Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 National Premier League thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    And before anyone asks,no my son never played there or trialed there.
    So how do you really know. Plenty of lads have been cut from "big clubs" and continue to hate them. Not just jaffs.
    Geez did you know about the Weston Maitland feud?

IMO, Jaffs are a young club at this level, very central and somewhat transient on that account. Weston, Maitland, Tronno, Valo, edgy have village comradery and the ethnics based clubs keep those cultural connections. You could say Jaffs are still finding their "soul" or internal connection.
    I think RH will have to leave for that to happen

Quote Originally Posted by immersion View Post
    Image link: https://gyazo.com/97aa24f74c9679cfb14da53f7c6da645

This image shows a bunch of hands. You can see Zach's and his hand on Pappas's chest.

There is not much in it. But the refs can't process what happened with a high degree of accuracy in real-time. Zach runs in with intent. Places not much of hand on Pappas. Pappas goes down and almost loses his shirt, which makes it looks worse than it is.

Honestly, I can see how the refs came to sending Zach off. Albeit not much in it, the evidence would have looked to the ref that it was worse than it is.

But who knows how Pappas stays on the park? Just an awful decision. The tackle was disgusting.
    Cheers. Would love to see a few more frames.
    I remember recently a young player making a bad tackle and while he was on the ground an old hard nut ran in and picked him up by the shirt and slammed him into the ground several times. Ref only gave yellow card because he said it wasn't actually a punch. Where is the consistency on retaliation and should diving be rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by terry View Post
    Weston, Maitland, Tronno, Valo, edgy have village comradery and the ethnics based clubs keep those cultural connections. You could say Jaffs are still finding their "soul" or internal connection.
    I think RH will have to leave for that to happen
    Yes this is what I was getting.I dont know many people that 'hate' Jaffas, in the same way i dont know many that 'love' them.Thats why I think they kind of get lost in the mix of it all.I wasnt meaning anything nasty about it and actually think your term of finding their soul is better than mine of souless (but I think we mean a similar thing).

Quote Originally Posted by early_to_the_match View Post
    Cheers. Would love to see a few more frames.
    I remember recently a young player making a bad tackle and while he was on the ground an old hard nut ran in and picked him up by the shirt and slammed him into the ground several times. Ref only gave yellow card because he said it wasn't actually a punch. Where is the consistency on retaliation and should diving be rewarded.
    This is the problem with the referees that many have spoken on this forum. The inconsistency is awful.

Diving shouldn't be rewarded. Though in the Pappas and Zach situation I dont see how the ref could have made any other decision regarding Zach. It would have happened so quickly. There were already a few players involved making it more difficult. I can see how the referee sent him off.

I just can't see how he doesn't send Pappas off. both his tackles in that 10 second period are yellows at the minimum. The second is a straight red and a 3 week suspension IMO. I'd give him and extra week for dangerous nature of the tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    In hindsight 'souless' might sound a bit worse than I was intending but it just goes back to my days playing and no one really being a proud former 'Jaffa'.People played there,then they left and that was the end of the relationship.I always used to contrast it with the way ethnic based clubs and clubs with the advantage of location had a way bigger sense of loyalty and community around them.You see old boys days at so many other clubs and it always seems their turnouts are way bigger and way more passionate.Since my eldest has gone through the JDL program and now into NPL youth that club has always been in the middle of some of the more baffling behaviour id seen along the way.They just have a way of doing things that is successful right now but long term it never seems like people have the same affection for the club and continue to stay involved once they leave.It must also be noted that this approach works.They will most likely win 13s this year and they will be better next year because they have already poached good players from rival clubs.If winning is everything its hard to fault the approach,but especially with local football Ive always seen a bit more to it.Add in the lack of womens football and even any ZPL adjacent representation and it always seems a pretty one dimensional club.It should also be noted that there are lots of people who volunteer and work for the club who put in just as much effort every week and this is no knock on them.Again,its my opinion and I dont hate the place but just thought I'd answer your question.
    Maybe it's because their ground is in New Lambton. They "drink" at a New Lambton pub. Even Lambton doesn't want to own them.....maybe it started when they ditched the brown shorts? Maybe it's the cash they spend that people resent? Anyway it makes for a good rivalry next year and football needs more hatred, more derbies, more controversy.

