Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast

Thread: 2022 National Premier League thread

I might be mistaken,but arent the clubs who are gunning for a 2nd division spot like Marconi,Sth Melbourne and Wolves on a completely different level financially to anything we have here in Newcastle?I like the fact that our local clubs are striving for the absolute highest possible level but they seem to be a long long long way away from the next best 12/16 clubs in this country.A transfer system and genuine 2nd division with straight promotion/relegation is the only way to build the A-League from here.

Cookers have a new gaffa RZ he’s got international experience.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    I might be mistaken,but arent the clubs who are gunning for a 2nd division spot like Marconi,Sth Melbourne and Wolves on a completely different level financially to anything we have here in Newcastle?I like the fact that our local clubs are striving for the absolute highest possible level but they seem to be a long long long way away from the next best 12/16 clubs in this country.A transfer system and genuine 2nd division with straight promotion/relegation is the only way to build the A-League from here.
    I think we have a squad of quality players here mixed in with different clubs.

Those players that didnt take the next level for one reason or another but can handle the step up.

Ill let others name them.

Quote Originally Posted by Two tone View Post
    What, has Perth sacked Ruben Zadkovich

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
    No it’s CZ not RZ my mistake

Quote Originally Posted by jessepinkman View Post
    I think the cream will rise to the top and anyone whos poorly administered and poorly supported will drop. Ultimately it's better for football as a whole, even if that means Newcastle doesn't have a first-division team - the fact that mediocrity (or not even that) is rewarded in the current setup has a lot to do with why we have to import players whos great grandad visited australia at some point in the past, and why 90% of the people you see at football fields around the city dont care about the A League. I dont agree with your point of 'we should be lucky to have one pro soccer club and back them' - why should I, you, or anyone else have to back a club if they don't feel an affinity or connection? The mens Jets do absolutely nothing to connect with the community beyond a few appearances at some presentation days. I just dont see why we should have to support them when - in every other country in the world - you support your community club and you ride the divisions with them along the way. If anything, I am anti- A leagues because I think the current setup actively works against football and the development of youth.

I don't think that a 2nd division is a silver bullet for Newcastle, to be honest, the only way to bring the whole football community together is to open the pyramid completely - at least this is a good first step to that. It also depends on your marker for success. IMO Australian football shouldn't be looking at 10k + crowds all over the country. 10k seater stadiums that are 60-80% full is where we should be at. If we're looking outside for comparison, Newy is probably a Sheffield or Bristol in this scenario. 2 pro clubs, the one that administers correctly is the one that sees success longer term. Theres room for success and failure in an open system - in a closed one? there's room for mediocrity for 90%, and a revolving 2-3 clubs who decide to have a dig every now and then.

Anyway, before an open system, a proper transfer system is required so clubs can be rewarded for their development efforts.
    I think we are largely in agreement on a lot of things. I’m all for the second division and think it is desperately needed for a competitive professional league and more opportunities for young players to play a good level of soccer. I also don’t really care for the Jets as an entity, but my point is more around having two professional clubs in Newy. If it’s Edgy instead of the Jets, I’m in. If it’s Magic, Olympic, I’m in. But there is not room for two.

I’m not sure we should compare Newy to smaller English cities with two clubs. It’s apples and oranges. Soccer is the number one sport in England with other sports a very distant second. Soccer here is probably fourth on the list of codes and the money isn’t there to sustain more than one pro club in places like Newy. Look at Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth: they are nowhere near able to demand a second team. Newy is no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Spell Check View Post
    I think we are largely in agreement on a lot of things. I’m all for the second division and think it is desperately needed for a competitive professional league and more opportunities for young players to play a good level of soccer. I also don’t really care for the Jets as an entity, but my point is more around having two professional clubs in Newy. If it’s Edgy instead of the Jets, I’m in. If it’s Magic, Olympic, I’m in. But there is not room for two.

I’m not sure we should compare Newy to smaller English cities with two clubs. It’s apples and oranges. Soccer is the number one sport in England with other sports a very distant second. Soccer here is probably fourth on the list of codes and the money isn’t there to sustain more than one pro club in places like Newy. Look at Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth: they are nowhere near able to demand a second team. Newy is no different.
    Agree, we struggle with one team and look what happened when Adamstown (a club side) tried it and they were the only team from Newcastle at that time. For it to stand any chance, Just like the Jets it would require the whole football community of Newcastle to support a second team (club side) and I can’t see that happening. The local NPL clubs are supported by 95% die hard club people, I can’t see Maitland, Weston, Olympic etc people coming out to say support an Edgeworth or a Magic in the national second division. Question for consideration, if a second team from Newcastle got promoted, what would that do to the local football community ???

The Jets in a second division would be a better option, that way we could support a team playing for promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    Yes which is why it is an outside chance of any of the two Newcastle clubs to get in. Magic didn't even bother sending a representative to the last AAFC meeting, they probably know it will be difficult for them

Quote Originally Posted by Two tone View Post
    Good pickup for Cooks Hill and nice to see someone new not one on the local NPL head coach merry go round

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
    not yet,
    however all betting has been suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Good pickup for Cooks Hill and nice to see someone new not one on the local NPL head coach merry go round
    I was looking at an article from 12mths ago. Dave Tanchevski at Cooks Hill. Shirt in his hands. Developing Youth, bringing "experience" to guide them. Big future.....Zzzzzzz. 12 mths on its broom put through the Club. Youth structure a shambles with no 16s last year and other ages reeling whilst Jacob Pepper is $20k+ richer and off to Edgey for another pay day. Apparently loads of Jaffas Res team boys getting squeezed out for Cookers players following Tanchevski and they are approaching New Lambton but turned away. A coup at Rosebuds and Hartley out of Jaffas and now at Buds? Shane Pryce also? It will be an interesting year.

Quote Originally Posted by BBscone View Post
    I was looking at an article from 12mths ago. Dave Tanchevski at Cooks Hill. Shirt in his hands. Developing Youth, bringing "experience" to guide them. Big future.....Zzzzzzz. 12 mths on its broom put through the Club. Youth structure a shambles with no 16s last year and other ages reeling whilst Jacob Pepper is $20k+ richer and off to Edgey for another pay day. Apparently loads of Jaffas Res team boys getting squeezed out for Cookers players following Tanchevski and they are approaching New Lambton but turned away. A coup at Rosebuds and Hartley out of Jaffas and now at Buds? Shane Pryce also? It will be an interesting year.
    Very interesting.

Cooks Hill at least seem to be learning fast...appointing an A League Coach as TD and a Head Coach with runs on the board from coaching youth teams at the Olympics and Youth World cups. It would be tough to argue that's not heading in the right direction.

Hartley leaving Jaffas would be a big loss.

This happens every year, Jaffas go and sign 8 new players every year and the reserve graders don't get a look in and move onto other clubs.

Moved posts to youth thread, lets keep this on topic for Senior football please.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

I wouldn't say the broom has been put through the club, more like Tanch has ravaged the club

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I wouldn't say the broom has been put through the club, more like Tanch has ravaged the club
    Tanch or Gomez ????

Banned
    Both Virgili’s as well as few other promising acquisitions at day one of Redbacks pre-season. Shouldn’t be long till the might of the red backs are mixing it up with the best of the best in Npl.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryWand1 View Post
    Both Virgili’s as well as few other promising acquisitions at day one of Redbacks pre-season. Shouldn’t be long till the might of the red backs are mixing it up with the best of the best in Npl.
    Slow down mate

Zach Thomas from Maitland to Oakleigh

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Zach Thomas from Maitland to Oakleigh
    A big loss.