Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 All Age/Over 35s/pub league thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    I read it as, they offered to go up and take the place of the bye. Meaning no bye in that comp.
    yeh misread it, post gone....
    Last edited by Jardelsimage; 24-03-2022 at 02:27 PM.

Does anyone have the grading spreadsheet for this year? Trying to sneep my peepers

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    what grade are you after?

Unsure of what grade, after Shortland though

I'll assume you're talking about All Age men

Div.
    J
    Largs 3/3
    Scone 3/3
    Dudley Juniors 1/1
    Cardiff City 2/2
    Charlestown 2/2
    South Wallsend 2/3
    Maryland Fletcher 3/3
    Shortland 1/2

Div.
    K
    Dungog 1/1
    Gresford 2/2
    Maitland 1/1
    Metford 1/1
    Fletcher 2/2
    Raymond Terrace 1/1
    South Wallsend 3/3
    Shortland 2/2

Scone is a nightmare to have in a comp, they're guaranteed a finals place because half the games they have at home will be forfeited.

It's also a nightmare getting them early on. It's probably an unpopular opinion but I think the first 3 or 4 rounds should be away games for them. They'll make it up on the back end but it might limit some of the forfeits early on.

Last year we got the draw a week before the season and had Scone week 2. Between working commitments and parenting commitments we couldn't even form a team due to how far away and late the game was. If we had more notice we'd have happily gone up there though, probably even stayed the night and boost the community with beer money. But a fortnight is just too little time to organise.

I guess an alternative would be to get results draw out earlier than a week before the season starts.

Ah fck I think J is my comp. Might have to hire a minibus for the Scone trip.

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    Ah fck I think J is my comp. Might have to hire a minibus for the Scone trip.
    Who do you play for Evolution? My team is the charlestown team in J. First season at Charlestown though, we've been at south Cardiff the few years previous.

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonmcqueen View Post
    Who do you play for Evolution? My team is the charlestown team in J. First season at Charlestown though, we've been at south Cardiff the few years previous.
    Cardiff City

Scone is a nightmare to have in a comp, they're guaranteed a finals place because half the games they have at home will be forfeited.

It's also a nightmare getting them early on. It's probably an unpopular opinion but I think the first 3 or 4 rounds should be away games for them. They'll make it up on the back end but it might limit some of the forfeits early on.

Last year we got the draw a week before the season and had Scone week 2. Between working commitments and parenting commitments we couldn't even form a team due to how far away and late the game was. If we had more notice we'd have happily gone up there though, probably even stayed the night and boost the community with beer money. But a fortnight is just too little time to organise.

I guess an alternative would be to get results draw out earlier than a week before the season starts.
    I’ll make sure we have a box of Kleenex ready for you if you don’t forfeit.

Our zone league squad had Muswellbrook in our division last year. Scone is another 20 minutes up the highway, so it's a greater challenge.
    For mine, teams need to embrace the challenge of taking on these teams away.
    Our team had to play Muswellbrook away twice, including a midweek catch-up game with reserves at 6.30 and first grade at 8 ( more like 8.10). This was extremely tough, especially as we only had 17 for both grades despite having 20 available the day before the game. What was disappointing for me was the 2 or so players that made themselves unavailable for no real reason at all. This would happen in most teams.

I think the key thing is to remember is that Scone has to do the long trips every 2nd game.

I get the away proposal for the first 3-4 games, but is that fair? Teams could turn around a forfeit to them at the end of the season if they can't make the finals. Character building I reckon

My team wanted to embrace it. When we saw the grading spreadsheet we were pumped for a weekend away. Two weeks is just too little notice to make it possible. Hence my suggestion of either getting the draw out earlier or making the first three games (which is potentially only one extra game) away games.

We also noticed last time that the teams that didn't have a chance of making the finals forfeited at the end of the season too. Just doesn't seem too fair on Scone either, they pay their (possibly exuberant costs) like the rest of us do. Why not put them in K instead of J so they're playing predominantly Hunter Valley teams that are less likely to forfeit so they actually get some more bang for their buck.

@mge61 that's really sweet of you 🥰

So just clarifying here, it's really hard for your team to travel there just the one time in Rd 2, but you're OK with them travelling the first 3 or 4 games?

Scone teams go into the comp, and life in general, knowing that they're two hours away from the rest of the world

other teams don't have the logistics set up already and it's a bit of a challenge to ask people to add an extra four hours to their Saturday recreation time when they've got other commitments, particularly kids

there should be a separate competition for the Upper Hunter, that way everyone reduces travel times

for teams down at the southern end, they'd be better off playing in Sydney than travelling to Scone (note that they can't play against Central Coast teams, who aren't in the FFA and are also probably nazi pedoes, or even worse Mariners fans)

Some how I accidentally deleted my response when I tried to edit it, but essentially, yes that is 100% what I'm saying.