One of the worst performances by a ref in a GF that I remember, it would’ve been completely different if he got it right and sent Papas off, that was an easy decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    One of the worst performances by a ref in a GF that I remember, it would’ve been completely different if he got it right and sent Papas off, that was an easy decision.
    Leo laugh.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    100% straight red all day

I'm glad to see Zac's red card wiped.

Quote Originally Posted by early_to_the_match View Post
    I'm glad to see Zac's red card wiped.
    Where did you hear this ettm

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    In the Herald

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Newcastle Herald. Review done and red card wiped.

Just read the article herald. So let me get this straight. This Pappas fella has injured two Maitland players leaving them with ligament damage and facing 12 & 6 weeks recovery time respectively and then gotten a third player incorrectly and unfairly sent off and all this in the biggest game of the season. Even more impressively has achieved all this within the timeframe of 30 seconds. The guy should audition to be the next Bond Villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonal Marking View Post
    Just read the article herald. So let me get this straight. This Pappas fella has injured two Maitland players leaving them with ligament damage and facing 12 & 6 weeks recovery time respectively and then gotten a third player incorrectly and unfairly sent off and all this in the biggest game of the season. Even more impressively has achieved all this within the timeframe of 30 seconds. The guy should audition to be the next Bond Villain.
    Hopefully all 4 officials are held accountable.
    Maybe they need to make the game about the players and not about themselves
    Hand in your license and never ref again

Would be interesting if every time a player had a bad game, they never played again….

Or you could use the footage and situation as education to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Would be interesting if every time a player had a bad game, they never played again….

Or you could use the footage and situation as education to improve.
    They get dropped. What do match officials get? They ref the same comp again

Quote Originally Posted by magician View Post
    They get dropped. What do match officials get? They ref the same comp again
    I was responding to the “hand in your license and never ref again” comment. Simply Applied the same logic to a player who had a bad game.

And I also don’t exactly agree that a good coach drops a player for having a bad game. I’d like to think they coach the player in the first instance and point out what can be improved and worked on. If it’s something that is ongoing and need long term development, sure drop them.

Similarly, instead of “hey ref, you made a bad decision there. Leave your uniform at the door, you’re done”. Perhaps, maybe, you could try to educate and develop the decision making. Not sure the refereeing ranks have the numbers to drop refs due to a poor game.
    We don’t know, but I’m assuming the ref in question, has performed reasonably well throughout their career, and recent season and thus was awarded the GF (judged by referee assessor’s who know the rules and interpretations).

Anyway. I’m not defending the decisions or what went on in the game. Just passing by and thought it was a bit overzealous to say the ref should never ref again.

I was responding to the “hand in your license and never ref again” comment. Simply Applied the same logic to a player who had a bad game.

And I also don’t exactly agree that a good coach drops a player for having a bad game. I’d like to think they coach the player in the first instance and point out what can be improved and worked on. If it’s something that is ongoing and need long term development, sure drop them.

Similarly, instead of “hey ref, you made a bad decision there. Leave your uniform at the door, you’re done”. Perhaps, maybe, you could try to educate and develop the decision making. Not sure the refereeing ranks have the numbers to drop refs due to a poor game.
    We don’t know, but I’m assuming the ref in question, has performed reasonably well throughout their career, and recent season and thus was awarded the GF (judged by referee assessor’s who know the rules and interpretations).

Anyway. I’m not defending the decisions or what went on in the game. Just passing by and thought it was a bit overzealous to say the ref should never ref again.
    Agree, referees all over the world get decisions wrong. As a whole refereeing this season in NPL has been poor, better refs going around in ZPL

Your acting like this is a one off.
    They get chance after chance and there is no improvement

Problem is they're not all going to be like Diggers and keep ref'ing until their 40s (I'm assuming. Apologies if I've done you dirty Diggers). In 10yrs they'll all be better referees, but cop it now, so will probably give it away shortly.
    Where's Cleal? He was one of the better ones in my opinion, but has he already moved on?