Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: EURO 2020/21 Sweeps

Congrats on the win, Stanny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Congrats on the win, Stanny!!!
    Being a European champion is just the norm now

Well, apart from Stanny (congrats), I bet there's one little German girl who's laughing now...and all of phucking Scotland!
    Klyden, after inhaling the smoke from a cigarette:- (S02E11)
    "I feel as if I have been standing my entire life, and I just sat down."
    The Orville - returning to SBS. June 3rd, 2022

Pre-game scenes.

Ol' mate in the orange vest - sign him up Gareth!
    Maybe he can take a pen, unlike the 2 he brought on for the express purpose of taking them...

Poor kid will be crucified.

Big ups for stepping forward but the risk of missing was always there.

At least if an experienced head like Henderson missed he would be able to move on.

Baddiel and Skinner will be chuffed that the "Football's Coming Home" gravy train will go at least another tournament.
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 12-07-2021 at 12:03 PM.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Poor kid will be crucified.

Big ups for stepping forward but the risk of missing was always there.

At least if an experienced head like Henderson missed he would be able to move on.

Baddiel and Skinner will be chuffed that the "Football's Coming Home" gravy train will go at least another tournament.
    If you're talking about Sancho, at least it was 'on target'. Rashfird: Donnarumma went the wrong way but these small percentages get ya...
    Saka: I said it to a mate after Mbappe missed v Helvetica. "Why let a youngster take your 5th kick?"

Happy England lost, sad it was left to Saka to try and salvage the game.

Saka's never taken a senior penalty in his career, yet he put his hand up when a bunch of others were too scared too.

Henderson has lost all credibility with me now, he should never wear the captain's armband again. Grealish just showed why he doesn't deserve to start for England or play for a big club. Sterling could have won the player of the tournament if he'd scored and they went on to win. England deserved to lose purely based on the fact that a 20 yr old and a 19 yr old kid had the balls to try and win it when the senior players (Beside Kane, Rashford and Slabhead) didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Happy England lost, sad it was left to Saka to try and salvage the game.

Saka's never taken a senior penalty in his career, yet he put his hand up when a bunch of others were too scared too.

Henderson has lost all credibility with me now, he should never wear the captain's armband again. Grealish just showed why he doesn't deserve to start for England or play for a big club. Sterling could have won the player of the tournament if he'd scored and they went on to win. England deserved to lose purely based on the fact that a 20 yr old and a 19 yr old kid had the balls to try and win it when the senior players (Beside Kane, Rashford and Slabhead) didn't.
    Henderson was taken off. He wasn't on the field. What could he do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

I thought Maguire's pen was ballsie. Going high these days takes a pair.
    I heard they're billing him for the camera

And ditto on Hendo. He wasn't given a chance to redeem himself.
    I bet GS would have loved the opportunity.

Sterling and Grealish are awful penalty takers. Hench why they weren't in the first 5.

It was obvious that the first 5 selected had been hitting them well in the lead up. If Sterling & Grealish do step up and both miss it'll be "why did they take one".

Seems like alot of people here have probably only been involved in maybe 1 shootout in their life. If you have a poor technique it doesn't bode well. Especially when you're up against a mountain like Donnarumma

Of those still on the pitch at the time of the shootout i was only confident in 3 of the England team scoring a penalty. Kane, Maguire, Pickford (has a superb technique and very surprised he didnt step up himself)
    Jaliens gives me the horn

Henderson was taken off. He wasn't on the field. What could he do?
    He was subbed off BECAUSE he didn't want to be involved with penalties. Rashford and Sancho replaced Henderson and Walker, purely for the penalty shootout. That's a weak mentality for a captain, especially when he knew before kick off that there was 2 kids who had put their hands up ahead of him.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    Sterling and Grealish are awful penalty takers. Hench why they weren't in the first 5.

It was obvious that the first 5 selected had been hitting them well in the lead up. If Sterling & Grealish do step up and both miss it'll be "why did they take one".

Seems like alot of people here have probably only been involved in maybe 1 shootout in their life. If you have a poor technique it doesn't bode well. Especially when you're up against a mountain like Donnarumma

Of those still on the pitch at the time of the shootout i was only confident in 3 of the England team scoring a penalty. Kane, Maguire, Pickford (has a superb technique and very surprised he didnt step up himself)
    A poor technique and great mentality is more useful than a great technique and a fearful mentality IMO. I've been involved in many shootouts, and nerves play a much bigger part than any techniques.

