Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021/22 Newcastle Jets Men's Squad

Roy has been released officially, there's really not much to discuss about.

Roy O’Donovan also departs the club after notching up 66 appearances for the Jets across two successful stints, which included the famous Grand Final run of 17/18.

He leaves Newcastle as the second leading goal scorer of all time with 32 goals.
    https://www.newcastlejetsfc.com.au/n...arting-players

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    What's Fornaroli's contract situation at the moment?
    Signed a 2 year extension as I wrote out my reply. So take him off your shopping list, haha.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Signed a 2 year extension as I wrote out my reply. So take him off your shopping list, haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Can anyone post up the article from today's Herald regarding player retention / wish list?
    THE Newcastle Jets are expected to confirm the appointment of Arthur Papas as coach this week, and Ange Postecoglou's former right-hand man at J-League champions Yokohama F Marinos Marinos could bring in up to 10 new faces.

After upsetting Melbourne City 2-1 to avoid the wooden spoon, the Jets will undergo a major rebuild.
    ADVERTISING

Of the 32 players at the club last season, 16 have departed, headed by retired captain Nigel Boogaard and golden-boot winner Roy O'Donovan.

The future at the club of player-of-the-year Nikolai Topor-Stanley and striker Apostolos Stamatelopoulos will be determined by the new coach.

Assistant coach Karl Dodd appears unlikely to stay. It is unclear if support staff Chris Bowling and Bryce Johnson will continue.

The Jets are certain to take up an option on mid-season arrival Jordan O'Doherty, which would give them 16 contracted players, including scholarship holders Archie Goodwin and Blake Archbold.

James Donachie and Joey Champness are on the books but have been on loan to Brisbane and Goa. Champness has expressed a desire to stay in his home town, while Donachie has received interest from three clubs.

The Newcastle Herald also understands that the Jets have signed at least two players yet to be announced.

Jets football operations manager Joel Griffiths was cautious when asked about the impending arrival of Papas but confirmed that a potential new coach had been consulted regarding the building of the roster.

"He has to be," he said.

The Jets' recruitment will focus on both ends of the pitch.

They scored just 24 goals, five coming in the final three games, to have the lamest attack in the league. Western United, with 30, were second worst.

O'Donovan, with seven, contributed almost a third of the Jets' haul and Griffiths said it was a "tough one" to move on the 35-year-old, who in January was granted Australian citizenship.

"It was a tough one because he has been so good for the club," Griffiths said. "He is a good person to have at the club both on and off the park. I have a lot of respect for Roy. Things like this happen in football clubs.

"We need to change and he is not in the plans of the potential new coach.

"We are going hard for players. We want to recruit good players, whether they are young or old.

"We need players who will bring something to the team. There are good players in Europe, Asia and South America. We just have to do our due diligence and make sure they are the right fit for the club."

Boogaard's retirement, the exit by Lachlan Jackson to Korean club Suwon and uncertainty over Nikolai Topor-Stanley has left the Jets slim in defence, an area where they have boasted depth in the past.

"The potential coach is keeping his options open," Griffiths said. "He wants to see what else is out there and will make a decision in the not too distant future. We have a lot of work to fix the roster."

The last major overhaul of the Jets' roster was in 2017-18 when Ernie Merrick was appointed coach and took the club to the grand final in his first season.

Thanks AJ
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

James Donachie and Joey Champness are on the books but have been on loan to Brisbane and Goa. Champness has expressed a desire to stay in his home town, while Donachie has received interest from three clubs.
    This quote comes of little surprise to me and I hope we play hard ball on both players.

If he wants to stay with the Roar, and they want him - fine. Lets talk about who you're giving us as a replacement.

If Donachie is going, lets get a transfer fee for him.

Centre back has gone from the position of greatest depth to most glaring weakness. Should Donachie go, I think NTS will get another year.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

This quote comes of little surprise to me and I hope we play hard ball on both players.

If he wants to stay with the Roar, and they want him - fine. Lets talk about who you're giving us as a replacement.

If Donachie is going, lets get a transfer fee for him.

Centre back has gone from the position of greatest depth to most glaring weakness. Should Donachie go, I think NTS will get another year.
    Champness for DWH, Nothing less otherwise Champness can spend a year not playing and rapping
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Champness for DWH, Nothing less otherwise Champness can spend a year not playing and rapping
    So childish.

If this is how you want to attract player to the club, I'm very happy the club don't ask fans to be kept in the loop about decisions.

What we should be saying is... Let's try and convince Champness to play for us by offering a better platform than Roar and if not, and the Roar seem keen on him, let's get the best deal possible out of a losing situation and learn a lesson so we don't do it again. (Something that we seem to be working towards since Nabbout basically told the club they weren't a viable option for players right now, to their face.)

If a player doesn't want to play for you, there is every chance that the club is the problem. So, become a club that everyone wants to come play for and then have your choice of potential players in a few years time.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

So childish.

If this is how you want to attract player to the club, I'm very happy the club don't ask fans to be kept in the loop about decisions.

What we should be saying is... Let's try and convince Champness to play for us by offering a better platform than Roar and if not, and the Roar seem keen on him, let's get the best deal possible out of a losing situation and learn a lesson so we don't do it again. (Something that we seem to be working towards since Nabbout basically told the club they weren't a viable option for players right now, to their face.)

If a player doesn't want to play for you, there is every chance that the club is the problem. So, become a club that everyone wants to come play for and then have your choice of potential players in a few years time.
    We've been mugged off too often and dont play hard ball enough, It needs to change
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

We've been mugged off too often and dont play hard ball enough, It needs to change
    Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    Absolutely
    This

Hardball?
    With no leverage?
    Sure thing.

Best Jets can hope for in return for Champness is to poach an up and coming talent who's looking to crack a starting spot on a team looking to avoid yet another spoon.

Sure sure we have all the aces up our sleeve.
    Id love Champness to want to come back here too but he wants out and this is how it works.

Save face, make him post something nice on social media and pray we don't screw up the next young talent that shows up on our doorstep.

yeah absolutely no way we are gonna get DWH out of this, at best we get Parsons and at worst we get one of their youth or mebrahtu

So childish.

Players have the power. Contracts mean nothing for clubs.
    I think most of us have realised that we can’t afford to keep a player sitting in the stands, not playing. Also the message it sends to prospective buys is that we will be difficult. You don’t wanna go work for a company or organisation that has a history of making life difficult for employees that wish to leave. So I don’t think we really have much we can do.

I think most of us just want to see that the club don’t just bow down to other clubs. “Oh yeh Joey, he’s real good, do you want him? No worries, we’ll even cover 40% of the wages”. I’d like to see us pretend we aren’t gonna let it happen easy, ask for something in return, or at least put a line through the drama and move on and fill his spot.

The fact we ever thought he’d be back to us probably still makes our old Gypo ceo laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    THE Newcastle Jets are expected to confirm the appointment of Arthur Papas as coach this week....
    Alternately, Stajcic apparently is leaving the sCCuM, wouldn't be the first time we made a move on one of their offcasts, also sounds more like us than being ambitious and signing a decent prospect...
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Leaving due to lack of funds.
    He ain’t coming here

Where's the Stajcic news?

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    Where's the Stajcic news?
    All over the internet. I saw it on twitter

Literally read it here and googled “stajic” and came up with all the news about stajcic.
    Meant to be formally announced by club today.

Apparently asked for funds to improve the squad for next year. Wasn’t happy with level of funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Apparently asked for funds to improve the squad for next year. Wasn’t happy with level of funding.
    Sounds familiar