Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HAL 12/13 Rd 1 - Newcastle United Jets vs Adelaide United 07/10/11 k/off 3pm AEHT

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Ah OK. Has he been playing well? Don't get me wrong I rate the kid but thought last year something was wrong. Either he was hurt or his head was elsewhere. Would love nothing more than to see Kanta back in top form.

(Even though I think he should eventually be a centre back but that's another debate for another day)
    I think I'm in the same camp as you plague, although to be fair, he did impress me against WS. He looked very much active and involved in the game, which is the opposite impression I got from him last season.

Still a far cry from where everyone hoped he might be at a couple of years ago.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    kanta takes too many pingas

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    kanta takes too many pingas
    this isn't the chants thread bud
    OK

I don't think BK or Briaz have done too much wrong in the preseason so would assume gve would (should) show respect the BK as the current No.1

Didn't see bk at yesterdays intraclub trial, injured? I was only there for the first third tho so he may have played some part

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    Didn't see bk at yesterdays intraclub trial, injured? I was only there for the first third tho so he may have played some part
    Spoke to bk at the game, had a needle and couldn't play.

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    I don't think they'll start slowly - it's the best pre-season we've had. Most signings were made very very early, we've had plenty of matches and plenty of time for GVE to get his formations and tactics right, and I've never seen so many formation variations - feels like we have a lot more options than ever before - most seasons our 11 was sorted with maybe one or two occasional changes.
    Jets 3-1 to get the season off to a flyer, something I don't think we've ever done before.
    sounds really good, i hope we're not looking through these

Quote Originally Posted by Grunta View Post
    I don't think BK or Briaz have done too much wrong in the preseason so would assume gve would (should) show respect the BK as the current No.1
    I dont think GVE has respect for his players

i actually thought until i saw the wsw game that biraz wasn't playing that good. couple of really dodgy incidents with his clearances of the ball when under pressure. example being against the select side when he kicked the ball into mitchells head when put under pressure and the select side scored from it.

i guess it comes down to training as much as game time but out of respect BK should be given the first shot at the number 1 spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

Full house if Heskey plays.

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    Full house if Heskey plays.
    most fairweather jets fans (i.e. the people who make the difference between a 12000 crawd and a full house) wouldn't even know who heskey is

Quote Originally Posted by toad View Post
    most fairweather jets fans (i.e. the people who make the difference between a 12000 crawd and a full house) wouldn't even know who heskey is
    ^^^^^This

Heskey will bring punters in if he does his job and helps the team start scoring goals.

Quote Originally Posted by toad View Post
    I'm not sure how this will play out. It seems half of Newcastle are Liverpool supporters so his signing may draw them out of the woodwork.

My hope is that his signing will at least help us hit the Jets membership target of 11,000, help them sell maybe 2 or 3 thousand Heskey Jerseys and Boost crowd averages to around 15,000, with more people coming depending on how well the Jets are playing as a team.

These kind of numbers will make the signing of Heskey a break even prospect financially with anything above that being a bonus.

newcastle fairweather sporting fans in general; if the teams winning they come, if the teams losing they don't
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

Quote Originally Posted by hauss View Post
    I'm not sure how this will play out. It seems half of Newcastle are Liverpool supporters so his signing may draw them out of the woodwork.

My hope is that his signing will at least help us hit the Jets membership target of 11,000, help them sell maybe 2 or 3 thousand Heskey Jerseys and Boost crowd averages to around 15,000, with more people coming depending on how well the Jets are playing as a team.

These kind of numbers will make the signing of Heskey a break even prospect financially with anything above that being a bonus.
    Really? How would you know what the break even point is?

3000 jerseys at $10 profit for club : $30000
    $10 is just a guess but they retail for about $100 and there would be alot of people to pay along the way (i 'm assuming a-league take a cut of this?).

15000 ppl/game, assuming 11000 average without heskey so 4000/game is the "heskey factor".
    13 home games = 52 000 extra tickets.
    assuming $20 to the club per "attendance" (some will be kids, some will buy food/beer/etc).
    52k * 13 = $1000000

so yeah don't think the jerseys will make much difference but 4k extra fans per game is probably about break even.

HAL dont get a cut anymore am pretty sure toad since the Reebok deal expired. All clubs have their own deals and get to keep their profits.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by De-Champ View Post
    Really? How would you know what the break even point is?
    By examing the various revenue streams available and using publicly available information. It's not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    HAL dont get a cut anymore am pretty sure toad since the Reebok deal expired. All clubs have their own deals and get to keep their profits.
    ok so we might make as much as 50% profit then? anyone have more of an idea about this?

no idea on what the margins are, assuming those details would be commercial in confidence between ISC and HSG.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast