Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Zone League 1 thread

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
    Long drive back for the homophobic and abusive fans.
    Care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Eggs View Post
    How so? Some teams still have 6-8 games to catch up in 2 weeks. What are they supposed to do?
    If a team played Tue, Thurs , Sat this week I think it would clear up the top 4 and also it punishes the teams that organized and played mid week already

How so? Some teams still have 6-8 games to catch up in 2 weeks. What are they supposed to do?
    Maybe those teams should have looked to other venues to get their games played just like Wallsend and Olympic did on Saturday. Also some coaches refusing to play games in the hope the season got voided to avoid the drop

Care to elaborate?
    Norths fans were calling the opposition faggots and abusive the club referee any chance they got. 2 people on the Norths bench including their coach were sent from the field it was that bad.

Even had a 60 year old man next to me in the crowd abusing him and calling offsides that weÂ’re clearly onside. A couple of Norths players went at the referee after the game too. Poor form

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
    Norths fans were calling the opposition faggots and abusive the club referee any chance they got. 2 people on the Norths bench including their coach were sent from the field it was that bad.

Even had a 60 year old man next to me in the crowd abusing him and calling offsides that weÂ’re clearly onside. A couple of Norths players went at the referee after the game too. Poor form
    That's pretty poor. We'd get nowhere without club refs

Volunteer Refs deserve much more respect

Quote Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
    Also some coaches refusing to play games in the hope the season got voided to avoid the drop
    Speaking of Merewether, how did they go last night against Wallsend?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer7654 View Post
    Lakes vs Norths
    1sts 2-1
    Res 0-2
    3rds 0-0
    wow... another upset... with us beating olympic on the weekend, how does this result affect the race for the premiership? I was chatting with a couple of their boys and they indicated that they only needed a couple of points to wrap it up so with this loss, im guessin thats it?

Quote Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
    Maybe those teams should have looked to other venues to get their games played just like Wallsend and Olympic did on Saturday. Also some coaches refusing to play games in the hope the season got voided to avoid the drop
    totally agree...

Speaking of Merewether, how did they go last night against Wallsend?
    1-1 in both grades. Thirds tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbery View Post
    1-1 in both grades. Thirds tonight.
    Wow Wallsend go from beating top to drawing with bottom makes me wonder as to what happened in both games

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Lesnar View Post
    Volunteer Refs deserve much more respect
    All referees deserve much more respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond019 View Post
    All referees deserve much more respect.
    100%. No difference between a clubbie and an official ref except the official refs dedicate their time to attend seminars, coaching and training sessions, as well as week in week out. Most ZL refs have to do three games each day, every week. Imagine players doing that week in, week out!
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Uni v Nelson Bay
    Firsts 2-3
    Reserves 7-0
    Thirds 0-2

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    100%. No difference between a clubbie and an official ref except the official refs dedicate their time to attend seminars, coaching and training sessions, as well as week in week out. Most ZL refs have to do three games each day, every week. Imagine players doing that week in, week out!
    Problems come from the top imo. Any kid, parent, coach or anything watching EPL or even A League games on TV. See a decision made around the box or a penalty or anything, get surrounded by a group of players yelling, gesticulating, touching the ref. You see Klopp on the sidelines going crazy at bloody throw in decisions let alone big moments, Guardiola remonstrating and dancing around. What happens? Nothing, in most instances.

Referees See this too, and sadly think some degree of this is normal. When I was involved I was definitely pretty lenient with some of the dissent received. I thought it was petty to give yellows, and I thought it was a sign of weakness that I couldn't handle the pressure of being a referee if I was giving out yellows for people having a go at me and my decisions. This was also developed by working with senior refs in my first few years that basically chucked some ear plugs in pre game and didn’t respond to any of the things being said to them.

Compare it to Rugby or Rugby League. Players are sin binned and suspended for calling the ref a cheat in a very casual manner. Everyone is usually very respectful of the referee and question decisions appropriately. “Sir, …..”. They are also incredibly accepting of decisions and bad/wrong decisions.

Even though it comes from the top. Change can be made from the bottom.
    Some Sydney comps basically do whatever they want with rules, in order to address issues. Yellow card 5 min sin bin for dissent, team plays a man down for 5. Forced substitution for the rest of the half. 3+ dissent yellows in a game results in loss of comp points. 3 strike player yellows for dissent over season. 5+ yellows for dissent for the team over the season results in points deduction. Fighting automatic 5 week suspension.

I think as a whole, there should be multiple memos sent to clubs. This season there will be a crackdown on dissent. Enforce it liberally in preseason games to set a tone for what’s acceptable. Then referees need to feel empowered and supported to punish dissent. With universal support and transparency with clubs, I don’t think anyone can argue. The rules are there to promote respect.

I’d love to see assessor’s act in a 4th official capacity to be able to sanction coaches and provide additional support to referees in those matches.

The biggest thing impact all of these dream actions is numbers. Nobody wants to stick around long term to spent your whole weekend running around getting abused. It wears thin pretty quick. If you worked your job and constantly got spoken to like referees do, you’d be quitting pretty soon.
    If the attitude towards referees can be improved, it becomes more attractive role, more referees stay, more join, more coverage for games and allows the ability to put better referees on appropriate games. Win win for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by WeekendWarrior View Post
    Wow Wallsend go from beating top to drawing with bottom makes me wonder as to what happened in both games
    Olympic had a player sent off in the second half at 1-1, were never getting back in to the game after that. Wallsend played well and deserved the three points

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Some Sydney comps basically do whatever they want with rules, in order to address issues. Yellow card 5 min sin bin for dissent, team plays a man down for 5. Forced substitution for the rest of the half. 3+ dissent yellows in a game results in loss of comp points. 3 strike player yellows for dissent over season. 5+ yellows for dissent for the team over the season results in points deduction. Fighting automatic 5 week suspension.
    I agree we need to make improvements to the game here all too often are 2s and 3s without referees. My only concern from this approach is from experience in other comps. Seen referees with power trips card / sin bin anyone who even opens their mouth. I remember a perfect example where 2 attackers on my team scored from a quick long ball counter attack but denied through an offside call and one asked "was it me or him who was off" ref instantly sin binned. He hadn't yelled or swore or dissent and up until that point no one had a run in with the ref. Many other examples during that season. So if it went down that path good standards need to be set so short fuses don't end with a team being hit with out of the blue punishments.

New Lambton v Minmi:
    3rds: 1-1

1st/Res tonight

Congratulations to olympic wrapping it up. Anyone know if they’ll be going up

They will most certainly, and Swansea will come down

New Lambton v Minmi:
    1st Grade: 2-0 Minmi
    Res Grade: 3-0 Minmi