Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Premier Youth League

https://www.northernnswfootball.com....p%20030723.pdf

I think West Wallsend with their 96 pts deserve a crack at the 2nd tier than cookers with their 24 pts.

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    https://www.northernnswfootball.com....p%20030723.pdf

I think West Wallsend with their 96 pts deserve a crack at the 2nd tier than cookers with their 24 pts.
    how do you even get there? If WW were in NPL they'd probably have 24 points as well. It is not a like for like competition.

Don’t disagree. But I guess there will always be a club that “just misses”.

Unless last place from tier 1 phase 1 goes into tier 3 in phase 2. And allow 3 teams to jump into phase 2 tier 2.

But then what do you do if last and second last are close? Or if 3rd is way behind. Think the current system is a good compromise.

What happens next year? 23 team (hopefully more)
    Is there still phase one with 14 teams, or do we go to 12/12 or 8/8/8?

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    I havent seen any of West Wallsends football so its not a criticism of them,but top to bottom Cooks Hill is nowhere near the worst youth club in NPL.From what my club has been told 2024 will start again with 12 and 12 (if they can fill the last 2 spots in youth).If not it will be 12 and 10.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    I havent seen any of West Wallsends football so its not a criticism of them,but top to bottom Cooks Hill is nowhere near the worst youth club in NPL.From what my club has been told 2024 will start again with 12 and 12 (if they can fill the last 2 spots in youth).If not it will be 12 and 10.
    If not Cooks Hill then who is?

It wasn't too long ago that people were saying Cooks Hill and New Lambton were better teams than Adamstown, Lakes, Azzurri, Valo, etc. Results are showing that the leap is not easy to take on a weekly basis.

I like the structure of the new competition. Personally I would stick with 8/8/8 or 8/8/6 as opposed to the 12/12 with a midseason split, but I think there is at least the opportunity there for a team that starts off in PYL2 to promote to PYLB mid season and then PYL1 if they can win PYLB club championship.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post

It wasn't too long ago that people were saying Cooks Hill and New Lambton were better teams than Adamstown, Lakes, Azzurri, Valo, etc. Results are showing that the leap is not easy to take on a weekly basis.

I like the structure of the new competition. Personally I would stick with 8/8/8 or 8/8/6 as opposed to the 12/12 with a midseason split, but I think there is at least the opportunity there for a team that starts off in PYL2 to promote to PYLB mid season and then PYL1 if they can win PYLB club championship.
    The reality is the leap between the current divisions in massive. Not just in ability but approach.

Cooks Hill have A League Coach Craig Deans and NL have Ex Socceroo Clayon Zane, both running development programs that include 3 times a week training. These approaches will pay off in the long term, as more parents see that they are much better environments for their kids despite the current results.

Does anyone have any insight into who the TDs is Belswans/Southy? I saw Southy advertised for the roles this week?

If we look at only 2023 results, you can already see the chasm between NPL and NL1. CH and NL were both placed in the 2nd tier for the preseason cup and the youth knock out cup.

Between the two clubs they have only lost 2 games. CH lost in u18s to Belswans and in u16s to New Lambton. The results are as follows:
    CH
    Age Played W D Loss GD
    u13s 5 4 1 0 +20
    u14s 5 4 1 0 +23
    u15s 4 3 1 0 +9
    u16s 4 3 0 1 +7
    u18s 4 3 0 1 +5

NL
    Age Played W D Loss GD
    u13s 4 3 1 0 +28
    u14s 4 3 2 0 +17
    u15s 4 3 1 0 +15
    u16s 4 4 0 0 +13
    u18s 4 4 0 0 +11

Head to head between Belswans, NL, CH and Southy

CH vs Southy (All Ages)
    Played CH Wins Draws Southy Wins GD
    5 5 0 0 +16 CH

CH vs Belswans (All Ages)
    Played CH Wins Draws Belswans Wins GD
    5 4 0 1 +9 CH

NL vs Southy (All Ages)
    Played NL Wins Draws Southy Wins GD
    2 2 0 0 +5 NL

I know the next argument is going to be "This was preseason, it doesn't count". My response to that is simply, who do you think will have improved more since? The teams with A League TDs training 3 nights a week, playing vs NPL opposition week in week out or the NL1 teams?