The issue isn't with the travelling itself so much as the logistics of being able to organise life (work, babysitting, etc.) Around it on such short notice.

From my perspective, I think it would be easier to organise playing Scone, Muswellbrook and Dungog away for the first 3 rounds if I knew that's what was happening from February when we sign up, then it is to organise one game out to Scone with only 2 weeks notice.

As such, I think if you made Scone play the first 3 games away (really only 1 extra away game) every season, then as soon as they signed their team up they could start organising appropriately. This potentially helps to limit forfeits against them too, which if I was in Scone and paying $30/game (assume their rego is similar to ours) I'd want to minimise forfeits too.

Alternatively, the associations could get the draw out say 3 or 4 weeks before the comp starts instead of 1 and then everyone would have a greater ability to plan ahead, but I'm sure if it was that simple, the associations would already be doing that.

For what it's worth, I work a 9-5, getting up to Scone week 2 isn't actually an issue for me, but as a team, we had 9 who couldn't free themselves up for 4hrs of travel for a 3pm game on 2 weeks notice. And it wasn't a case of them just being too far away and planning on forfeiting any game up there, we were legitimately looking forward to a boys weekend away, 2 weeks notice was just logistically impossible for us to facilitate.

your original post (can't restore it for some reason):
    100% because the issue (for most people in my team) with being able to travel there is not knowing you need to travel there. There's simply not enough notice. However, if it was a standing arrangement that they were travelling for the first 3 weeks (instead of 2 of the first 3 weeks) they (scone) could plan ahead every year, organise work, babysitting, etc months ahead of time.

For example, if I knew my team were playing Dungog, Muswellbrook and Scone all away in the first 3 weeks, but I knew from February that that would be the case, that would be a lot easier to coordinate and field a full team for than it would be for me to coordinate one away game in Scone with only 2 weeks notice.
    and yes we're saying the same thing, we basically typed at the same time so I hadn't seen your post when writing mine

Scone and Muswellbrook teams pay their rego and should be looked after just as much as any other club if not more. These guys travel every second week one and a half to two hours down to Newcastle/Lake Macquarie and people want to complain about travelling that long once a season. Get over yourselves!
    Where's the empathy for clubs like Scone, they've paid their money for a full season and yet when teams forfeit out of ignorance towards the end of the season because they can't make the semis and couldn't be bothered to make the trip, they don't get their full complement of matches paid for. NNSW Community Football is not just in Newcastle and Lake Macquarie!

Empathy doesn't get teams in cars heading up the Expressway, practical solutions do. If Upper Hunter clubs want to play against Newy and Lake Mac clubs then there needs to be some thought about the realities of life, namely that in All Age and O35s football is something that can really quickly get pushed down the list of priorities. Happy wife and kids vs taking a possible 7hrs out of your day to play mid grade footy in Scone with minimal notice at the start of the season? That's a quick decision for most blokes.

Scone have 3 grades, play Zone. Those comps will be at least a bit more committed and much less likely to forfeit.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Empathy doesn't get teams in cars heading up the Expressway, practical solutions do. If Upper Hunter clubs want to play against Newy and Lake Mac clubs then there needs to be some thought about the realities of life, namely that in All Age and O35s football is something that can really quickly get pushed down the list of priorities. Happy wife and kids vs taking a possible 7hrs out of your day to play mid grade footy in Scone with minimal notice at the start of the season? That's a quick decision for most blokes.

Scone have 3 grades, play Zone. Those comps will be at least a bit more committed and much less likely to forfeit.
    Where do you define Upper Hunter? Singleton? But then they’re Greta’s second closest club, cut off Greta, then that’s Lochinvar’s second closest club, and so on. And then do those clubs have enough players for each grade, or will you have u/12s playing against u/16s, and will those comps be somewhat balanced, or will you have 4 a grade sides against 4 j grade? But then if its okay for juniors to play across the region, why not all age? I’ll also note that you’re apparently in cooks hill which is literally one of the furthest clubs from Scone in the region, if you’re out in the suburbs or Maitland, it’s not that bad.

As for Scone joining ZL, that’s a much higher level of commitment for everyone up there, plus more expensive. Just seems like a lot of sour grapes because you get inconvenienced once, or maybe twice a season, but you’re more than happy to inconvenience them.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Last time I looked it was a combined competition from 3 associations not just Newcastle and Lake Mac. If you’re defining Hunter Valley as Scone/Muswellbrook better have another look.