Page 56 of 72 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1426

Thread: Test Cricket aka real cricket

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I'll be following your KOTH tips this week then.
    yeah about this.

i only work* about 6 weeks a year. right now im in the middle of it. hence my poor KOTH attendance. ill be back for Autumn though, so get on son.

*and by work i mean a 9am tee off followed by lunch then late lunch then post work drinks. Plague will be in no state to focus on form guides.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    I love how in your little rant you proved yourself wrong.
    How ? The current world record is 18 years old - and the British record is 32 years old ?

The studies if you read them are not talking about all past generations being better. They are saying that recent generations have fallen behind . Which is unusual - because we expect imrpovement but it appears that free play may be more important than structured training - at least for kids.

Did you read any of the studies ?

And no I'm not saying these studies explain the world mile record over time - But they do point to a reduction in speed and endurance in recent generations [not specific to professionals] compared to their parents and grand parents since the study data began.

I'm always keen to learn new things so if you can explain why this is wrong I'm more than happy to find out why.

Maybe I'm not getting it and if so I'd like to know why.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 21-12-2017 at 01:46 AM.

I have no issues admitting I am wrong - and this time I'm definitely wrong.

Just discovered that while the averages are in decline the elite level is not following that trend on the world stage.

http://age-records.125mb.com/

We currently have 12 year olds running sub even time 100 metres. A 12 year old Jamaican kid ran 10.9 into a 0.7m wind. Time is ratified and official. Holy crap.

The current and recent 100m record for an under 16 is now 10.15 - That's insane and from someone with a bit of experience in athletics it won't be because of drugs - they do sfa at that age given they already producing enough naturally.

I'm absolutely shocked.

We also have 17 year olds breaking the 10 second barrier as well now.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 21-12-2017 at 03:26 PM.

Just discovered that while the averages are in decline the elite level is not following that trend on the world stage.

We currently have 12 year olds running sub even time 100 metres. A 12 year old Jamaican kid ran 10.9 into a 0.7m wind. Time is ratified and official. Holy crap.

The current and recent 100m record for an under 16 is now 10.15 - That's insane and from someone with a bit of experience in athletics it won't be because of drugs - they do sfa at that age given they already producing enough naturally.

I'm absolutely shocked.

The 17 and 16 year olds don't shock me tooo much, obviously they are super quick times but we've all seen 14 year olds that look like grown men.
    The 12 year olds though, wow.

Thanks for the info too, glad to hear my assumption on the elite vs average was fairly correct.

And to make Premy happy.

Under 16 One Mile World Record - 3:56.29 Jakob Ingebrigtsen NOR 19 Sep 00 Oslo 15 Jun 17

Holy shit.

I stand corrected.

I'm absolutely shocked.

But dont we have more kids who are overweight than decades gone.

So elites are improving or same. the amateur sport kids are are ok while we have a much larger cohort of fatties
    Last edited by hawk; 21-12-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    But dont we have more kids who are overweight than decades gone.

So elites are improving or same. the amateur sport kids are are ok while we have a much larger cohort of fatties
    Yes the average kids today are struggling in comparison to parents and grandparents - but the elite kids are kicking arse if we are talking about best in the world.

So as Oscar Goldman said - " We have the technology". [youngsters be googling that shit 4 sure]

Macca was right on the money.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 21-12-2017 at 10:00 PM.

Went for a walk yesterday....cool morning, no rain, school hols, fresh air in beautiful reserve parkland with a big playground at the back of the estate.

I saw a total of two kids outside swimming in their pool.

No bikes, no cricket, no football, no kids in the streets or reserve at all doing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Went for a walk yesterday....cool morning, no rain, school hols, fresh air in beautiful reserve parkland with a big playground at the back of the estate.

No bikes, no cricket, no football, no kids in the streets or reserve at all doing anything.
    And yet I would say more young kids play organised / club cricket now than they did in the 60's, 70's or 80's. I think kids at 5 years old and up are playing club cricket now which was very rare if it even happened at all in the 60's or 70's.

The growth in cricket at the junior level is very strong - see article below.
    https://www.cricket.com.au/news/nati...-17/2017-08-11

This issue though is that it needs to be because of how strong junior cricket is in countries like India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. Pretty amazing that we can even compete with these countries given the massive pools of talent they have to choose from.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 22-12-2017 at 12:06 PM.

I suppose the ones that want it have better pathways now to follow.

They be all at the mates place with no parents watching pron, sneaking twist tops and xboxing. life of a pre teen in our times ay :/

They be all at the mates place with no parents watching pron, sneaking twist tops and xboxing. life of a pre teen in our times ay :/
    Am extremely jealous at how easy it is for them to find pron.

In my day you had to have a mate who had an older brother who had the guts to walk into a sex shop in the Cross and get a few copies of Ribald.

Am extremely jealous at how easy it is for them to find pron.

In my day you had to have a mate who had an older brother who had the guts to walk into a sex shop in the Cross and get a few copies of Ribald.
    Strangely enough, we had much less trouble getting into pubs and clubs as kids.

copies of Ribald.
    bahahha rofled my ass off. havent heard that name since the 80's

If you lent one to a mate - you definitely didn't want it back that's for sure. I'm guessing you remember the quarto sized magazine Hawk - or can you also remember when it was a Newspaper as well ?

The chicks in them were absolute horrors though - wasn't unusual to see a few track marks on them either.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 22-12-2017 at 11:53 PM.

If you lent one to a mate - you definitely didn't want it back that's for sure. I'm guessing you remember the quarto sized magazine Hawk - or can you also remember when it was a Newspaper as well ?.
    Newspaper? well ibf. didnt know that one.

I only remember mates older brothers passing the odd one around who then became suburban legends. for years I thought only pommy chicks with 70's haircuts did things like that.

Everyones heard, about the Bird

Honestly still have a few copies stored away with various old football mags and Penthouses just for nostalgia purposes. Loved the comics...as well as the 80s "big hair" down below on some of thise girls!
    Was amazed to find that a collection Ribalds exist in the National Library.

Anyway....the Boxing Day test is underway.

had no idea pron can take on a historical context.

anyways 1st test is on we used to play test match both the original and the new when cricket is on.

note the spring loaded pullback string batsman

we won a toss

Can’t make this shit up.