Cookers v Dudley off

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Myer drains well usually. That’s some rain

The home of the cats never washes out!!

Westlakes vs Mayfield
    Thirds 0-6
    Res 0-3
    1sts 0-3

Much better showing from all of us in all grades just when you donÂ’t take your chances and the opposition does then the scores will end up being like they were.

Quote Originally Posted by WWFC25 View Post
    The home of the cats never washes out!!

Westlakes vs Mayfield
    Thirds 0-6
    Res 0-3
    1sts 0-3

Much better showing from all of us in all grades just when you donÂ’t take your chances and the opposition does then the scores will end up being like they were.
    The seating at the field is brilliant and the field seemed to hold up pretty well. (It's been a few years since travelling out to watch/play at westlakes)

The first 10 to 15 minutes Westlakes seemed to be able to keep up with Mayfield but as the game progress Mayfield took control and didn't seem to get out of 1st or 2nd gear.

I hope Westlakes can build on the squad they have next year if they stay up as the jump from ZL1 to ZPL isn't easy.

Some clubs have 4/5 wash out games to make up. With more rain coming and mid week games fixtured for this week, what is the plan moving forward? Clubs won’t be able to train for weeks as they will be playing on Wednesday’s and Saturdays making up these games…

Quote Originally Posted by Kicktheball View Post
    Some clubs have 4/5 wash out games to make up. With more rain coming and mid week games fixtured for this week, what is the plan moving forward? Clubs won’t be able to train for weeks as they will be playing on Wednesday’s and Saturdays making up these games…
    4-5 games is a bit of a stretch. There's been 6 rounds so far and looks like Cardiff the worst off with 3 games played and 3 to make up. Others have 1-2.
    I don't think there's much to plan other than try to get games on and to schedule catch ups sooner rather than later to ensure the games don't bank up too much.
    It's football, not s***er!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUGUNS View Post
    The seating at the field is brilliant and the field seemed to hold up pretty well. (It's been a few years since travelling out to watch/play at westlakes)

The first 10 to 15 minutes Westlakes seemed to be able to keep up with Mayfield but as the game progress Mayfield took control and didn't seem to get out of 1st or 2nd gear.

I hope Westlakes can build on the squad they have next year if they stay up as the jump from ZL1 to ZPL isn't easy.
    The field is in the worst nick it's been in in a few years, but has been played on in the wet nearly every week so far, and still probably one of the better surfaces kicking around in zone league.
    Off the field the committee is ticking all the boxes.
    Sitting out the 2020 season due to covid as a club took a bit of a toll on our numbers and we have probably been doing it a bit tough since then.

Hopefully it is a case of build it and they will come - the ground, facilities, committee are all fantastic, we just need to bring it on the field to match.

In terms of the step up, Dudley put us to the sword last week short a few players, I was away Rd 1 so can't comment on the Kotara games, but we have felt competitive most other games.
    From memory of last season, there's probably 2 or 3 ZL1 teams who would compete well with the lower ZPL teams. But the top ZPL teams are definitely a level above.
    I've only been able to play two so far through injury, but it's been enjoyable. Bring on next week.

This rain is sticking around for another month off n on.

At some point clubs will be chopping up their grounds to get games played. It's just a matter of when.

I'd suggest the need for ground preservation is just about gone. The council shutting everything down is the other major problem.

Quote Originally Posted by samcan View Post
    This rain is sticking around for another month off n on.

At some point clubs will be chopping up their grounds to get games played. It's just a matter of when.

I'd suggest the need for ground preservation is just about gone. The council shutting everything down is the other major problem.
    The council in Lake mac do not shut down grounds, they leave it up the clubs, Newy council do the blanket shut downs.

Its not always about ground preservation, i think safety plays a big part in all of this also, if you have never had to call games off before its just not that simple.

We have 3 catch ups and each time games were called the thoughts were:
    1: to wet with puddles = 40/60 it could dry out hopefully, depends on future forecast.
    2: rip the ground up 50/50 wont be good later on, but that's life sometimes, give it a roll.
    3: slippery surface = this is the hardest one, seen to many broken and twisted parts over the years due to this one.

Bad example, remember playing a game at Cahill Oval. The pitch in the middle was an ice skating rink. Fine to walk on. But try changing direction or stopping. Horrendous.

I never really understood the “safety” aspect of calling off wet grounds, until you have a major injury.
    The wet and slippery stuff is okay. It’s the sticky mud, especially in combination with long studs many wear to counteract the “soft ground”. They definitely help with preventing slipping and improve grip. But instead of the weak point in any twisting/stopping being the the ground and studs, the weak point is often the ligaments. Especially if you’re not used to wearing longer studs.

The biggest difference I’ve noticed this year, is there’s a lot more cloudy/rain threatening days. There’s not many sunny or even windy days in between the rain to help it dry out. So the overall rainfall might be the same, or less, but the sunshine and wind is also much less.

Edit: oops, off topic rant cause I thought I was in the “are we being too precious” thread
    Last edited by Bremsstrahlung; 24-05-2022 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Bad example, remember playing a game at Cahill Oval. The pitch in the middle was an ice skating rink. Fine to walk on. But try changing direction or stopping. Horrendous.

I never really understood the “safety” aspect of calling off wet grounds, until you have a major injury.
    The wet and slippery stuff is okay. It’s the sticky mud, especially in combination with long studs many wear to counteract the “soft ground”. They definitely help with preventing slipping and improve grip. But instead of the weak point in any twisting/stopping being the the ground and studs, the weak point is often the ligaments. Especially if you’re not used to wearing longer studs.

The biggest difference I’ve noticed this year, is there’s a lot more cloudy/rain threatening days. There’s not many sunny or even windy days in between the rain to help it dry out. So the overall rainfall might be the same, or less, but the sunshine and wind is also much less.
    Ahhhh Cahill Oval, remember it well....

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post

Edit: oops, off topic rant cause I thought I was in the “are we being too precious” thread

Not to mention full grown adults coming in on each other at 100% intensity without any grip. It's a recipe for disaster. Uncontrolled collisions are more of the danger rather than slipping and twisting in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ExWhistleMan View Post
    Not to mention full grown adults coming in on each other at 100% intensity without any grip. It's a recipe for disaster. Uncontrolled collisions are more of the danger rather than slipping and twisting in my mind.
    So this ground is more dangerous than wet grounds. Yes Ive ice skated on Cahill.

Brem is spot on with potential injury in the wet. But, most injuries ive seen in wet or dry are the dkheads making stupid contact and nothing to do with weather.

If the ball can bounce, play, this means you Jardel

So this ground is more dangerous than wet grounds. Yes Ive ice skated on Cahill.

Brem is spot on with potential injury in the wet. But, most injuries ive seen in wet or dry are the dkheads making stupid contact and nothing to do with weather.

you know what, we have tried everything we can to play at Evans on both grounds, but when you walk across the field and you sink into the ground, we ain't playing on that surface.

So Samcan, where's your ground at?

I think the point is that when you look at injuries that don't involve oppostion, occur more often on wet, slippery and soft grounds rather than dry grounds. Some of the worst injuries I've witnessed over the years were on wet grounds with no other players involved.
    It's football, not s***er!!

How are all the grounds looking. Will we see football

Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    How are all the grounds looking. Will we see football
    lucky we are away

Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    lucky we are away
    How many days of sun will Evan’s park need to dry out