My massive gripe with the takers was the order. Kane first makes some sense to ensure you get off to a good start. But, you also need a good anchor. Italy had their best penalty taker at 5, England had him at 1, their 5th had never taken a senior penalty.

By the time Saka stepped up, he'd already witnessed 2 team mates, both older and with tonnes more experience from the spot, miss their attempts. That's a huge mental hurdle to overcome, especially when facing one of the best Keepers in the world.

He was subbed off BECAUSE he didn't want to be involved with penalties. Rashford and Sancho replaced Henderson and Walker, purely for the penalty shootout. That's a weak mentality for a captain, especially when he knew before kick off that there was 2 kids who had put their hands up ahead of him.
    H was subbed off because Southgate believed Sancho & Rashford were better penalty takers. You're really trying to push your narrative here aren't you.

A poor technique and great mentality is more useful than a great technique and a fearful mentality IMO. I've been involved in many shootouts, and nerves play a much bigger part than any techniques.

My massive gripe with the takers was the order. Kane first makes some sense to ensure you get off to a good start. But, you also need a good anchor. Italy had their best penalty taker at 5, England had him at 1, their 5th had never taken a senior penalty.

By the time Saka stepped up, he'd already witnessed 2 team mates, both older and with tonnes more experience from the spot, miss their attempts. That's a huge mental hurdle to overcome, especially when facing one of the best Keepers in the world.
    Massively wrong on all points. 99% of saved/missed penalties are due to a poor technique. Bonucci's, Maquire's & Kane's penalties are prime examples of good technique beating a goalkeeper.

Italy's best penalty taker took their 3rd. Jorginho relies way too much on committing the goalkeeper. Bonucci is an excellent penalty taker but rarely does it for club because Ronaldo takes all their penalties.

Sancho barely takes penalties and only has featured in a shootout once, for England in a Bronze Medal Nations League Playoff which is essentially a mickey mouse cup.

The fact of the matter is England have some awful penalty takers in their mix and Southgate chose what he thought was the best 5. For a nation that always seems to be involved in them, they never seem to do well

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    H was subbed off because Southgate believed Sancho & Rashford were better penalty takers. You're really trying to push your narrative here aren't you.

Game before the Euros Henderson stole the ball from Calvert-Lewin on a penalty, in order to get off his duck, and missed. He was lambasted by the media and his teammates. So, it was well-known that Henderson was worried about penalty shootouts.

Southgate looking at who's scoring them at training doesn't mean squat when it's the final of the Euro's and England have a world's worth of pressure on them. If 1 of the kids is ready to step up and is gun at them, i.e. Sancho, you can understand it. But for it to get to a kid who's never taken one in his entire career, who I can tell you doesn't have a tremendous shot on him and isn't known from within our squad as being decent on penalties. (Unlike Willock and AMN who is known as the most calm taker the senior players have ever seen), Southgate has a problem.

The senior players (other than Kane, Maguire and Rashford) ran and hid when it mattered most. And IMO, a Captain absolutely needs to be there and be willing to at least take one over a kid like Saka. Shaw, Stones, Grealish are all also to blame, but as captain Jordan has a higher expectation.

Rashford sent the keeper, there was nothing wrong with his technique he just missed. Same with blokes who go down the middle. They can have a great technique and if the keeper just stands there its saved.

Kane and McGuire's pens were unstoppable. The rest were a combo of good goal keeping, good luck or just plain not executing in the moment.

I dont think for one second there was one English player who said no to taking a pen. You don't get to that level without thinking you arent capable of anything. The way the 2 kids stepped up to take theirs looked nothing like the type of personality pushing Henderson out of the way to get in front of the queue.

Totally agree with the order too, putting it all on the kid was poor management.

Big tip of the hat to the woke brigade somehow labelling this all racism too, bang up job belittling the issue yet again.

All in all just a great day for content cravers everywhere. Next step in the playbook is the fan behaviour backlash then we knuckle down for a year of utter delusion from the Pommies thinking they are gonna get things right in Qatar.

The world is healing.

England playing defensive cost them not the pens. Should've played Sancho, Grealish from the start and stuck Mount behind Kane who could also Harras Jorginho. Should of also had Reece James on the right if he was gonna play 5 at the back

You forgot chilwell.

England’s midfield was the poorest midfield I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    You forgot chilwell.
    Nah Shaw gets in ahead of Chillwell atm. Had a better season just form wise and has been good in the Euros