Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021/22 Newcastle Jets Men's Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    The day they get rid of the salary cap in this league will be great. Don't why there is such an obsession in this country with having salary capped leagues. It clearly hasnt worked in A-League nor is it doing the same in Rugby League.
    How many aleague clubs have the financial means to support no salary cap. They won't be able to compete with the big clubs and won't have a minimum cap so may spend even less. Raise the cap but don't destroy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Hopefully our new overlords have some level of scouting, an improvement on our previous level which was zero, and we can find some players that haven't just sent us their highlights packages like Abi and Krasniqi.
    If it is Pappas he’s worked in the different tiers in Japan so he should know

Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    If it is Pappas he’s worked in the different tiers in Japan so he should know
    Just hope they announce something soon in regards to Papas, if next season starts in October,time is limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    Just hope they announce something soon in regards to Papas, if next season starts in October,time is limited.
    They did say "next week" that they would announce the new head coach, so that's something!

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    How many aleague clubs have the financial means to support no salary cap. They won't be able to compete with the big clubs and won't have a minimum cap so may spend even less. Raise the cap but don't destroy it.

Shit rolls downhill Stanny.
    If City and Sydney start spending big on players, it means we will have more talented players available to sign. Only the top 1% of this league can make it over in Europe/Asia, so they have to settle for a deal here. If City go and sign some expensive winger, Nabbout falls down the pecking order, Sydney go and sign an expensive CM, Brattain drops down, etc..

And, so long as we allow transfer fees, the smaller clubs will make profits selling their Ugarkovic and DWH players who want to move on.

The same teams will win, but they already do, so at least this way the league improves. At least then we can slowly improve the product itself and attract better owners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    How many aleague clubs have the financial means to support no salary cap. They won't be able to compete with the big clubs and won't have a minimum cap so may spend even less.
    Then relegate them.
    God some of you people love hanging out with the poors dont you.
    Such a gypo attitude that ceo left stinking around this club.
    Shameful.

Yep get rid of the cap, As long squad numbers remain as they are there will be some filtering down of better players as others have mentioned.

Also as has been demonstrated in the past when a player from an opposing club with a significant reputation comes to town it also adds a few bums to seats adding to the income of lesser club owners from game day ticket sales.

The league has stalled and trying different things to invigorate it is a must. This should be one of the first measures the PLA should be looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Shit rolls downhill Stanny.
    If City and Sydney start spending big on players, it means we will have more talented players available to sign. Only the top 1% of this league can make it over in Europe/Asia, so they have to settle for a deal here. If City go and sign some expensive winger, Nabbout falls down the pecking order, Sydney go and sign an expensive CM, Brattain drops down, etc..

And, so long as we allow transfer fees, the smaller clubs will make profits selling their Ugarkovic and DWH players who want to move on.

The same teams will win, but they already do, so at least this way the league improves. At least then we can slowly improve the product itself and attract better owners.
    Frodo has hit the nail on the head. Well said

What is the obsession with equalisation in sports here? The Salary Cap doesnt work because people will always a way to exploit it ffs
    Jaliens gives me the horn

What is the obsession with equalisation in sports here? The Salary Cap doesnt work because people will always a way to exploit it ffs
    Like the Wanderers did this season, Clearly those charged with policing the cap have never heard of Blacktown or where it is.

Reading this if he wants to take a pay cut why wouldn’t we keep him

ROBERT DILLON
    Football
    VETERAN striker Roy O'Donovan plans to continue scoring A-League goals for at least another season and is shattered he won't be able to do so for the Newcastle Jets.

O'Donovan learned two weeks ago that the Jets would not be retaining him, leaving the 35-year-old Irishman searching for the 15th club of his professional career.

The news came as a shock, because O'Donovan was of the understanding he featured in the club's plans for next season. That apparently changed when Craig Deans announced he was standing down as Newcastle's head coach.

Arthur Pappas is expected to be unveiled as Deans's replacement next week, and he is understood to favour a younger, more mobile squad, after the Jets finished second last on the ladder in 2020-21.

O'Donovan said the "script has been torn up" but he had no intention of hanging up the boots.

"I'm not thinking I'll still be knocking around at 40, but I believe I've still got some good football in me and that I can still score goals," O'Donovan told the Newcastle Herald.

