Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Women's Premier League thread

Adamstown 9-0 over middies - more that I thought it would be..

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    So Maitland beats Charly 3-2 ( well tipped Wild Thang)
    But did anyone watch it? One Charly player in the early part of the first half had a good handful of shirt and actually looked more like a rugby league tackle, the ref and linesman both agreed it was a red card but couldn’t work out who to give it to. So after the ref walked around for a good minute or two trying to get a player to own up he then decides to run over to the Charly bench and send the coach off because he couldn’t pick a player. Has anyone seen this before should it not be possibly the captain ( who incidentally enough on replay was the offender) because how do Maitland not get a player advantage from that situation??
    Haven't seen it happen before but pretty sure it is permitted. You would think they would just give it to a player and then Charlestown can appeal showing the card is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by late_to_the_game View Post
    I spotted min of 4 normal res team players on for NL, 2 who played about a 1/2 in reserves.
    NL victims of Covid absences or just absences in general? I know they have GK injuries as well...
    Can't ever remember a higher score in the WPL & can't ever remember 2 such large blow outs both in the one round.
    Maybe you need to step up and help out NL, with -27 goal difference after only 3 games they unfortunately are in for a hell of a long season.

While running Merewether WPL, the situation NL find themselves in now used to haunt my dreams. I was always worried that when Cass left (at some point) most of the team would too (none were being paid). I will be forever grateful to the senior players who stuck around until the transition to Azzurri.
    NL have good people involved, it will turn around, but it will take time.

With a couple of results on the weekend is there a big enough talent pool to have this many teams in the WPL ? Unless Coehlo and Brewer make a massive difference to Middies I don’t see them or NL getting point unless it’s against each other and it’s sad to see because hopefully they don’t cop massive results like that because that’s how you lose players from the sport I wouldn’t like losing by double figures and I don’t see it getting easier for NL sadly they need help big time.

Quote Originally Posted by late_to_the_game View Post
    I spotted min of 4 normal res team players on for NL, 2 who played about a 1/2 in reserves.
    NL victims of Covid absences or just absences in general? I know they have GK injuries as well...
    Their goalkeeping issues are a big worry. I’m hoping the GK injury you speak of is their usual 1st grade keeper and she is close to coming back because unfortunately their current one is just not up to it and the girl who played the second half against Olympic on the weekend is 15 who generally plays in the 17’s and isn’t a stand out keeper in that age group to push for a senior spot.

Quote Originally Posted by 2285 View Post
    Olympic 16-1 winners …..wow
    Interesting Libby Copos Brown playing for Olympic
    That flew under the radar.

What happened to NL? Seems all the success is with the boys at the club so who cares how the girls go?

Quote Originally Posted by SAPDADDY View Post
    Interesting Libby Copos Brown playing for Olympic
    That flew under the radar.

What happened to NL? Seems all the success is with the boys at the club so who cares how the girls go?
    Have heard Libby is only there for a short stint to kill time whilst she sorts out a deal abroad!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Thang View Post
    With a couple of results on the weekend is there a big enough talent pool to have this many teams in the WPL ?
    No. not even close

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Never has been, used to be 8 and there were one or two teams across all grades getting flogged. This stopped when Valentine pulled out and the competition was a bit more stronger. If Northern wanted to get back to 8 they should've looked further afield. Could we have gotten Nelson Bay in to do a team. What about talking to a club on the Central Coast? Few girls in North Coast playing NPL, are there enough girls for a WPL team up there and drop a weaker Newcastle team where there isn't the depth of girls.
    Should 100% have a central coast team the amount of quality players that come here and play every week could fill a very good side
    Also why are the Jets still playing in Sydney they get flogged every second week if not every week I don’t think they won to many NPLW games last season if any

Should 100% have a central coast team the amount of quality players that come here and play every week could fill a very good side
    Also why are the Jets still playing in Sydney they get flogged every second week if not every week I don’t think they won to many NPLW games last season if any
    The only thing that stopped the Jets from being relegated to the second division last year was covid, they were dead last. And this year won’t be much better after majority of the senior team has left ( I believe to go to the new Central Coast team eyeing up entry to the comp next year). And add to that the Jets even tho they haven’t announced anything will not be entering a team for the U/16’s comp because the majority of the players for that team also left. There are clearly major issues that need fixing in the program and Until it is taken seriously they should return to the local competition.

