Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast

Thread: 2022 National Premier League thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
    Will only strengthen the club, direct link to Jets Youth and Magic First Grade for those players that the Jets is too much for them... have the staff to support Zane in the dual role.

Into the future Jets and Magic collaborating for B league, Jets to have the best youth set up in the country through the B League... exciting times for Magic Park.
    Been happening for years. Magic are the best leeches when sucking onto the better youth. Thats why their youth are always near top, not much through development as they like to try and tell everyone.
    Look at this years jets kids most arrived there late as most did the year before. Hamo had their avenue as well but that has dried up.
    If you want a benchmark for development look no further than mid coast 13s. Quality system.

Nothing new to see here but if it works, well played

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Across both the boys and girls academy there are a number of coaches now with duel roles, with all academy training being in the mornings now and clubs still being afternoons there won’t be a clash training wise, Game day could be interesting for some but I’m sure they have things set up in club land well enough that they thought taking on the academy role wouldn’t hinder them.
    will likely be an interesting season all round watching from the outside to see how it all goes in the 13-18s, seniors probably next season onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by The Magician View Post

Into the future Jets and Magic collaborating for B league, Jets to have the best youth set up in the country through the B League... exciting times for Magic Park.
    The very idea that Newy will have a team in the B League is laughable. We can barely sustain an A-League team let alone add another pro club to the region.

B League will be teams from Sydney and Melbourne, with Canberra and Wollongong in addition.

Magic and Jets collaborating on a B League team because DZ is now in charge on Jets Youth team is drawn with as long a bow as I’ve read on here in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Forever View Post
    Anyone read article yesterday about Zane taking on jets youth role?

Curious to know if this impacts his coaching gig at Magic.
    Understand DZ doesn’t work outside of football as looks after his kids, so would likely have capacity for both roles.

Great appointment for the Jets. Who else develops youth and gives them a go in the area like him?

DZ also a man of real integrity. Don’t believe he’ll be favouring Magic by taking/sending players to and from the Jets. He’ll be straight down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Spell Check View Post
    Understand DZ doesn’t work outside of football as looks after his kids, so would likely have capacity for both roles.

Great appointment for the Jets. Who else develops youth and gives them a go in the area like him?

DZ also a man of real integrity. Don’t believe he’ll be favouring Magic by taking/sending players to and from the Jets. He’ll be straight down the line.
    Hard to disagree, he has provided more kids with a chance than others in recent memory. I am really keen to see how areas like Weston and provincial hubs like Maitland can properly tap into growth demographics in years to come.

The very idea that Newy will have a team in the B League is laughable. We can barely sustain an A-League team let alone add another pro club to the region.

B League will be teams from Sydney and Melbourne, with Canberra and Wollongong in addition.

Magic and Jets collaborating on a B League team because DZ is now in charge on Jets Youth team is drawn with as long a bow as I’ve read on here in a while.
    This is working on the assumption that you think a top-flight club in the A-League is going to have 10k + supporters at every game - now THATS laughable.

The A-League is dying a slow, painful, and embarrassing death and its exclusion, inability to correctly market its product and absolute bore-fest for 90% of the meaningless games in its fixture means it hasn't captured the hearts of the actual football community.

The reason we can barely sustain an A-League team, just like many other markets in Australia, is not because the people aren't there, it's because 70+ % of the football community don't find it interesting, engaging, or fun. Franchised 'clubs' with no soul and no community connection, who cares.

Although, as far as I knew, it was Edgy that were the likely inclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by jessepinkman View Post
    This is working on the assumption that you think a top-flight club in the A-League is going to have 10k + supporters at every game - now THATS laughable.

The A-League is dying a slow, painful, and embarrassing death and its exclusion, inability to correctly market its product and absolute bore-fest for 90% of the meaningless games in its fixture means it hasn't captured the hearts of the actual football community.

The reason we can barely sustain an A-League team, just like many other markets in Australia, is not because the people aren't there, it's because 70+ % of the football community don't find it interesting, engaging, or fun. Franchised 'clubs' with no soul and no community connection, who cares.

Edgeworth were part of the 30 clubs who met up at an AAFC meeting recently regarding the NSD
    Jaliens gives me the horn

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    Edgeworth were part of the 30 clubs who met up at an AAFC meeting recently regarding the NSD
    For some reason I have Newcastle Olympic in my mind as well. I recall there was talk of this second tier as one of the reasons behind their name change.
    Could be wrong, but it seems an odd thing to be stuck in my head.

Broadmeadow Magic, is nowhere up to , becoming a team in the 2nd tier, there facility has deteriorated, along with the playing surface, imo
    all those shanty sheds, looks like christmas island detention centre. not sure what they are doing there, they must have been for free? terrible.
    Edgeworth Eagles facility is now the best, to showcase, however not sure what the back of house is like at the club to sustain the next step.

I wasn't making any assumptions at all. My eyes show me this town can't sustain an A League team so I can't see why adding another semi/professional team would make things any better.

Edgy were in the talks to join the second tier but there is no way the numbers stack up. Millsy is generous with the purse strings but not to the extent that he'll through millions of $$ at something so unsustainable.

I wasn't making any assumptions at all. My eyes show me this town can't sustain an A League team so I can't see why adding another semi/professional team would make things any better.

