Page 69 of 72 FirstFirst ... 19596768697071 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1426

Thread: Test Cricket aka real cricket

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    No devine reason why Waugh had to bat up the order, remember he played ODIs as an all rounder and had 10 overs to bowl each game. We had Boon, Border, Waugh M and the great Greg Ritchie in front of him. Because of him we could get rid of Simon Patrick O'Donnell.
    again, so he batted down the order because there were better bats ahead of him, therefore he wasnt even the best bat in his team let alone in any sort of historical context.

you keep proving my point and i appreciate it.

as for any vendetta against Steve Waugh, nah, i just dont buy into the myth. i fight back the same way against people who dispute Griff scoring the winner in the grand final.

the truth must be told JM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    ok seeing as though you dont actually want to bring any facts to the table and just keep shouting Tony Robbins catchphrases at the computer, heres all you need to know about Steve Waughs 'leadership'.

Since 1988 Australia had increased its gold medal count at each Summer Olympics right up until 2008 when we suffered our first decline.

Do you want to have a guess who the Australian Olympic committee brought in to lead the troops into battle?
    Do you want to know who the useless public servants employed to offer up advice, leadership, and all the battle hardened skills hed learned whilst playing top level sport?
    Do you want to take a guess who was front and centre for our first failure in 20 years?

go on, guess.

Oh you cant bring yourself can you.

Its Steve Waugh.
    The man, the myth, YOUR legend.

Sit yo ass down.
    Think that has a lot to do with the failings of our government keeping the spending levels up and the weakening of the AIS with too many hangers on involved than anything else

But sure try blaming Tugger for it as you blaming him for everything else

Banned
    again, so he batted down the order because there were better bats ahead of him, therefore he wasnt even the best bat in his team let alone in any sort of historical context.

you keep proving my point and i appreciate it.

as for any vendetta against Steve Waugh, nah, i just dont buy into the myth. i fight back the same way against people who dispute Griff scoring the winner in the grand final.

the truth must be told JM.
    Better bats than him in the side

6 Skips sit above him with a better Test Average

Bradman
    Smith
    Adam Voges yeah I lol at that too
    Greg Chappell

Ponting and Hussey fractionally above him

Only 36 blokes in the history of Test Cricket have better averages than him and of those guys only 6 have played more or a similar level of matches

There are even 10 blokes on that list who have played under 25 tests so their stats are a little iffy

Facts are the bloke was successful over a long time and his ability stands the test of time

Look at the blokes he has a better record over
    Clarke
    Border
    Gilchrist
    Haydon
    Etc

Champion every day

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    No devine reason why Waugh had to bat up the order, remember he played ODIs as an all rounder and had 10 overs to bowl each game. We had Boon, Border, Waugh M and the great Greg Ritchie in front of him. Because of him we could get rid of Simon Patrick O'Donnell.

Does Tugga have pics of your mum or something? I can see he has you somewhat vexed Plague!
    She didnt complain. Waugh goes good, Plague is crybaby.

always brings me joy to see people resort to 'yo mama' jokes and childish insults in order to divert from any attempt to prove their point.
    its almost as if theres nothing to back your actual argument up.
    funny that.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Better bats than him in the side

6 Skips sit above him with a better Test Average

Bradman
    Smith
    Adam Voges yeah I lol at that too
    Greg Chappell

Ponting and Hussey fractionally above him

Only 36 blokes in the history of Test Cricket have better averages than him and of those guys only 6 have played more or a similar level of matches

but heres where everyone wants it both ways.
    you all sit there and say 'he didnt get as many hundreds/runs etc because he batted down the order', but by batting down the order he accrued way more not outs than any other recognised batsman, therefore artificially inflating his average.

the not outs helped his average, batting down the order helped him get not outs (the only ones with more are all recognized bowlers).
    Seems like I am WRONG

by the way Member that Adam Voges shoutout was spectacular.

well in sir.
    Seems like I am WRONG

but heres where everyone wants it both ways.
    you all sit there and say 'he didnt get as many hundreds/runs etc because he batted down the order', but by batting down the order he accrued way more not outs than any other recognised batsman, therefore artificially inflating his average.

the not outs helped his average, batting down the order helped him get not outs (the only ones with more are all recognized bowlers).
    Didn't he just bat down the order in ODIs? Which I think you're the only one really mentioning, everyone else is more focused on what he did in Tests. His early career was before my time, but I think he usually batted 4 in the Tests from what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Didn't he just bat down the order in ODIs? Which I think you're the only one really mentioning, everyone else is more focused on what he did in Tests. His early career was before my time, but I think he usually batted 4 in the Tests from what I remember.
    221 of his 260 test innings were at 5 or 6.
    He was most successful at 5 (avg 56)
    He has one test hundred batting either at 3 or 4 (avg 32 and 34).
    Seems like I am WRONG

Well there you go.

Sobers batted the majority of his career at 6. Walters at 5 or 6.

