Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 All Age/Over 35s/pub league thread

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    apparently the former NPL player for Kurri isn't in that team anymore

We're in C this season - which isn't the best given we're down a few good players

our other team, which we swap being the top one year on year, is up in B grade - up from D last season

and being in a seven team comp is a bit shit too

We've lost quite a few at Kurri but have still moved to B. By all accounts B is a mix of teams from last year's B C and D grades. Seems outrageous that Kotara South have gone to A

Yep we’ve apparently been told by NF that they needed numbers for A grade and we were the unlucky ones that got picked to bring it to 8 teams. If 8 teams is so important to them I’m tempted to go for the nuclear option and say we’ll withdraw the team from the comp, see if they blink…..

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    apparently the former NPL player for Kurri isn't in that team anymore

We're in C this season - which isn't the best given we're down a few good players

our other team, which we swap being the top one year on year, is up in B grade - up from D last season

and being in a seven team comp is a bit shit too
    Who has 7 teams?

From what I have seen: (brackets if changed from last year)

A - Norths (B), Swansea 1's, Kahibah 1's (B), Valentine 1's, Mayfield Snrs 1's, Wallsend 1's (B), Kotara South (C), Stockton 1's
    B - Kurri 1's (C), Tenambit 1's (D), Dudley 1's, Swansea 2's, Valentine 2's, Cooker 1's (D based on Boz's info), Newcastle Suns (New), New Lambton (D)
    C - Greta 1's (F), Cardiff City 1's (B), Charlestown (D), Dudley 2's, Toronto 1's, Valentine 3's, Cookers 2's, Nelson Bay 1's (D).

A grade lost Hamilton Azzurri & Newcastle Olympic from a 6 team comp so were stuck with having to bring up more teams

But some of the changes are strange.

Kotata promoted past Toronto and Kurri
    Toronto stays put in C
    Cooks Hill going to B (regardless of the team swap)
    Greta having a big jump

Why none of Maitland Jr's 5x teams having taken a big step up is beyond me.
    Their F grade team last year had a goal difference of 89 and they ended up in D ??
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Last year only 6 clubs nominated c grade or above. I imagine this year wasn’t much different. I’ve played teams in D grade that were just as good as ones I’ve played in A grade

Everyone prefers a season winning than a season of losing.

Swings and roundabouts, you’d hope.

The problem is that they don't necessarily look at what players are still in a team even where the finished the year before.

They do look at where clubs are asking to be graded. So the Kotara team that got pushed up to A may have asked to go in C and all other teams in there may have said D so their thinking is put the team that ranked themselves highest and wanted to be in the higher grade into a higher grade even if it isn't where they wanted to be.

There is also the comments option to put your case forward about what grade you should be in and why. If you don't do that or isn't convincing enough then it doesn't happen. Perhaps for next year speak to your registrar about what information they are submitting to the club to ensure if gives you the best possible chance of being put in a grade that you want to be put in

Yep this - for O/35s it seems they only look at the grades the club nominates and nothing else. It means clubs are nominating low knowing they'll be placed several grades above what they nominate. if you nominate where you think you should be (e.g. C grade), you'll end up in A grade.

We nominated D grade this year. if you exclude Kurri, Dudley and Stockton from last year the rest of us were pretty evenly matched, so if the season had completed we could have finished anywhere from 2nd to 6th, we lost 2 a players to retirement and replaced them with guys who haven’t played for a couple of years, and we’re all a year older so D seemed right, but we probably wouldn’t have embarrassed ourselves in C again. At least in A grade the travels not too bad, other than Lorn it’s all pretty close

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    Who has 7 teams?
    sorry it looks like there was an error in the spreadsheet sent out by this new jerk who's taken over from me in running All Age and 35s this season - so hard to find good help these days @2ndclasscitizen

I was mistaken, we have eight in our comp - looks like a few from the same grade last season, Dudley, Toronto, Valentine and us - who were all pretty evenly matched

so in hindsight it's not that bad a grading this season

sorry it looks like there was an error in the spreadsheet sent out by this new jerk who's taken over from me in running All Age and 35s this season - so hard to find good help these days @2ndclasscitizen

I was mistaken, we have eight in our comp - looks like a few from the same grade last season, Dudley, Toronto, Valentine and us - who were all pretty evenly matched

so in hindsight it's not that bad a grading this season
    You're right on all counts actually. The spreadsheet is wrong, there's 7 teams in div C and you can't get good help: https://imgur.com/a/t4mVMKB

I'm angry people. Gradings are a farce. We finished with 2 wins 2 draws and -29 goal difference and we go from C to B. WTF?
    Kurri finished with 12 wins, 2 draws and +38 goal difference and they went from C to B. How the hell do they think putting us up is even remotely close to the right grading?
    We should have gone to E. The team average age is 50+ now and it's just no fun at all playing to get flogged every week.
    $440 for another year of hell.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tenschooners View Post
    Yep this - for O/35s it seems they only look at the grades the club nominates and nothing else. It means clubs are nominating low knowing they'll be placed several grades above what they nominate. if you nominate where you think you should be (e.g. C grade), you'll end up in A grade.
    Id like to see the nomination sheet. You can see who is playing the system

Quote Originally Posted by Charman View Post
    I'm angry people. Gradings are a farce. We finished with 2 wins 2 draws and -29 goal difference and we go from C to B. WTF?
    Kurri finished with 12 wins, 2 draws and +38 goal difference and they went from C to B. How the hell do they think putting us up is even remotely close to the right grading?
    We should have gone to E. The team average age is 50+ now and it's just no fun at all playing to get flogged every week.
    Maybe just retire and go back to coaching. You don't need to worry about grades or your mates on the west side of the lake then😂

Russell Henry has emailed clubs re-stating the grading process and also asking clubs to stop individual players from contacting them directly

so I'm guessing a lot of folks aren't happy this year

Have you got an updated list? I thought Dudley 2's were staying in C?
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by anfield View Post
    Maybe just retire and go back to coaching. You don't need to worry about grades or your mates on the west side of the lake then��
    yeah, retirement is probably getting closer maybe when I'm 60.

Russell Henry has emailed clubs re-stating the grading process and also asking clubs to stop individual players from contacting them directly

so I'm guessing a lot of folks aren't happy this year
    Very ****ing unhappy. We even asked to go up a grade from the original into a comp with a bye and got knocked back. Now stuck in this comp with a lot of unhappy travellers:

Do you know what was put down when the team was submitted? Your club might have just nominated you for C without any explanation. Certainly for next year I'd be speaking to your registrar about being put in F and explaining ages, past results etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    why would you want to go into a comp with a bye??? less games for your money...now i see it, farkin Scone, they have 3 sides better off being a ZL teams
    I read it as, they offered to go up and take the place of the bye. Meaning no bye in that comp.