Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Emile Heskey

Been like watching grass grow lately, and if he fvcks off what do we have, Gold Coast.

Is Heskey the right fit for this team, for this club? I am not convinced that at $700,000 a season that we are getting our monies worth. Early on he was scoring goals but they have dryed up the last 2 months and to me (and I say this with the utmost respect for a player who has played at the highest level) he is just too one-dimensional. Fantastic poacher in and around the six-yard box but just too predictable in his general play. I hope he proves me wrong for the rest of the season but at the moment I just have mixed feelings about him and whether we should re-sign him for next season.

when just about every ball to him is a 60 yard bomb to his head (if lucky, most seem to just miss), what can he do?

not saying he's perfect (his touch yesterday was a bit ordinary in my opinion), but he's not a one man team.

also, i think HSGNPNJFC would argue his off-field value is worth the $700K

Heard in the car-park after yesterday's game.. "$700k and he can't even kick a ball"....

Shook my head at the utter ignorance on display. Not like he had gilt-edged chances that were spurned. He did a job (as per the norm) and fed team-mates around him. Never has been, and never will be a goal-pig.

I will admit, upon hearing of Heskey's signing, I was underwhelmed. Never really rated him from what I had seen on the TV. But it's the stuff he does off the ball and the little flick-ons into space that make him such a valuable player IMO. You lose sight of that on highlight reels etc. He could go the rest of the season without troubling the scorer, and he will have already exceeded my expectations.

Agree with the sentiments above RE: his total worth (on and off-field) being at least the $700k he is taking home.

anyone who hates Heskey can **** off.
    Jaliens gives me the horn

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    anyone who hates Heskey can **** off.

this

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    Heard in the car-park after yesterday's game.. "$700k and he can't even kick a ball"....

Shook my head at the utter ignorance on display. Not like he had gilt-edged chances that were spurned. He did a job (as per the norm) and fed team-mates around him. Never has been, and never will be a goal-pig.

I will admit, upon hearing of Heskey's signing, I was underwhelmed. Never really rated him from what I had seen on the TV. But it's the stuff he does off the ball and the little flick-ons into space that make him such a valuable player IMO. You lose sight of that on highlight reels etc. He could go the rest of the season without troubling the scorer, and he will have already exceeded my expectations.

Agree with the sentiments above RE: his total worth (on and off-field) being at least the $700k he is taking home.
    700k is a lot of money for a lay off player. For alot less you could get players to do the job at a similar level

Quote Originally Posted by joel31 View Post
    700k is a lot of money for a lay off player. For alot less you could get players to do the job at a similar level
    target man

he's a target man

Definition:
    A striker who is the target of passes from his teammates. A good target man will possess the strength to hold up the ball, hold off opponents and bring teammates into play. Target men are often tall, physical players who operate with their back to goal.
    it's exactly what we've needed for years, exactly what we've been given & exactly what most hal teams are missing out on (and minus sibon @ heart, i've not really seen anyone even remotely go close to being good at it at hal level from memory).

viduka, crouch, drogba, toni, gomez, van nistelrooy, muller, vieiri, higuain, huntelaar, ibra (), etc are all rough examples of players who do exactly (class-comparable) what heskey does brilliantly for us
    OK

How good was Viduka? I remember having a drink many years ago with some Brit friends who were here for the Ashes and they all agreed that he was probably the best back to goal striker in the premiership at the time. Probably my favourite Australian player

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    How good was Viduka? I remember having a drink many years ago with some Brit friends who were here for the Ashes and they all agreed that he was probably the best back to goal striker in the premiership at the time. Probably my favourite Australian player
    I agree.. Always loved Dukes.. Poor bugger always copped so much criticism off brain-dead morons who didn't understand the role he played, the presence he brougth and exactly what he was doing there..

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I agree.. Always loved Dukes.. Poor bugger always copped so much criticism off brain-dead morons who didn't understand the role he played, the presence he brougth and exactly what he was doing there..
    Note that neither he nor HK have retired....should get them together with Bridgey like an old band reunion !

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    those same dudes are now blasting heskey at the jets

dukes, grella & ljubes - how good were the mid 2000's socceroos
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Remember watching a highlights reel of Dukes back when he just retired. Some of the goals during his Celtic/EPL years he scored were of the highest calibre and just sheer class. He was a one in a generation player who we may not reproduce for who knows another 10-20 years in this country. Played a similar role to Heskey but Dukes is technically much better while Heskey is more direct in his play.

I cannot remember another striker that does as much defensive work as Heskey. At times he drops back to help out in defence or to pick the ball up. And yet it's rare that he's ever out of position when we are on the counter.

His team mates must dead set love the bloke for what he contributes both on and off the ball.

But he hasn't scored a million goals… deadset hopeless...

Quote Originally Posted by joel31 View Post
    put your money where your mouth is

Heskey is probably the best target man in the world, standard. I guarantee if you put him into a barcelona or similar squad he would probably grab as many goals as the others, he's not just a blunt instrument used to assault opponents, he's very technically gifted, and is worth 700k more then you
    Jaliens gives me the horn

Viduka is a legend. God I miss him and his Eastern European good looks.

Quote Originally Posted by hauss View Post
    Viduka is a legend. God I miss him and his Eastern European good looks.
    #nohomo

babalj is the next dukes btw (sup parksey & militia) - and probably a person i forgot in the heskey-and-sibon-are-the-only-ones-to-do-target-man-in-hal rant.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    those same dudes are now blasting heskey at the jets

dukes, grella & ljubes - how good were the mid 2000's socceroos
    Viuduka was one of my favourite socceroos players. He was better than Heskey

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    it's exactly what we've needed for years, exactly what we've been given & exactly what most hal teams are missing out on (and minus sibon @ heart, i've not really seen anyone even remotely go close to being good at it at hal level from memory).

viduka, crouch, drogba, toni, gomez, van nistelrooy, muller, vieiri, higuain, huntelaar, ibra (), etc are all rough examples of players who do exactly (class-comparable) what heskey does brilliantly for us
    Most of those players can make stuff happen, not just with service. Heskey's passing and dribbling aren't that great. So all he adds is holding up, winning headers laying off and getting onto crosses (which he doesn't get onto enough of them). Ryan Griffiths adds just as much on average to us for a lot less wage. Also in the last few games Heskey has been playing poor