Edgy were in the talks to join the second tier but there is no way the numbers stack up. Millsy is generous with the purse strings but not to the extent that he'll through millions of $$ at something so unsustainable.
    Youve entirely missed my point though - as I said, we cant sustain an A League team here in Newcastle because the A League is boring, not competitive, and 90% of the games don't mean anything. 2nd Division and the threat of relegation makes it enjoyable.

Plenty have done the costings re a 2nd div and with minimal further sponsorship and minimal tv revenue, clubs will be able to afford it based on their current costings. You're basing it off the A League, which is unsustainable because it sucks and nobody cares about it in its current form.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    will likely be an interesting season all round watching from the outside to see how it all goes in the 13-18s, seniors probably next season onwards.
    fk oath.

Ill be having a look. Reckon we might have met our ceiling as far as staying with the big boys. Time will tell.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W8 WATCHER View Post
    Broadmeadow Magic, is nowhere up to , becoming a team in the 2nd tier, there facility has deteriorated, along with the playing surface, imo
    all those shanty sheds, looks like christmas island detention centre. not sure what they are doing there, they must have been for free? terrible.
    Edgeworth Eagles facility is now the best, to showcase, however not sure what the back of house is like at the club to sustain the next step.
    Tragic would put together a decent squad and fix up the ground in no time if this became an option. Elite Football mad those ****s

Says in paper cooks hill have lost 9 players to jaffas. Cooks hill really going to struggle next season unless Richo brings in some decent players as replacements. They already struggled for depth this season.

Isn’t there a points system with new signings on 10 points each ? How are there all going to fit ??

Quote Originally Posted by 2285 View Post
    Isn’t there a points system with new signings on 10 points each ? How are there all going to fit ??
    Article also says Jaffas are losing 6 players but yes the new signings would outway the players leaving. also says they should be getting Scott Petit back so that is another to add to the point system unless they kept him in theirs last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapevine View Post
    Says in paper cooks hill have lost 9 players to jaffas. Cooks hill really going to struggle next season unless Richo brings in some decent players as replacements. They already struggled for depth this season.
    Looks like Jaffas won't be promoting any youth from their 18s....again
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Looks like Jaffas won't be promoting any youth from their 18s....again
    Quality side too, but since most are still U18 they will probably stay in that comp next year.

Youve entirely missed my point though - as I said, we cant sustain an A League team here in Newcastle because the A League is boring, not competitive, and 90% of the games don't mean anything. 2nd Division and the threat of relegation makes it enjoyable.

Plenty have done the costings re a 2nd div and with minimal further sponsorship and minimal tv revenue, clubs will be able to afford it based on their current costings. You're basing it off the A League, which is unsustainable because it sucks and nobody cares about it in its current form.
    Do you genuinely believe that having a second division will change things in Newy? That the threat of relegation will mean that fans start flocking to games? That the current 6k attendances treble to numbers that actually see the club break even? I think you are very optimistic.

Yes, relegation means a much better comp and I am 100% behind it, but to think that will somehow lead to having two pro clubs in a relatively small area like the Hunter is dreaming. There were not enough fans to sustain two footy clubs when the Super League was around, and Newy will always be a footy town. We should think ourselves lucky to have one pro soccer club and back them. Dividing the local fan base when its already at a low seems like a no win situation for anyone.

Do you genuinely believe that having a second division will change things in Newy? That the threat of relegation will mean that fans start flocking to games? That the current 6k attendances treble to numbers that actually see the club break even? I think you are very optimistic.

Yes, relegation means a much better comp and I am 100% behind it, but to think that will somehow lead to having two pro clubs in a relatively small area like the Hunter is dreaming. There were not enough fans to sustain two footy clubs when the Super League was around, and Newy will always be a footy town. We should think ourselves lucky to have one pro soccer club and back them. Dividing the local fan base when it's already at a low seems like a no-win situation for anyone.
    I think the cream will rise to the top and anyone whos poorly administered and poorly supported will drop. Ultimately it's better for football as a whole, even if that means Newcastle doesn't have a first-division team - the fact that mediocrity (or not even that) is rewarded in the current setup has a lot to do with why we have to import players whos great grandad visited australia at some point in the past, and why 90% of the people you see at football fields around the city dont care about the A League. I dont agree with your point of 'we should be lucky to have one pro soccer club and back them' - why should I, you, or anyone else have to back a club if they don't feel an affinity or connection? The mens Jets do absolutely nothing to connect with the community beyond a few appearances at some presentation days. I just dont see why we should have to support them when - in every other country in the world - you support your community club and you ride the divisions with them along the way. If anything, I am anti- A leagues because I think the current setup actively works against football and the development of youth.

I don't think that a 2nd division is a silver bullet for Newcastle, to be honest, the only way to bring the whole football community together is to open the pyramid completely - at least this is a good first step to that. It also depends on your marker for success. IMO Australian football shouldn't be looking at 10k + crowds all over the country. 10k seater stadiums that are 60-80% full is where we should be at. If we're looking outside for comparison, Newy is probably a Sheffield or Bristol in this scenario. 2 pro clubs, the one that administers correctly is the one that sees success longer term. Theres room for success and failure in an open system - in a closed one? there's room for mediocrity for 90%, and a revolving 2-3 clubs who decide to have a dig every now and then.

Anyway, before an open system, a proper transfer system is required so clubs can be rewarded for their development efforts.