Thread: N'cle Breakers: 30 years 4/10/91 - 4/10/21

N'cle Breakers: 30 years 4/10/91 - 4/10/21

This Monday the 4th October 2021, it will be 30 years since the Newcastle Breakers started a new era in local football.

After the N'cle Rosebuds couldn't overcome St George on Sat Sept 13th 1986, (losing 1-2) we were bundled out
    of the 2 conference League despite finishing 6th and 3 points off 2nd place.

What followed was a short 4 year period which I dubbed 'The Wilderness years' of State League football.
    N'cel Football Club Limited was formed for the 1987 season, still playing on Adamstown Oval. Then we voted to move
    to Birmingham Gardens where Austral Park became our new home for the next 13 years.

4 years of away trips, limited to Sydney, Wollongong and Canberra took a turn on the 4th Oct, 1991 when we once again
    graced the top flight in Australia. Hats off to people like Con & John Mitsios and Dave McGuire(sp?) who worked to get the club
    the sponsorship with BHP, grants for the grandstand and renovations on the club and ground. I'm sure there were many others I have forgotten.
    Dave Brown? - who was involved with KB United but he may have become a director only in the later years.

My word there were some crackers and standout games on that field.
    Like the Jets, we lost our first game to Adelaide but beating Sth Melbourne 3-1 in the 2nd game was special.
    Syd Olympic 3-2 a few years later and the whole northern hill getting into it singing.
    Games v Perth Glory and Greg Owens cracking a few worldies.
    There was one game we were up 1-0 v Carlton (Pryce 70min P) and Todd McManus was adjudged to have handballed on the line - replays show it was in the breadbasket. An obvious equaliser from the ref. Up steps Alex Moreira - and you'd bet your left he was going to put it in. The whole hill ran to the fence giving him, the ref and the whole Carlton team the big ones. Shot - Bobby Catlin drops to his right and the ball rolls harmlessly past the opposite upright. Cue scenes

And then there are the infamous ones...
    A lightning delayed game v Syd Croatia and Zeljko Kalac taking the biggest air swing in goalkeeping history, allowing Rod Brown to tap in.
    I remember a game where 2 x Adelaide players were sent off and we couldn't buy a goal for love nor money.
    And the most infamous of all?
    Tue 5th May, 2000. Newcastle 0 - Paramatta Power 1
    From memory, this game was a washout replay.
    Lord Griff put a penalty away in the 30th. I had tech that night and arrived at HT, knowing at that stage a win was going to help get us into the finals for the first time. It was pretty deflating walking in looking at the scoreboard. Then, the unthinkable happened when we win 2 penalties and one Andy Harper manages to miss both of them. I think one hit the post...at least?

Sadly, it all ended in the League with a 4-0 loss away to Sth Melbourne. Match report here
    There was a 2000/01 pre-season I recall where we played a 'final' v Marconi at Birmingham Gardens but lost 0-2
    For the record, Newcastle United played their first game on the 14/10/00 but that's another story...

They were great times and I can contest to friendships and connections with people on that hill that lead to the formation of the club I'm up to my neck in now.

It's a shame what happened in the end. There are lots of views on what happened and what should have happened - particularly with that ground.
    In the end, it literally went to the dogs but what a great training facility it could have been and a venue for Youth and W-League teams; for football in general.

Interested in some old and young heads with your thoughts, perceptions and memories of what was a great era in the history of Newcastle football.

Trivia: The 4th of Oct is also Warren Spink's birthday.

Brea-kers * * * , Brea-kers * * *
    Last edited by Retro Jet; 01-10-2021 at 10:58 PM.
    Klyden, after inhaling the smoke from a cigarette:- (S02E11)
    "I feel as if I have been standing my entire life, and I just sat down."
    The Orville - returning to SBS. June 3rd, 2022

I was a wee boy at the time.
    But I still remember Harper missing both pens. Can still remember the old man having a fit when he lined up to take the second, and telling him, he won’t miss again….. lol.
    John Buonavoglia by memory was 5ft nothing and all they had was XL shirts left. Somebody will probably correct those stats. But when he was away on call you knew those little legs would get him there.
    The Rowdies!

I remember drinking Melbourne Bitter under some very poor lighting on the hill !

I remember sitting on the western grassed area with my family. I was about 8 or 10 maybe and my mum always sat there knitting. One game Andy Roberts comes screaming across for one of his signature clearances into the crowd and clocks my mum in the face with an absolute tracer bullet clearance. My mum just shook it off, picked up her glasses and continued knitting.
    Many a great memory of Birmingham Gardens, including scoring a hatty against Wallsend there

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    I was a wee boy at the time.
    But I still remember Harper missing both pens. Can still remember the old man having a fit when he lined up to take the second, and telling him, he won’t miss again….. lol.
    John Buonavoglia by memory was 5ft nothing and all they had was XL shirts left. Somebody will probably correct those stats. But when he was away on call you knew those little legs would get him there.
    The Rowdies!
    Enjoy it once more....

Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Enjoy it once more....

It’s hard to watch everytime

Jetmaster/The Hacker: I'm just gonna go all Brando and say "The horror. The horror...."

Here's a 45minute summary of the first game.
    Check out the 'Gods' who descended for the occasion at the start.
    And at 1:41, the Moustached man himself, Andy Paschalidis.
    The last time I saw him was 2006 in the streets of Heidelberg, the day after the Japan game, leading a tour!

And this clip was by one of the Rowdies. It's a promotional clip for the 98/99 season.
    Lots of Rowdies shots (funny that), hijinks in front of green screens, hits ....and misses.

I sms'd a lot of people I have as contacts to remind them of the occasion tonight.
    I was humbled to have 'Mr Ncle Breakers' himself Andy Roberts reply.

And if ever a clip killed 2 birds with one stone, this one from the Breakers vs the Socceroos.
    Interview with Warren first up.
    He scored, we beat them and he was later to become a Breaker himself. Happy Birthday, Sid! (55yo)