The results at the moment are down to the fact that there is no depth in quality in 1st grade to justify more than 6 teams tops. Simple. The better players gravitate to the same couple of Clubs and the others are cast offs or too young and inexperienced. Rosebuds have done it well development wise but it took a few years and a junior club to give it real focus vs a couple of the other programs that get dropped into NPL Clubs as a means of political point grabbing. Let's be honest. Warners Bay are a community club but unlike Rosebuds they have opened the purse strings. Bold move but it won't last. NL did that a few years ago and none remained once they won a trophy and the cash dried up. Overall better quality will come but it takes time. NL seem to have a solid 15s? There's the base, build from there. The rest are unfortunately in for a very difficult year caused purely by a supply and demand issue. There is no supply to justify the demand. If the powers that be are serious about 10 teams, they should embrace what Rosebuds have been doing, look to limit where players of certain quality can go and spread the quality via a points system. Or sit back and watch cricket scores every week.

Quote Originally Posted by BBscone View Post
    There is no supply to justify the demand. If the powers that be are serious about 10 teams, they should embrace what Rosebuds have been doing, look to limit where players of certain quality can go and spread the quality via a points system. Or sit back and watch cricket scores every week.
    Is there any sort of cap or points system in place for the womens NPL at the moment?

Jets Womens Results over the weekend
    1st 2-0 Loss
    Res 6-2 Loss
    U18 6-0 Loss
    U15 8-0 Loss
    U14 2-1 Loss

3 goals for 24 against
    You can’t tell me the best womens players in the region are at the jets what a joke they should just play in the local comp NEWCASTLE Jets embarrassing results

Jets Womens Results over the weekend
    1st 2-0 Loss
    Res 6-2 Loss
    U18 6-0 Loss
    U15 8-0 Loss
    U14 2-1 Loss

3 goals for 24 against
    You can’t tell me the best womens players in the region are at the jets what a joke they should just play in the local comp NEWCASTLE Jets embarrassing results
    It was tough watching that’s for sure. Have heard Pappas is not happy at all with the set up and production of the youth Systems. And is making changes some where mentioned in the youth boys chat I think it was that Mcbreen and Deans are gone/ going and sounds very much like Kew could be going too, so Pappas can bring in his own youth TD and all coaches fall o to line with him. Hopefully that has an impact on the girls side because clearly there are things going really wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BBscone View Post
    The results at the moment are down to the fact that there is no depth in quality in 1st grade to justify more than 6 teams tops. Simple. The better players gravitate to the same couple of Clubs and the others are cast offs or too young and inexperienced. Rosebuds have done it well development wise but it took a few years and a junior club to give it real focus vs a couple of the other programs that get dropped into NPL Clubs as a means of political point grabbing. Let's be honest. Warners Bay are a community club but unlike Rosebuds they have opened the purse strings. Bold move but it won't last. NL did that a few years ago and none remained once they won a trophy and the cash dried up. Overall better quality will come but it takes time. NL seem to have a solid 15s? There's the base, build from there. The rest are unfortunately in for a very difficult year caused purely by a supply and demand issue. There is no supply to justify the demand. If the powers that be are serious about 10 teams, they should embrace what Rosebuds have been doing, look to limit where players of certain quality can go and spread the quality via a points system. Or sit back and watch cricket scores every week.
    New Lambton's demise had nothing to do with money, their unparalleled success of 2019 didn't sit particularly well with one committee member and was doomed from that point.

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Hopefully that has an impact on the girls side because clearly there are things going really wrong with it.
    couldn't agree more, they have some serious work to do when it comes to this side of the program. i know a few talented of Girls in the JDL and 13s NPLW program across a few clubs that consider a move to the Jets at this point in time a step backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by sideline88 View Post
    couldn't agree more, they have some serious work to do when it comes to this side of the program. i know a few talented of Girls in the JDL and 13s NPLW program across a few clubs that consider a move to the Jets at this point in time a step backwards.
    I can definitely see why they think that, I have the luxury of seeing both the NPLW comp as I coach in it and my daughter plays in the Jets system. And honestly there are plenty of girls not in the jetÂ’s system who should be!! For the extra cost and travel involved to be in the jets the benefits are not that great.

Well they aren't the best. There are a couple clubs where the clubs actively discourage their players to accept any offer from the Jets and will talk down the academy. They don't even want them going to TSP when selected.
    for the Girls TSP 100% the players involved are not the best of the best, they were literally the pick of who put the hand up to trial with every player selected. from the sessions of Phase 1 of the girls TSP that i was able to watch i can fully understand why Clubs are discouraging players from attending

If girls don't show up and clubs discourage it means the quality is lessened, which may then justify clubs to say not go, but the actions of some clubs self-fulfils their prophecy
    yes i agree the quality of the players affects the quality of the session to a degree, but Northern/Jets still need to provide a high quality session/program that meets if not exceeds the quality of sessions being provided by clubs. until it does player numbers and quality of players will continue to decline.