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post

I was comparing coaching set ups, style of play and improvement from last year.Cooks Hill are going in the right direction.New Lambton can only be judged after year 2,this year was always going to be a massive struggle.Adamstown and Charlestown have gone backwards and their player and coach exodus seem to be getting worse before it gets better.Lakes and Valo are going in the right direction.In my opinion they always need to start the year 12/12.The Bottom 4 clubs need exposure to the top tier if they have any hope of retaining their better kids and seeing the level they need to aspire to.NL/Cooks Hill etc have shown that dominating 2nd div for years does nothing in the long term.It also makes sure that the bottom teams arent copping cricket scores the whole year and the 2nd half can be dedicated to working on improving rather than another round of being cannon fodder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Is there still phase one with 14 teams, or do we go to 12/12 or 8/8/8?
    It goes 12/12 then split again into 8/8/8

The split and the change means clubs now need to actually do better otherwise they falter. Lakes have recognised this and done fairly well. Charlestown are languishing. Adamstown seem to be on the right track with their 13s and hopefully will be able to keep them.

Also what was AVBs point threw a lot out there but had no conclusion.

New fixtures have come out, should be for some good competitions, I see Magic manage to get away without a trip to Coffs meanwhile Edgy have to head up again

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    New fixtures have come out, should be for some good competitions, I see Magic manage to get away without a trip to Coffs meanwhile Edgy have to head up again
    Magic have already been up for the Pre season comp.

Yes they were meant to go up in the Mid-Season Cup but they agreed with North Coast to play their cup game during the league came and count the result towards both comps

Yes, the draw is out and the only really interesting part (if you are not a player or parent) is Group B. Which 4 clubs will go into Group 1 next year and which 4 will be in Group 2?
    In other news, the cup and plate are on again this weekend. First round winners are in the cup. First round losers are in the plate. Let's hope that next year that if you lose, you are out and this plate comp goes. Some of the mismatches in the plate are just pointless games that could result in score more in line with rugby league than football or in injury with no benefit to anyone.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Magic got nth coast in the pre season cup and the mid season knockout and the winners get mid coast in taree for the 2nd round. Strange thing to sook about

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Yes, the draw is out and the only really interesting part (if you are not a player or parent) is Group B. Which 4 clubs will go into Group 1 next year and which 4 will be in Group 2?
    In other news, the cup and plate are on again this weekend. First round winners are in the cup. First round losers are in the plate. Let's hope that next year that if you lose, you are out and this plate comp goes. Some of the mismatches in the plate are just pointless games that could result in score more in line with rugby league than football or in injury with no benefit to anyone.
    Maybe but it gives teams more football and cup competitions always have mismatches and blowouts.

I agree the outcome hasn’t been as intended by northern. However I think the concept has merit.

Perhaps next year they could look at an England FA cup style concept where different levels of teams are brought in progressively.
    Eg, community teams could play a/some rounds (depending on entries), then the tier 2 clubs come in, then the tier 1 come in towards the end.

The whole concept falls down however when a club forfeits every age group when drawn away to a regional club as happened this year.

Another option may be entering the zones community rep teams (the ones that went to Tamworth) to give that initiative more merit, as opposed to community teams, though I note Medowie were comfortable winners over Singleton in the 14s Plate.

All in all, I’m not normally a big fan of many things northern does, but in this instance I applaud them for trying something new

To be fair there is going to be some big mismatches in the cup as well

Quote Originally Posted by northern_swan View Post
    I agree the outcome hasn?t been as intended by northern. However I think the concept has merit.

Perhaps next year they could look at an England FA cup style concept where different levels of teams are brought in progressively.
    Eg, community teams could play a/some rounds (depending on entries), then the tier 2 clubs come in, then the tier 1 come in towards the end.

The whole concept falls down however when a club forfeits every age group when drawn away to a regional club as happened this year.

Another option may be entering the zones community rep teams (the ones that went to Tamworth) to give that initiative more merit, as opposed to community teams, though I note Medowie were comfortable winners over Singleton in the 14s Plate.

All in all, I?m not normally a big fan of many things northern does, but in this instance I applaud them for trying something new
    Well said.

While true, in terms of continuing developing players, it will help that in the top 8 and the bottom 8 almost all matches will now be tight and competitive, with like for like playing against each other, which means all kids will develop better and have something to go for and win.

Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    Magic got nth coast in the pre season cup and the mid season knockout and the winners get mid coast in taree for the 2nd round. Strange thing to sook about
    Just interesting that some clubs seem to get favours while we have to travel up to Coffs multiple times. Luck of the draw or just how Northern fixed it?