Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20/21 AL MD5 | Wellington Phoenix v Newcastle Jets | Sun 24/01/21

Duncan played a great game. Kept us in the contest, which is exactly what you want from a keeper. Imo, some of those shots were more dangerous than the goals we have conceded, so it was good to see our keeper pull off some saves, largely contributes to us taking 3 points.

Yuel showed good pace and composure to slot his goal. Textbook finish. Keeper covered the angles really well too.
    Roy contributed more. It was a better game from him. Not a great game yet, but hopefully gets some confidence.

Agree with BP that Naj’s free kicks and corners are 10x more effective. I like that he keeps the ball in play and clears the first defender. Almost like he’s heard that tactic in under 10s and taken it with him.

A few players did a lot to redeem themselves. Roy in particular. Awesome save by Duncan. Shaky but better.

Is it just me, or do we seem to be getting over run in midfield? I keep getting the feeling that we are a player short in that area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

But like others say, nice to get the monkey off the back. IT wasn't pretty but we got the result - something we struggled to do.

Duncan played well - will boost his confidence and I hope it continues. Clear PotM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Is it just me, or do we seem to be getting over run in midfield? I keep getting the feeling that we are a player short in that area.
    Yeah I reckon we need that holding number 6 type player. Thurgate and ugarkovic are both box to box number 8 types who cover a lot of ground but quick passing and longer cross field passing can catch even those 2 short of making up the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    Yeah I reckon we need that holding number 6 type player. Thurgate and ugarkovic are both box to box number 8 types who cover a lot of ground but quick passing and longer cross field passing can catch even those 2 short of making up the ground
    Like Kanta only medically cleared to play.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Like Kanta only medically cleared to play.
    What happened to him? I have blocked it from my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    Here's a question I've been pondering. Should we stop playing Uga and start looking for somebody to fill his position? Koutroumbis was originally a DM wasn't he? If we try him and he's no good, then at least we have time to buy a new DM.

You can probably tell I'm pretty much resigned to 1 win every 5 matches this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Yep Ugar and Gus getting dragged around and teams with an extra man in there are just strolling through. But that's largely cause Rami isn't that attacking

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Yep Ugar and Gus getting dragged around and teams with an extra man in there are just strolling through. But that's largely cause Rami isn't that attacking
    Rami isn't defensive*

Well what style of mid is Prso? I have it in my head that he's a box to box type but not really seen that confirmed anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    Well what style of mid is Prso? I have it in my head that he's a box to box type but not really seen that confirmed anywhere
    He will be the Ugarkovic replacement

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    Here's a question I've been pondering. Should we stop playing Uga and start looking for somebody to fill his position? Koutroumbis was originally a DM wasn't he? If we try him and he's no good, then at least we have time to buy a new DM.

You can probably tell I'm pretty much resigned to 1 win every 5 matches this season.
    I'd very much rate this as an idea, also allows for Thurgate to become a sub which i reckon would work better for him at this stage

Great finish from Yuel. Some good Odonovan moments too.
    Keeper obviously exceptional.
    Don't like the Uga/Thurgate combo. It just doesn't work. It doesn't mean either player is bad, but their combined strengths don't help the team.
    Topor and Boogaard very clever at the back in key moments.
    Wellington look awful and their coach is a clown.

Not a fan of the Ugangus either but when you look at how deep our squad goes for half decent quality what other options has there been ?.

We have certain starters that would be lucky to make the 17 anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by 380;244***
    Not a fan of the Ugangus either but when you look at how deep our squad goes for half decent quality what other options has there been ?.

We have certain starters that would be lucky to make the 17 anywhere else.
    Oh for sure i can't argue there. I meant it more as in if the squad gets an update eventually, I'd be fixing that spot first.