Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Thread: 2021/22 Newcastle Jets Men's Squad

Banned
    You do realise that is how a lot of it works in this country??

The Manager of the Club tends to get a pile of players signed and lo and behold they all have the same agent

Also if you look lowered down you will note it lists that this company also represent Arthur Pappas so is it really a surprise that we have these players

Just be thankful we don't sign Gypo Matt Simon from that Agent

Looks like we’re getting Sotirio and McGarry from Wellington

Don’t hate both signings, would say Sotirio means we aren’t keeping Yuel which I’m okay with, and McGarry would mean Murnane is definitely out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post

Don’t hate both signings, would say Sotirio means we aren’t keeping Yuel which I’m okay with, and McGarry would mean Murnane is definitely out.
    Mcgarry is a midfielder is he not?> and would rather lose Ingham over Murnane
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Banned

Sotirio??

That guy is a 1 in 15 player

Plays 2 games a year where he looks like a World Beater then plays like he is an uncoordinated **** that will miss sitters all day long for the other 20 odd games

Why not sign Yuel if you want that ??

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Mcgarry is a midfielder is he not?> and would rather lose Ingham over Murnane
    I was of the belief he was a fullback, can play in the mid and such but that his preferred was left back.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Sotirio??

Plays 2 games a year where he looks like a World Beater then plays like he is an uncoordinated **** that will miss sitters all day long for the other 20 odd games

I half agree with this, I think from a goal scoring/assists perspective they are both fairly equal, but I thought this season Sotirio generally played better football in between his good moments and has a few more tricks up his sleeve then Yuel.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Sotirio??

That sums up way too many players in the A League and then you get commentators every week declaring just about every Australian born player as future national team material.
    No wonder the game and our national team are in the state they are.

Sotirio is not and never has been an A League level player. Yuel is almost useless himself but is way ahead of him. Yuel is improving from a below average player to average this season and you can see the potential to be a half decent backup. Sotirio has simply never looked like a starter in his entire A League career and has no ability to do anything but chase long balls, he isn't even good enough for a bench spot and has shown nothing to say he could be improved into even a squad player. Sign him and I'll put good money on us getting another spoon.

FMD, one step forward and 45 steps back it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Sotirio is not and never has been an A League level player. Yuel is almost useless himself but is way ahead of him. Yuel is improving from a below average player to average this season and you can see the potential to be a half decent backup. Sotirio has simply never looked like a starter in his entire A League career and has no ability to do anything but chase long balls, he isn't even good enough for a bench spot and has shown nothing to say he could be improved into even a squad player. Sign him and I'll put good money on us getting another spoon.

FMD, one step forward and 45 steps back it seems.
    This. I am no Yule fan but i will take him over Sotirio any day of the week.
    Last edited by 380; 05-05-2022 at 01:04 PM.

Frodo dropping truth bombs

Banned
    I half agree with this, I think from a goal scoring/assists perspective they are both fairly equal, but I thought this season Sotirio generally played better football in between his good moments and has a few more tricks up his sleeve then Yuel.
    Don't think I am saying we should keep Yuel.

My point is if we are in the market for shit level players like Sotirio we may as well keep Yuel as it 6 of one half a dozen of the other with these two

I think we should be aiming higher and looking to sign players of better talent than both these two to play in a wide attacking role

We can't have everyone on big bucks. Need some squaddies

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    We can't have everyone on big bucks. Need some squaddies
    We got a club full of squaddies now

Beka Penha Thurgate aside the rest of our side would not be wanted at any club in the top 6 if the squad was all put up for sale

The rest of them be lucky to get a contract at NPL level let alone a A League club

Finding shit players we are good at

No signing squaddies

Sign first team players

We need to focus all our attention on a spine, which we sort of did already this year but stuffed up.

GK, CBs, 2 CMs (one offensive and one controlling) and an attacker. That's 5 first team quality players required to build off. Everything else can be managed easier once that core is sorted.

The 2 "proven" CBs we signed unfortunately flopped, hard. Sort that out, get a quality CM to partner Thurgate and we are probably in the finals next season, unless of course we sign Sotirio.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

We need to focus all our attention on a spine, which we sort of did already this year but stuffed up.

GK, CBs, 2 CMs (one offensive and one controlling) and an attacker. That's 5 first team quality players required to build off. Everything else can be managed easier once that core is sorted.

The 2 "proven" CBs we signed unfortunately flopped, hard. Sort that out, get a quality CM to partner Thurgate and we are probably in the finals next season, unless of course we sign Sotirio.
    I've been happy from what I've seen from Weier so far to be honest, and I have been OK with Elsey all season.

Jurman needs replacing ASAP though.

Warland's cameos in the last month have been decent, but I haven't seen enough to warrant a first team place yet.

I think looking at 3 CMs, Wilson/O'Doherty, Thurgate, Penha is pretty solid for me. If we can find an international level 6 (presumably what Arques was supposed to be), and replace Penha if he goes (big ask), I think midfield is OK.

We could do with a starting winger or even two, Boumal showed glimpses and I'd be ok with him going round again, but I'm not fully convinced yet. Siatravanis was decent but nothing special, showed some product in the last month but that's about it. Yuel is a decent X-factor off the bench but not a starter for me. Mauragis not up to starting level yet imo. If he works on his defending he could be a good option for fullback, but too vulnerable there yet. Grozos/Ingham/Hoffman are not wingers.

Fullbacks are an issue for us, especially with the way we play, we need better ball playing fullbacks than we have had. Whether 433 or 352, they see too much ball and have too big a role in modern football to just have engines.

It's amazing how in any team sport where there is structure involved, the importance of having a good spine. A good spine helps balance out so much of the squad.
    Jaliens gives me the horn

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    It's amazing how in any team sport where there is structure involved, the importance of having a good spine. A good spine helps balance out so much of the squad.
    It’s also easy to forget that Papas had Cam Devlin as his 6 signed and he loses him before the season starts. That’s a big hole to fill

I wonder if Penha is the only player from our current contingent of imports off to another A League club next season , a contracted one ?.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    I wonder if Penha is the only player from our current contingent of imports off to another A League club next season , a contracted one ?.
    Is his move to another A League club confirmed, or is it still rumour / fatalism?
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

They mentioned tonight that we'd already signed McGarry and Sotirio. Not sure if they meant to say "linked with" or not. Sotirio is the most classic Jets signing you will find, if true.