Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021/22 Newcastle Jets Men's Squad

I want to give a summary of the immense contribution Nikolai Topor-Stanley has given to our club:

• His debut for the club was against Beijing Guoan FC, an away fixture in the Asian Champions League
    • Across two stints, he made 202 appearances consisting of 198 starts and 4 substitute appearances. This is the second highest number of appearances in our history and equates to appearing in 35% of the matches in the club's history since 2000.
    • He played a total of 17964 minutes - more than 2000 minutes more than the next closest.
    • He made 189 A-League appearances, 5 in FFA cup and 8 in the Asian Champions League.
    • He scored 9 goals (8 in A-League and 1 in FFA Cup) and provided 6 assists
    • He captained the team on 37 occasions. This is 6th in the overall standings behind Boogaard, Roberts, Zadkovich, North and Thompson.
    • He was involved in 48 clean sheets during his time with the club
    • He was never sent off during his time with the Jets.
    • The win percentage with NTS in the team was 37%
    • following his return to the club, Nikolai only missed 135 minutes of competitive football. He wasn't available for the Round of 16 clash v Edgeworth in the FFA Cup (90 minutes) and was a halftime substitute against Adelaide (45 minutes) in the Quarter Final of the same competition.
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 27-07-2021 at 07:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Not sure if it was a throw-away line or not in today's Herald article, but it appears Eli Babalj is training with the Jets.

Warland is a among a host of players hoping to kickstart their careers with Newcastle.

Former Socceroos striker Eli Babalj has been training since the start of pre-season.
    Since leaving the Heart in 2012, where he made 35 appearances and scored 11 goals, he has played for 10 clubs with a grand total of 48 appearances and 4 goals
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 29-07-2021 at 08:28 AM.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Will take a look for him when i go past Speers Pt this morning if they are out on the field

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Not sure if it was a throw-away line or not in today's Herald article, but it appears Eli Babalj is training with the Jets.

Since leaving the Heart in 2012, where he made 35 appearances and scored 11 goals, he has played for 10 clubs with a grand total of 48 appearances and 4 goals
    Able to post full article from today and yesterday's herald?

Players like this are what is wrong with the a-league, why recycle a player like this when you can give a chance to a youth player in our system or from the area

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    Able to post full article from today and yesterday's herald?
    Story on Warland

A-League: Perth wonder boy out to kick on with Newcastle Jets
    James Gardiner

RILEY Warland was only 16 when Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri plucked the defender from the under-18s to train with the first team.

"It was around Christmas time and I went up and enjoyed it," Warland said. "Training alongside the likes of [German international] Andre Schrrle ... I did well and got invited back."

Warland spent a year at Fulham before getting homesick and returning to Perth.

Though happy for the opportunity at Craven Cottage, the Jets recruit was quick to point out that what happened in the past means nothing now.

After two seasons at his home-town club where he made five A-League appearances, Warland is desperate to kickstart his career and believes Newcastle is the ideal environment.

"Going away to the UK, it was a great opportunity to see where I was at in my own age group," he said. "This is where I am focused now.

"I got a call from the boss (Jets coach Arthur Papas) asking what I wanted to do. I was in a bit of a pickle back at home. All I wanted to do is play football and he said I can give you the chance to play.

"He was really good to talk to and it was quite an easy choice to come here."

Warland,19, is part of a new rearguard at the Jets after the departure of senior duo Nigel Boogaard (retired) and Nikolai Topor-Stanley (released) and long-term back-up Lachy Jackson, who is now starting for Suwon in the K-League.

He is joined by fringe Socceroo Matt Jurman and Adelaide regular Jordan Elsey. Jurman started training on Tuesday and Elsey is due to arrive next week.

"I had a little taste of it (the A-League) and am hungry for more," Warland said. "The boss has done really well in recruiting who we needed to. There are great players around me like Matt Jurman. The amount of games that he has played and where he has played in the world, he has a lot of experience.

"When you step over the white line onto the pitch, I think everybody is equal. I will give 100 per cent every day and give them no reason to not pick me.

"I am quite a young player but I do aspire to help everyone around me. A lot of communication being a defender, being strong on the ball and being a good leader on the pitch."

Warland has been accompanied to Newcastle by his girlfriend and they have settled in Hamilton.

"Newcastle is a great place to be," he said. "It is very similar to Perth in a lot of ways. I have found settling here very easy. Everyone has been really welcoming."

While ripping in to pre-season training, Warland has been keeping a close eye on the Olyroos' progress in Tokyo and admitted that Paris 2024 was goal.

"It does motivate me seeing former teammates and boys who I played against in the season just gone, doing well," he said. "It definitely gives me motivation. It is something I aspire to do later in my career."

Warland is a among a host of players hoping to kickstart their careers with Newcastle.

Former Socceroos striker Eli Babalj has been training since the start of pre-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    Players like this are what is wrong with the a-league, why recycle a player like this when you can give a chance to a youth player in our system or from the area
    Couldn't agree more.

Had a look while driving past and the only person on the field was the bloke on the ride on mower and he definitely looked like he was not getting a start anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    It says he's training with us - not trialling. He could just be using us as a means to gain some fitness and earn a contract somewhere else!

But, it could also be a trial.
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 29-07-2021 at 10:50 AM.

The noise on the 3 overseas signings has gone a little quiet. Or has my expectations on the club delivering said signings just increased by this preseason and the way the club pushing itself online

Probs once we identified a few prospects our billpayers will snap them up for there real clubs.

Gotta make sure Carl doesn't want any of them first.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    The noise on the 3 overseas signings has gone a little quiet. Or has my expectations on the club delivering said signings just increased by this preseason and the way the club pushing itself online
    Update that was in Tuesday's Herald article (https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...ure/?cs=6160):

Former Western Sydney Wanderers Kosta Grozos is on a training contract with the Jets and talks are advanced with two foreigners.

Stamatelopoulos going to Greek 2nd division with Rodos

Quote Originally Posted by tomo View Post
    Stamatelopoulos going to Greek 2nd division with Rodos
    See ya

Devlin supposedly off to Hearts FC.

We get a fee and Nix get a fee as well.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Devlin supposedly off to Hearts FC.

We get a fee and Nix get a fee as well.
    Here we go

At least he didn't go to the wankerers

You guys realise we basically got free money right? This is good business!

Herald today

The Jets have signed two foreigners, believed to be attackers, but are awaiting visas to be issued before announcing the signatures.

Can't wait for Ridenton to be anounced.

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    Here we go
    Where is the problem?
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS