Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: EURO 2020/21 Sweeps

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Nah Shaw gets in ahead of Chillwell atm. Had a better season just form wise and has been good in the Euros
    Wooosh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    He was subbed off BECAUSE he didn't want to be involved with penalties. Rashford and Sancho replaced Henderson and Walker, purely for the penalty shootout. That's a weak mentality for a captain, especially when he knew before kick off that there was 2 kids who had put their hands up ahead of him.
    Ok. But its it fact that he made the decision? Or did the manager?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Plague View Post
    Big tip of the hat to the woke brigade somehow labelling this all racism too, bang up job belittling the issue yet again.
    Some of the mainstream have just tried to hijack the event with negativity. 24% more domestic violence if England won, 36% more if they lost. Thousands of drunken hooligans causing trouble and kicking little kids. COVID spreading. Reading about racist comments without seeing them, are they racist or are these guys just copping it for missing? What was actually said?
    Even suggestions the changes were because the original penalty list wasn't diverse enough.

World is mad....not much media love really for Italy as it is all good news.

Ok. But its it fact that he made the decision? Or did the manager?
    The manager and the player obviously speak before the game and decide who wants to take penalties, then the manager chooses his 5. So Southgate may not have chosen him to be in his 5.

But the fact that Henderson wasn't even on the pitch during the penalty shootout, is a sign that he definitely didn't want to take one. If he had wanted to take one, but Southgate didn't rate him as a quality option, he could have named him at 9 or 10 on the list. At least his presence is out there to keep the team focused and calm. I don't think he's a superb footballer, but he is a good leader.

Just to clarify, I don't want people to think I'm shitting on him just cause he's from Liverpool or that I'm blaming him for the loss or anything. I just hold him to a higher standard than say Shaw or Stones because he is meant to be a leader. When it comes to the biggest game of the tournament, when they are a few key moments that will decide the fate of the footballing nation... Would you rather rely on a UCL and EPL title winning captain, who's played at a World Cup, etc, etc, or rely on a 19 yr old who's never taken a competitive penalty in his entire career?

I simply can't get my head around Henderson either not wanting to take one. Or even if I'm wrong, Southgate thinking that he wasn't needed out there with the group during the end.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Some of the mainstream have just tried to hijack the event with negativity. 24% more domestic violence if England won, 36% more if they lost. Thousands of drunken hooligans causing trouble and kicking little kids. COVID spreading. Reading about racist comments without seeing them, are they racist or are these guys just copping it for missing? What was actually said?
    Even suggestions the changes were because the original penalty list wasn't diverse enough.

World is mad....not much media love really for Italy as it is all good news.
    You can see the Instagram comments section of all three full of monkey emojis and the N word. Same with Twitter. Reddit mods had to shut down comments and posts for various subs cause they couldn't delete the racist comments quick enough.
    Last edited by Frodo; 12-07-2021 at 08:48 PM. Reason: That last bit came off a bit whiney, which isn't necessary. Deleted it instead.

Just to be clear my point about the racism is not about the players copping abuse from retards on socials, it was the talking point of Southgate somehow being racist by setting the 3 of them up to fail.

It was some wild shit man.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    The manager and the player obviously speak before the game and decide who wants to take penalties, then the manager chooses his 5. So Southgate may not have chosen him to be in his 5.

But the fact that Henderson wasn't even on the pitch during the penalty shootout, is a sign that he definitely didn't want to take one. If he had wanted to take one, but Southgate didn't rate him as a quality option, he could have named him at 9 or 10 on the list. At least his presence is out there to keep the team focused and calm. I don't think he's a superb footballer, but he is a good leader.

Just to clarify, I don't want people to think I'm shitting on him just cause he's from Liverpool or that I'm blaming him for the loss or anything. I just hold him to a higher standard than say Shaw or Stones because he is meant to be a leader. When it comes to the biggest game of the tournament, when they are a few key moments that will decide the fate of the footballing nation... Would you rather rely on a UCL and EPL title winning captain, who's played at a World Cup, etc, etc, or rely on a 19 yr old who's never taken a competitive penalty in his entire career?

I simply can't get my head around Henderson either not wanting to take one. Or even if I'm wrong, Southgate thinking that he wasn't needed out there with the group during the end.
    Feel like this should’ve been the OP haha.

Imo, I think Henderson’s confidence was shot after his miss and the associated criticism he copped has swayed him and Southgate into thinking he was not a great option. Bloke hasn’t even scored for England in 50 odd games. He has scored one in-game penalty in his EPL career. With all the information, I don’t think he’s a good penalty taker, and some would say it would be very arrogant of him to step up again. Some might say it’s strength to admit, “hey I’m not great at pens, happy to be one of the people Sacrificed for better pen takers”. Rashford and Sancho both scored pens before.

I’ve always thought people that played their part in the tournament should be the ones to lose a shootout. You don’t want your bench strikers all coming on after playing 0 minutes all tournament and missing and losing you the game. If you’re gonna lose, I think you prefer the likes of your Maguire,Phillips, stones, Pickford, Kane, Sterling and Saka to miss as they contributed alot to get England there. But that’s letting sentiment get in the way.

I do get your point about having Henderson there as a calming senior figure. I see that.

I think Sterling and Pickford should have been considered.
    Overall penalties is a lucky dip. Pickford and donnaruma both did exceptionally well. Example in Jorginho, Pickford waiting for him to make his move, Jorginho not seeing keeper commit and hits a weak shot.

I remember reading Mark Schwarzers book and he went into the maths of a pen. Eg the speed of ball, reaction time, how long it takes to dive into the corner etc, basically the take home was if you strike the ball with all your power, the keeper waits til you strike the ball, there’s zero chance of stopping it. I’d be very curious to see the efficacy of pen takers who just smash it in vs the stuttering runs and little dinks or “selling” the keeper.

Anyway, I think England has potential to bury that game early, go after a second goal. I think they would’ve got it tbh. They gave Italy too much ball and watched their confidence build until it was almost inevitable they equalised.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Plague View Post
    Just to be clear my point about the racism is not about the players copping abuse from retards on socials, it was the talking point of Southgate somehow being racist by setting the 3 of them up to fail.

It was some wild shit man.
    Agree - people just "look" for this crap to cause trouble.

As someone said last night, there were 11 Englishmen on the pitch, end of.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Agree - people just "look" for this crap to cause trouble.

As someone said last night, there were 11 Englishmen on the pitch, end of.
    I was thankfully confused when you guys mentioned the racism links to the penalty takers, as I genuinely hadn't seen anything about it. I had a look and yeah, whoever made a link between the colour of their skin and Southgate "setting them up for failure" is obviously mentally unhealthy and needs to sort themselves out.

Anyone see this.

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/s...72529717964807

Idiots trashed his mural first up, then they covered it up quickly with a black tarp. The next day a bunch of local kids wrote lovely messages out to Rashford and stuck them up.

Saka's Instagram was absolutely smashed with racists straight after the miss, but now his socials are being overwhelmingly flooded with positive messages. Even Tottenham ultras tweeted out a message of support and gave up details of racist spewing people. Other clubs have gotten behind all 3, even Barcelona this morning. All good to see.

Can't wait for the day that these oxygen stealing idiots realise they are small and insignificant, plus hopefully soon they are forced to answer for it. See how quickly they change their views when their boss won't let them come into work and most of their friends ostracize them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Imo, I think Henderson’s confidence was shot after his miss and the associated criticism he copped has swayed him and Southgate into thinking he was not a great option. Bloke hasn’t even scored for England in 50 odd games. He has scored one in-game penalty in his EPL career.
    Pedantic but im sure Henderson scored in the knock-out round vs Ukraine.
    Still, 1 goal in 50 odd is just as shit as zero in 50 odd.

Im here for all the Henderson slander. He just seems like an asshole of a team-mate always blowing up at minor crap in the name of "spirit" OOOH LOOK HE JUST WANTS IT MORE THAN NORMAL PEEPLE.
    Just like Carragher, **** that guy, useless shit he was.