Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021/22 Newcastle Jets Men's Squad

Herald article says we have 6 spots to fill. I think we are still at 5 foreigners each and no idea about the rest of the squad limits

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I can add those things, but I'll be honest - I have no idea what the limits are myself. I only know 23 is the A-League squad limit. Can we still have 5 visa players or is it back to 4? I don't know scholarship contract limits.
    a minimum of 18 Players;
    a maximum of 23 Players;
    a minimum of 2 Goalkeepers;
    a minimum of 3 Australian Players aged 23 or under;
    and a maximum of five foreign players.

The following discretionary payments are outside the Salary Cap:

Designated Players – A Club can spend an unlimited amount on two Players (Foreign or Australian) it nominates as Designated Players;
    Guest Player – A Club can spend an unlimited amount on one Guest Player who must satisfy the prescribed marketability criteria. A Guest Player is restricted to a maximum of 14 A-League matches;
    Homegrown Players – A Club can spend an unlimited amount on 4 Australian Players aged 23 or younger that have come through the Club’s youth system;
    Loyalty Players – A Club can spend an unlimited amount across any number of Players that have given 4 or more consecutive seasons of service to the Club. A portion of a Loyalty Player’s contract value is excluded from the Salary Cap based on a progressive scale;
    Scholarship Players – Each Club can contract up to 9 under 23 Australian Players on the national minimum wage. Any payments above the national minimum wage to these Players are included in the Club’s Salary Cap;

Just found this - https://www.a-league.com.au/salary-cap-system

At all times during the Season, a Club’s A-League Player Roster must have:

• a minimum of 18 Players;
    • a maximum of 23 Players;
    • a minimum of 2 Goalkeepers;
    • a minimum of 3 Australian Players aged 23 or under;
    • and a maximum of five foreign players.

Guest Players sit outside the Club’s A-League Player Roster. Players on a Club’s Y-League Player Roster, including Scholarship Players, are also eligible to participate in the A-League.

So the missing part is keeping track of how the club classify contracts when players are signed/re-signed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

a minimum of 18 Players;
    a maximum of 23 Players;
    a minimum of 2 Goalkeepers;
    a minimum of 3 Australian Players aged 23 or under;
    and a maximum of five foreign players.

The following discretionary payments are outside the Salary Cap:

Designated Players – A Club can spend an unlimited amount on two Players (Foreign or Australian) it nominates as Designated Players;
    Guest Player – A Club can spend an unlimited amount on one Guest Player who must satisfy the prescribed marketability criteria. A Guest Player is restricted to a maximum of 14 A-League matches;
    Homegrown Players – A Club can spend an unlimited amount on 4 Australian Players aged 23 or younger that have come through the Club’s youth system;
    Loyalty Players – A Club can spend an unlimited amount across any number of Players that have given 4 or more consecutive seasons of service to the Club. A portion of a Loyalty Player’s contract value is excluded from the Salary Cap based on a progressive scale;
    Scholarship Players – Each Club can contract up to 9 under 23 Australian Players on the national minimum wage. Any payments above the national minimum wage to these Players are included in the Club’s Salary Cap;
    Thanks Grim

Homegrown - That would include Mauragis and Thurgate.
    Scholarship - That would include Goodwin and Archbold.
    Loyalty players - That would include Kanta, Kosta Petratos, Thurgate, Hoffman and potentially Noah James.
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

True for all that but irrelevant if the club doesn't spend outside the cap.

True for all that but irrelevant if the club doesn't spend outside the cap.
    So, as a game, let's now try to work out how Melbourne City managed to spend $5.4 million last season and keep within the cap. I guess they can just throw money at two or three big players as designated.
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 22-07-2021 at 03:12 PM.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    So, as a game, let's now try to work out how Melbourne City managed to spend $5.4 million last season and keep within the cap. I guess they can just throw money at two or three big players as designated.
    They don't really have a history of promoting players from their youth set up so not really any long term players on their list last year to qualify for Loyalty players.
    They do however have a few players U23 that would qualify for the Homegrown unlimited... Atkinson (14 games), Colakovski (21) and Metcalfe (24). That's 3 handy players to pay completely outside the cap.
    They had eight scholarship players.
    They almost certainly used two designated players.

That leaves 15 players to split the $2.1m cap, unlimited funds on the three U23's and two DP's.
    Find it hard to believe they could spend $3.3m on 5 uncapped players though but who knows.

Isn't Lucas from the central coast or Sydney?

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Isn't Lucas from the central coast or Sydney?
    Canberra.

They don't really have a history of promoting players from their youth set up so not really any long term players on their list last year to qualify for Loyalty players.
    They do however have a few players U23 that would qualify for the Homegrown unlimited... Atkinson (14 games), Colakovski (21) and Metcalfe (24). That's 3 handy players to pay completely outside the cap.
    They had eight scholarship players.
    They almost certainly used two designated players.

That leaves 15 players to split the $2.1m cap, unlimited funds on the three U23's and two DP's.
    Find it hard to believe they could spend $3.3m on 5 uncapped players though but who knows.
    The sad part is their total spend is $1.5 million more than the Jets and Mariners combined.

Wot salary cap?
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Hearing a rumour that Ridenton is possible rejoining the jets

Not from any reliable source, but heard it a couple of times

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post

Surely not

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post

I only have this to say about that.

FFS please NO. Bloke completes the most passes for the opposition pretty much every time he steps on a field. Its like going out and playing 10 v 12.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    I only have this to say about that.

FFS please NO. Bloke completes the most passes for the opposition pretty much every time he steps on a field. Its like going out and playing 10 v 12.
    He wasn’t any good in a stinking team so if we are trying to be better how could he even be an option

D’Agostino anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by tomo View Post
    D’Agostino anyone?
    No way, Duke is a free agent, chase him big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    No way, Duke is a free agent, chase him big time.
    Injury prone and moves like a B Double.

Not surprising but Topor is officially released

Best of luck to him. Thanks for all he's done.

Thanks Topor.
    Deserved a proper send off.
    Think he could have done a job for us. Maybe our terms weren’t worth it to him. Or maybe we weren’t interested at all.
    Can see both points. Won’t be arguing if we end up with a few Clean sheets and good defensive record.

Football and sentiment rarely work together. Goodluck to him.