Honestly, it's very difficult if not a bit crazy to judge someone on where they bat in a lineup [Although Sobers actually did better at 3 average wise].

Waugh, Sobers, and Walters were also quality bowlers - which is probably the best explanation for where they batted in the order.

Well there you go.
    actually this is exactly my point in all this, and this is no shade on you Macca.

but peoples memory of the bloke are way different to what actually happened. Through a very generous retelling of history by Ch 9, we are continually reminded that he was the reason those teams were so great. I just find it dishonest to the rest of the tem that for the most part were all way more individually talented and successful than Waugh.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Sobers batted the majority of his career at 6. Walters at 5 or 6.

Honestly, it's very difficult if not a bit crazy to judge someone on where they bat in a lineup [Although Sobers actually did better at 3 average wise].

Waugh, Sobers, and Walters were also quality bowlers - which is probably the best explanation for where they batted in the order.
    seriously, you blokes can get the **** out of here with this type of deflection. the best bats are at 3 and 4. Your 'toughest' open. the charity spots go in between the good bats and the keeper.

as for 'quality bowlers needing to bat down the order (Waughs 92 test wickets doesnt make him any sort of 'quality').
    the best all rounded in history (and its not even close) Jacques Kallis scored over 12000 of his 13000 test runs at 3 or 4.

seriously, can you all just admit that the stats dont help Waughs case? your hand me down memories and Channel 9 revisionist history is all you have.
    Seems like I am WRONG

actually this is exactly my point in all this, and this is no shade on you Macca.

but peoples memory of the bloke are way different to what actually happened. Through a very generous retelling of history by Ch 9, we are continually reminded that he was the reason those teams were so great. I just find it dishonest to the rest of the tem that for the most part were all way more individually talented and successful than Waugh.
    I'm also gonna claim age in my favour too since he debuted before I was born. Actually now you mention it, now I have so much more doubt where he batted. I had thought 4 after Ponting. But then I think Martyn was 4, so he was probably 5 when he was in the team. Guessing M Waugh was the previous No. 3 before Ponting, but when they were both in then Steve was 5 or 6, not sure how much overlap there was between Ricky and Mark.

Steve does have ~50% more not out's from a similar amount of innings to Ponting, so as you suggest that would elevate his average a little.

Anyway, bloke goes alright.

I'm also gonna claim age in my favour too since he debuted before I was born. Actually now you mention it, now I have so much more doubt where he batted. I had thought 4 after Ponting. But then I think Martyn was 4, so he was probably 5 when he was in the team. Guessing M Waugh was the previous No. 3 before Ponting, but when they were both in then Steve was 5 or 6, not sure how much overlap there was between Ricky and Mark.

Steve does have ~50% more not out's from a similar amount of innings to Ponting, so as you suggest that would elevate his average a little.

Anyway, bloke goes alright.
    Mark Waugh batted at four. Either Boon or Dean Jones would have been the no.3 [although Jones batted a bit at 4 and 5 later on as well- possibly Martyn would have been at 4 or 5 - but never at 3 as far as I can remember. AB batted anywhere from 3 to 5 so he would have been both before and after Junior as well.

I don't remember M. Waugh batting at 3 - but apparently he did once.

Edit: And Punter batted a lot at three as well even early on.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 13-09-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Not sure if true but a stat getting thrown around today was that Steve Smith scored more boundaries than Warner did runs in the Ashes series.

Dear Lord please let that be true.

oh and Warner will be there for 1st test of the summer because ummmmm, ok.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Not sure if true but a stat getting thrown around today was that Steve Smith scored more boundaries than Warner did runs in the Ashes series.

Even after his dismissal in the 5th test his mates on the commentary box were saying how he will be good once he gets to face the red Kookaburra ball rather than the duke.
    As a former test opener once said - it's hard to get into the Australia test team and even harder to get out.
    Hopefully that's no longer the case - Warner needs to make way for some new blood.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/smi...b-a483858916a4

Smith stroked more boundaries this series (97) than David Warner scored runs (95).
    OK

S Waugh>>>>>>>>Most Aussie batsman>>>>>>>>>>Warner

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Even after his dismissal in the 5th test his mates on the commentary box were saying how he will be good once he gets to face the red Kookaburra ball rather than the duke.
    As a former test opener once said - it's hard to get into the Australia test team and even harder to get out.
    Hopefully that's no longer the case - Warner needs to make way for some new blood.
    3 test series in England and he still hasn't got a hundred and at no stage has ever looked capable over there so to see him come back and thrive in Australia wouldn't be a surprise

If anything the success of Labuschagne and the failure of our openers Harris Bancroft and Warner should actually see Matt Renshaw getting a ****ing go

The bloke in his time in test cricket has shown a desire to leave the ball and occupy the crease
    Something that both Smith and Labuschagne do but no other **** in the side seems to comprehend

I actually all for leaving Warner out for good we should have done it after SA