"My body is in good shape and I was still one of the quickest in the club. I didn't miss a training session all season and I was available for every game.

"I think I've still got something to offer. Unfortunately that won't be for Newcastle so I'll have to look for new pastures."

O'Donovan felt his experience and leadership could have been an asset, even if Newcastle go with a youth policy.

"When a club goes through a difficult patch, it's not really fair if the presure falls on young players," he said.

"That's not going to help their progression or help them grow as players.

"That's where senior players, who've been through tough situations and know how to get back on the right path, are so important to a club."

O'Donovan said he would have been willing to accept a pay cut to stay in Newcastle, as well as fitting into the new coach's plans, rather than expecting to start up front in every game.

"Of course," he said. "That's the reality of it. I'm coming up for 36, and at that age you're not going to expect the same sort of marquee rate. I understand that, but that wasn't a conversation that was ever had."

The former Sunderland Premier League star described football as a "ruthless profession" but said he had overcome many setbacks since leaving Cork City as a 16-year-old to ply his trade in England.

"I think the club have made the wrong decision, and I told them that," he said.

"It's disappointing, but as I've done throughout my career, in difficult times I've shown my character. I wouldn't say I have a point to prove, because I know that I'm a good player and a goalscorer. Hopefully some other team will recognise that."

His preference is to stay in the A-League for at least another season, and he and his family, who are now Australian citizens, hope to eventually settle in their adopted country.

"I'm not afraid of retirement," he said.

"But after the season we had, that's not the way I want to finish. There are still things I want to achieve."

O'Donovan scored 31 goals in 71 games for Newcastle, including a team-high seven in 25 games this season, and thanked fans for their support over the past four seasons.

"The relationship I've had with the supporters here, from the outset, is something I'll hold very close to my heart," he said.

He has also scored a further 25 goals for Central Coast and Brisbane Roar. Only 10 players in A-League history have found the net more often.

Newcastle's football-operations manager, Joel Griffiths, said last week that releasing O'Donovan was "a tough one" because he was held in high regard.

"Things like this happen in football clubs," Griffiths said. "We need to change and he is not in the plans of the potential new coach."

Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    Reading this if he wants to take a pay cut why wouldn’t we keep him

ROBERT DILLON
    Football
    VETERAN striker Roy O'Donovan plans to continue scoring A-League goals for at least another season and is shattered he won't be able to do so for the Newcastle Jets.

O'Donovan learned two weeks ago that the Jets would not be retaining him, leaving the 35-year-old Irishman searching for the 15th club of his professional career.

The news came as a shock, because O'Donovan was of the understanding he featured in the club's plans for next season. That apparently changed when Craig Deans announced he was standing down as Newcastle's head coach.

Arthur Pappas is expected to be unveiled as Deans's replacement next week, and he is understood to favour a younger, more mobile squad, after the Jets finished second last on the ladder in 2020-21.

O'Donovan said the "script has been torn up" but he had no intention of hanging up the boots.

"I'm not thinking I'll still be knocking around at 40, but I believe I've still got some good football in me and that I can still score goals," O'Donovan told the Newcastle Herald.

"My body is in good shape and I was still one of the quickest in the club. I didn't miss a training session all season and I was available for every game.

"I think I've still got something to offer. Unfortunately that won't be for Newcastle so I'll have to look for new pastures."

O'Donovan felt his experience and leadership could have been an asset, even if Newcastle go with a youth policy.

"When a club goes through a difficult patch, it's not really fair if the presure falls on young players," he said.

"That's not going to help their progression or help them grow as players.

"That's where senior players, who've been through tough situations and know how to get back on the right path, are so important to a club."

O'Donovan said he would have been willing to accept a pay cut to stay in Newcastle, as well as fitting into the new coach's plans, rather than expecting to start up front in every game.

"Of course," he said. "That's the reality of it. I'm coming up for 36, and at that age you're not going to expect the same sort of marquee rate. I understand that, but that wasn't a conversation that was ever had."

The former Sunderland Premier League star described football as a "ruthless profession" but said he had overcome many setbacks since leaving Cork City as a 16-year-old to ply his trade in England.

