whole game, can they put away their chances in front of goal?

I have got Macarthur bouncing back from two disappointing games to win, 2-1.

Central Coast Mariners v Western Sydney Wanderers (7pm 19/1)

Top of the table Mariners, it hurts just to type. Credit where it is deserved though, Stajcic has made them a hard team to score against and they are effective on the counter. Western Sydney will be on the short turn around and their attacking prowess will be questioned by a resolute defense. It will be interesting to see how the Wanderers handle the short turn around. Based on what I have seen so far from them this season they will be in the contest, there are however admittedly a few variables with the game with Sydney just a few days before, the Wanderers could potentially pick up a suspension or an injury. With all that in mind, I initially had a draw for this game, but you cannot fault the form that Mariners are in, I cannot argue against them sneaking another counterattack goal and stealing another three points.

1-0 win to the Mariners.

Newcastle Jets v Brisbane Roar (7pm 19/1)

Brisbane will be coming into this game after two weekends without a game and will be right up for this match. The questions that arise with the Roar are: How will they handle the extra time off? And what does comfortably defeating Melbourne Victory mean in terms of overall form in the league? Brisbane’s squad should only improve as the season goes on and they will be eager to put on a show. Joey Champness will be unavailable as he is not allowed to play against the club he is loaned from. Newcastle will be backing up from the short turnaround, with their squad already being tested for depth, it is going to take a big performance to get anything out of this one.

2-1 win to Brisbane.

Perth Glory v Adelaide United (9:15pm 19/1)

There is a team from Perth in this competition? It has only taken an extra couple of weeks, but they finally play their first game of the season. Perth is an interesting one, they have lost a lot of their depth in their squad and lost their coach from last season as well. They do still have Bruno Fornaroli and Diego Castro; however, they are another year older, slower, and more susceptible to injury. Glory still have the players to score goals but they will be tested in all the other areas on the field, we will need to watch to see what to make of them going into the rest of the season. Adelaide will be very hard to beat in this one, they are second and are yet to concede this season. The Reds will push Glory all game and should be a joy to watch, with the right blend of A-league experience and youth, Adelaide will push to take the three points in most games this season.

Adelaide to win 2-1.

Phew, that is a lot of football!
    One day I'll tip the Jets, we still have to play the Vuck and Perth yet and they could be quite average. An argument could even be made for points against City and Western at this point but we will see going forward wont we.
    What do you fellow jetties think is going to happen in this massive gameweek?
    Last edited by Clarkey; 14-01-2021 at 10:24 PM.

Why are they playing at stadium Australia? Would have thought jubilee would have been way better.

Can someone ban Clarkey, same reason as Memba
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Was just about to say vujica looks like he has improved a fair bit. Doesn’t look out of place in this western United team.
    And then he scores.

Why did Memba get banned? I can stop posting if it is actually a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
    Don't sweat it, your posts aren't a problem. The member repeatedly violated the forum rules so got banned.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    Don't sweat it, your posts aren't a problem. The member repeatedly violated the forum rules so got banned.
    +1. Don't stop what you're doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Cheers guys, I'm just throwing some words together and see what happens.
    It's been a pretty good season for it so far, most games have been quite entertaining.
    I'll keep smashing these out if people keep engaging with them.

I think the Stadium Australia choice was to do with trying to get as many people into a reduced capacity crowd.
    I've always had a soft spot for Ivan and it's awesome to see him get game time and nab a goal.

I'd be happy with either GVE or Stajcic as coach.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    To be fail saying even remotely positive things about the gypos is far worse than anything Member ever did.
    But I guess we've let that gypo pv4 get away with it so long the precedent has been set.

Does clarkey have a podcast I can go on?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Plague View Post
    To be fail saying even remotely positive things about the gypos is far worse than anything Member ever did.
    But I guess we've let that gypo pv4 get away with it so long the precedent has been set.

HA! I'm happy I was wrong about the gypos but that means that Carl's snakes are top of the table...

I know where the newcastlefootball.net bread gets buttered, listen to The Jetstream where ever you get your pods.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Plague View Post

If you go on the Jetstream I'll make a comeback for that episode alone
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I'm in
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Geez mate President Kamala has only just made masks compulsory and now you want me to take mine off?

But yeah sure im in, just make sure you have a dump button.

Only takin the pis Clarkey, Memba got banned for idiocy, so make sure you don't sound too much like a Fox commentator
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Quote Originally Posted by My2BobsWorth View Post
    Only takin the pis Clarkey, Memba got banned for idiocy, so make sure you don't sound too much like a Fox commentator
    Oh my goodness, oh my goodness.