Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: HAL 12/13 Rd 1 - Newcastle United Jets vs Adelaide United 07/10/11 k/off 3pm AEHT

6-8 weeks, what's that...errr only 18-24 points down the toilet

ps how great is it that it only took 57 seconds for this season to end up on the scrapheap? lol!

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    ps how great is it that it only took 57 seconds for this season to end up on the scrapheap? lol!
    It's always better when we lose.
    That way we can bust out our managerial chops to pinpoint exactly where players/coaches/club got it wrong.

When we win it's naval gazing all round as some fools find compliments for Deans etc

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    6-8 weeks, what's that...errr only 18-24 points down the toilet

Good point.

p.s was that a catalan flag hangin on fence in front of bay 1?

Was good to see that Kanta was back to his bayern form yesterday.

I might have to watch the replay. From the initial viewing at the ground, I thought Goodwin was absolutely woeful. It could have been the instructions he was given though, as we lacked width in the middle and generally bypassed the midfield all-together.
    Especially playing a back three, which doesn't really allow for Fullbacks to push forward, I thought the tactics were awfully bad.

I am so confused as to why managers seem to be afraid of playing a 4-4-2 these days, or any variation. There are probably 15 different ways to employ the 4-4-2, I don't think it automatically pigeon-holes a manager as "un-inventive". Play to your strengths, and as far as I can see, our strength should be our midfield.

I can understand why GVE is trying to play the 3-pronged attack, and for the most part I thought that worked well on Sunday. They just weren't getting quality ball as it was getting hoofed from the back. Keep the front 3, but maybe play with 3 in the middle and a back 4? Diamond midfield would work well I feel. Wheelhouse screening the back 4, Rubez on 1 flank, whoever else on the other. Just have to ensure the wide men track back and tuck in when we don't have the ball.

Also, after watching that tripe yesterday, I now have acute conjunctivitis. GVE's tactics actually hurt my eyes. Way to go

Quote Originally Posted by russjaybee View Post
    ROFL @ "that's why you're a journalist"

Jokes on gazza as we did look very disjointed out there, can tell they've not played at all with Heskey at the point and looked new to the system with 3 at the back.
    IF there are people seriously putting out the "GvE Out" message then they are retarded, he has to be given time. I think it will take several weeks before the team starts to click at all and perhaps before we even score.
    Having said that, it is fairly disappointing that we A) look so disjointed and B) really did look to be lacking some fitness. Yes I understand Heskey is new to the squad but the lack of movement / combinations and overall balance was a little concerning.
    This is a good summary of my thoughts as well.

The biggest disappointment for me was that we had months and months of pre-season playing with various systems and players, and yet when it all mattered we put out the wrong team and played in the wrong way. The good thing is that this was one game, and I know we can play better than that.

Fm if Joel can score the winning goal in the gf we can kick gve out after one game. There I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    Not so much Gary, need some big improvements over yesterdays performances, after all didn't we clean out our roster to be better now, not in a few years time, or are we in the "Rebuilding Phase" again.
    Yep. Will need some time with the new kids'n'all.

I think winning may give more entertainment value than entertaining play and consistently losing, Gaz?

Just to eze any anxiety, there be no finals footy but there'll be plenty of entertaining attacking play.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunta View Post
    Fm if Joel can score the winning goal in the gf we can kick gve out after one game. There I said it.
    Last coach got fired before season started so that wouldn't be any type of club record to see the coach awarded the arse after Rd 1!!!

Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    Was anyone else getting the shits with the short free kicks when the player receiving the ball was being marked?
    I don't know - due to Fox Sports' retardation I didn't get to see any of the free kicks, only the ball trickling over the by line about 5 seconds later. stop showing multiple replays when there's play on!!

got around to downloading and watching the game, as i didn't get back into the country until tuesday.

a part of me died on the inside upon seeing "zads lads". please esad, all of you.

loved the first glimpse of the squadron, and crowd - seeing the newcastle ultras going all gangnam style on our arses (0:30-0:34 of ODF's first half, for reference).

i watched the game still jet-lagged, so can't comment on it all, but the midfield looked like they were giving the defence no help whatsoever and mitchell was forced into playing it anywhere and usually came out unfortunately going to adelaide. in attack, ryugriff looked lost for thought & adelaide's 6-7 men in the box was a bus we couldn't seem to crack through at all.

if we're going to be so predictable in playing it up to wide, then forcing the target man issue, teams are going to deal with us very easily as boogard & co seemed to on the weekend. i don't think we're mobile enough to do what brisbane did last year, which is what our game seems to want to do.
    Last edited by pv4; 11-10-2012 at 10:20 AM.
    OK

Just watched the game this morning.
    I have to say, extremely dissapointed in Zad and Wheelhouse. The first 20 minutes was pretty much watching them loop aimless balls forward to Adelaide defenders. Pretty impressed with Goodwin and Griff's contributions. Can't judge Heskey - got zero quality ball. Looks to me like we need a guy in the middle of the field who's decent on the ball and has a bit of attacking flair. Brown will be the man when he's fit again, but I can't see Ribiero doing any worse than Zad and Wheelhouse at feeding the ball forward. Give him a go I reckon.

what the f*** was kanta & jobe doing for the second goal? didn't even seem remotely keen to shuffle across, left zadkid with the job of both covering a man as well as pressuring the ball (which we seemed to do sfa of all game) and we were caught out with our amazingly-tactical 3 at the back.
    OK