Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: EURO 2020/21 Sweeps

Didn’t wanna say anything earlier In case it prompted somebody to check scores. Incredible moments throughout that.

For anybody that likes to watch replay or extended highlights. Would recommend watching the Croatia Spain game first as there’s many spoilers in the next game.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    what a brilliant morning of football

insomnia and being kicked all night by cold children is really paying off

Outside of that 10-15 min period, Switzerland honestly completely dominated France. Granit Xhaka carving them up all game was beautiful to watch, even if he's leaving soon, and he deserve his MOTM award.

I said France looked poor from the first game, relying on individual brilliance isn't enough to win tournaments and Deschamps didn't have a decent setup at all. Mbappe having a shocker every game doesn't help either, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Some amazing goals in both games!
    Bloody brilliant to see..

Interesting to see who ends up winning it.
    Spain, Belgium, Italy on one side of the draw looks good for a particular team on the other side that should be able to account for Denmark or Czech.
    Spain seem to be able to score some goals again after a poor start.
    Belgium got the goal but were very much under the pump to Portugal for 45 minutes.
    Italy had their little hiccup needing extra time to account for Austria.
    Everyone seems to have their day.

Czech needed a red card to help them beat the Dutch.
    Sweden/Ukraine both have been plucky but idk if they can take on the bigger teams.
    And the winner of England/Germany put in a solid performance and look the most capable on this side of the draw.

I think all teams left have potential to beat their opponent, and every team has had their moment of weakness in this tournament.
    Makes for some very good games for a neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Interesting to see who ends up winning it.
    Spain, Belgium, Italy on one side of the draw looks good for a particular team on the other side that should be able to account for Denmark or Czech.
    Spain seem to be able to score some goals again after a poor start.
    Belgium got the goal but were very much under the pump to Portugal for 45 minutes.
    Italy had their little hiccup needing extra time to account for Austria.
    Everyone seems to have their day.

Czech needed a red card to help them beat the Dutch.
    Sweden/Ukraine both have been plucky but idk if they can take on the bigger teams.
    And the winner of England/Germany put in a solid performance and look the most capable on this side of the draw.

I think all teams left have potential to beat their opponent, and every team has had their moment of weakness in this tournament.
    Makes for some very good games for a neutral.
    I think the biggest thing working against Belgium is the injuries to De Bruyne and Eden Hazard. Missing someone as influential as De Bruyne could be their undoing.

Watching the Ukraine/Sweden game now, where Ukraine have scored in Extra Time, will have have England licking their lips.

I think Spain are building well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    baldrick: Ukraine
    Get in !

Frodo: Scotland and Czech Republic
    No idea how I've gotten this far either Baldrick

Turns out relying on shitty red cards is a great way to win knockout games. See you soon once Kalvin Phillips gets himself sent off and Morata misses 95 chances + gets himself sent off for a studs up challenge on the post or something.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Ok, so these are the sweeps!!!

Bon: Denmark and Hungary
    Ghost of Plague: North Macedonia and Spain
    Brem: England and Croatia
    Stanny: Italy and Belgium
    baldrick: Ukraine and France
    Jeterpool: Portugal and Slovakia
    Frodo: Scotland and Czech Republic
    Local Rules: Russia and Germany
    lquiquer: Poland and Finland
    Macca: Switzerland and Netherlands
    Buddha: Sweden and Wales
    Jardelsimage: Austria and Turkey

Good luck!
    So the knockout rounds are well into it.

We've got Stanny vs Stanny in the first game, lol.

Macca vs Not Plague up next.

Baldrick taking on Brem after that.

And finally myself taking on Bon to round it off.

Get your shit talking in now gents. Stanny is gonna get crushed by his opponent, no doubt.

Bon, your teams flag is just some shitty white cross on a red back ground. It's so unimaginative I bet they just copied someone else's design and tried to palm it off as their own.

Please dont let England win
    Jaliens gives me the horn

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post

Baldrick taking on Brem after that.

Get your shit talking in now gents.
    Hey Brem; I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries.

I've got faith in my boys to come out on top

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    I've got faith in my boys to come out on top
    Must be a new feeling for you, mate?

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Bon, your teams flag is just some shitty white cross on a red back ground. It's so unimaginative I bet they just copied someone else's design and tried to palm it off as their own.
    Don't be giving Denmark and Switzerland a hard time. They may not have much in terms of football but their flags are big plusses

Quote Originally Posted by Local Rules View Post
    Don't be giving Denmark and Switzerland a hard time. They may not have much in terms of football but their flags are big plusses

Must be a new feeling for you, mate?
    For all of us wouldnt you say? We follow the jerks after all
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

PS anybody who disagrees with the Sweden red this morning is a fool.

Winning the ball does nae matter when it's serious foul play. You cant just follow through like that and obliterate a blokes knee.
    Jaliens gives me the horn

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    PS anybody who disagrees with the Sweden red this morning is a fool.

Winning the ball does nae matter when it's serious foul play. You cant just follow through like that and obliterate a blokes knee.
    I disagree. There was no player there when he swung at the ball, the attacker ran in when he wasn't going to get the ball anyway and they collided. If the attacking player was trying to win the ball he would have been running towards goal and hoping that the CB missed it. The fact that he was running towards the player means that he was attempting to make a tackle himself. He got in the way of the swing, not the defender who only had eyes for the ball, won the ball and before he could react there was an attacker right where his momentum was taking him. Looked completely fine at full speed, it only looked bad in a still image because of the exact point that the contact was made.

If the ref gives a yellow, as most would have, Ukraine wouldn't have complained.

Sticking by the theory that this is a red card, any time an attacker kicks a keeper it's a red card and in extra time when the Ukrainian attacker kneed the Swedish midfielder in the head, who'd dove in to block the ball himself, should have been a red card. His follow through took him into his head. Contact with the head is as dangerous as studs up, therefore no matter that he won the ball it's a red card in your world. It can't be both ways.

I’m with Frodo.
    The still image looks terrible. But it’s the context behind it.
    Swedish player, takes like a step to try to clear the ball, he’s not moving at speed, he makes good contact with the ball and the Ukrainian arrives late to the challenge and runs into the foot of him.
    The Ukrainian rushes in and provides the “speed” element to the “tackle”. The contact point is unfortunate, as is the players injury but I don’t think the Swedish player had any malice and effectively performed a routine clearance with a player running into his follow through.

I mean, if we are okay with sending him off for the contact, then I think that sets a precedence for what other players can milk. We see Pickford go in on VVD in an attempted challenge and gets far less.
    Everytime a keeper comes for the ball in the air and leads with knees, I’d be sprinting in to make some contact and get the keeper sent off.