"I think the club have made the wrong decision, and I told them that," he said.

"It's disappointing, but as I've done throughout my career, in difficult times I've shown my character. I wouldn't say I have a point to prove, because I know that I'm a good player and a goalscorer. Hopefully some other team will recognise that."

His preference is to stay in the A-League for at least another season, and he and his family, who are now Australian citizens, hope to eventually settle in their adopted country.

"I'm not afraid of retirement," he said.

"But after the season we had, that's not the way I want to finish. There are still things I want to achieve."

O'Donovan scored 31 goals in 71 games for Newcastle, including a team-high seven in 25 games this season, and thanked fans for their support over the past four seasons.

"The relationship I've had with the supporters here, from the outset, is something I'll hold very close to my heart," he said.

He has also scored a further 25 goals for Central Coast and Brisbane Roar. Only 10 players in A-League history have found the net more often.

Newcastle's football-operations manager, Joel Griffiths, said last week that releasing O'Donovan was "a tough one" because he was held in high regard.

"Things like this happen in football clubs," Griffiths said. "We need to change and he is not in the plans of the potential new coach."
    Im not too fussed to be honest. I think the game has definitely moved past him. He obviously doesnt fit into Papas's plans or how he wants to play so good luck to him

I do have one major gripe though

Sunderland Premier League star gee whiz
    Jaliens gives me the horn

Im not too fussed to be honest. I think the game has definitely moved past him. He obviously doesnt fit into Papas's plans or how he wants to play so good luck to him

I do have one major gripe though

Sunderland Premier League star gee whiz
    I agree, if was a star why wasn't he there a whole lot longer ?

The issue the club will have is the scrutiny over the squad from supporters in the lead up to next season.

It is reasonable for people to expect those let go are going to be replaced with " better " options. Roy, Champers and hearing today Donachie back to Victory.

On paper the new signings need to appear a step up or supporters will could rightfully think we are in for another season with a poverty pack squad, That will not be a easy sell to potential sponsors and retaining existing members and then on top of that winning back some of those 5k gone walkabout from the season before last. These two key areas are critical even before a ball is kicked in anger so it all will come down to how the squad is shaping up.

I would be interested in knowing if the club put out the feelers for Calvar in light of uncertainty over Donachie and Boogs retirement ?.
    Last edited by 380; 25-06-2021 at 03:02 PM.

I dont care if I know any of these assholes names or who they played for.
    I want the new coach to get the type of players he wants and get them to play his football.
    If they do and we start showing something the fans will be back.
    Signing names and reputations has done **** all for us recently. Last thing I want is some dude who played for some team to turn up and be shite.
    Give me all the 3rd tier Asians and bring them here to kick everyone's ass over some Del Piero type bullshit just to pander to some asshole journos and FOOTBALL PEOPLE.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Plague View Post
    I want the new coach to get the type of players he wants and get them to play his football.
    Signing names and reputations has done **** all for us recently. Last thing I want is some dude who played for some team to turn up and be shite.
    Give me all the 3rd tier Asians and bring them here to kick everyone's ass over some Del Piero type bullshit just to pander to some asshole journos and FOOTBALL PEOPLE.
    Spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    Spot on
    Couldn't be further from spot on
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Plague View Post
    It is spot on for rusted ons like you and i for sure, We will show regardless of how the squad is shaping. The bigger picture is a requirement for increased corporate interest and greater sponsorship prospects notwithstanding a sharp upturn in membership before the season kicks off.

This club is in the process of trying to be flipped so optics play a major part of the selling process and anything less than whats perceived to be a more competitive squad than the season just gone from the outset we will not see those critical areas dealt with.
    Last edited by 380; 25-06-2021 at 07:07 PM.

We've been talking about this for years, we need a fresh coach and a clean slate. Looks like we get to finally see what can happen, albeit with absolutely no extra funds available, when an up and coming manager gets to build his team. Considering how well new franchises have done in their first season with a freshly built side, hopefully we can do the same thing.

There's also lots of players available right now, even some ex-socceroos who can't demand huge wages, so there's actually a chance we don't suck next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by My2BobsWorth View Post
    Couldn't be further from spot on
    spot on in my opinion, obviously not in yours but tell someone who gives a shite