Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Premier Youth League

I have just looked at the PYL club championship points table ( did it myself as there does not appear to be one provided by NNSW) and only 1 surprise IMO with the top 6, as Valo ranking 4th!
    Not sure what they settled on for tier 2, but clubs like Adamstown, Azzurri, , New Lambton ( to be expected) Cooks Hill are MILES behind the others and have been for years.
    It shows me that not much has changed in youth for years and with these clubs going to Tier 2 it won?t, although clubs like Valo & Maitland have made big gains

Quote Originally Posted by Mad with football View Post
    I have just looked at the PYL club championship points table ( did it myself as there does not appear to be one provided by NNSW) and only 1 surprise IMO with the top 6, as Valo ranking 4th!
    Not sure what they settled on for tier 2, but clubs like Adamstown, Azzurri, , New Lambton ( to be expected) Cooks Hill are MILES behind the others and have been for years.
    It shows me that not much has changed in youth for years and with these clubs going to Tier 2 it won?t, although clubs like Valo & Maitland have made big gains
    Valo recruited very well and have a good coaching setup.Maitland have been improving for years and have had kids leave for higher level opportunites,something Valo will have to contend with going forward.Azzuri and Adamstown suffer from lack of numbers.Cooks Hill and Lakes are both on really good trajectories.The one to watch going forward may be Edgeworth.Mid table in most grades but have a strong 13s team.Not sure thats where they want to be.New Lambton have had a tough introduction and year 2 may be even tougher.The 2nd tier will be really good for the whole youth structure,some clubs are just in denial about it.As long as they keep bringing enough clubs back up each year it wont hurt.

I have Valo 5th. Some clubs have some extra catchup games but the bottom 6 should stay.

9-14th in order are
    Weston Workers
    Adamstown Rosebud
    Lake Macquarie City
    New Lambton
    Charlestown Azzurri (no 16s)
    Cooks Hill United

Quote Originally Posted by Oldy View Post
    I have Valo 5th. Some clubs have some extra catchup games but the bottom 6 should stay.

9-14th in order are
    Weston Workers
    Adamstown Rosebud
    Lake Macquarie City
    New Lambton
    Cooks Hill United
    If its not too much trouble would you mind posting the rest of the list if you have it?Id be very interested to see which clubs are hovering around the 6-8 mark.Also I have heard comments about it being weighted with more points awarded to 18s and 16s.Does anyone know if this is true?

Valo being up there isn't that much of a surprise, they were about 6th or 7th last year and as someone said they recruited well to move up a couple positions. Their 13s were a good pick up bringing in most of a team from Charlestown, wonder if the Charlestown committee are kicking themselves for telling their dominant 12s team last year that they wouldn't be given retentions and everyone has to trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldy View Post

9-14th in order are
    Weston Workers
    Adamstown Rosebud
    Lake Macquarie City
    New Lambton
    Cooks Hill United
    Weston to me is a big surprise, I know the stage isn't over yet but they have made some big strides over the past couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    If its not too much trouble would you mind posting the rest of the list if you have it?Id be very interested to see which clubs are hovering around the 6-8 mark.Also I have heard comments about it being weighted with more points awarded to 18s and 16s.Does anyone know if this is true?
    It's not true, people really spread some silly stories around, had one TD ranting about how Mid Coast and North Coast will always stay up which isn't true either.

The one to watch going forward may be Edgeworth.Mid table in most grades but have a strong 13s team.Not sure thats where they want to be.
    Probably won't matter to the 13s team provided the club stays top 8 every year. Seems the other ages have dropped off from where those players were last year. Most mid table except their 14s which are nearly last, what happened there they were 5th last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    It's not true, people really spread some silly stories around, had one TD ranting about how Mid Coast and North Coast will always stay up which isn't true either.
    Thanks for clearing that up.Id been told about the North Coast/Mid Coast thing as well but was sure that wasnt true.

All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

When does the change over occur

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    When does the change over occur
    There are 4 rounds to go but some clubs have washouts to catch up on.

There are 4 rounds to go but some clubs have washouts to catch up on.
    Thank you

You seem to be fairly well informed on all these matters,do you know if its true that clubs who dont field all age groups are getting sent to the 3rd tier at the cutoff or are they just going down to the 2nd tier if they are in the bottom 6 group?Its the other weird one I had heard around the traps.

You seem to be fairly well informed on all these matters,do you know if its true that clubs who dont field all age groups are getting sent to the 3rd tier at the cutoff or are they just going down to the 2nd tier if they are in the bottom 6 group?Its the other weird one I had heard around the traps.
    No, that's false, though Northern have said that you can't be in NPL and not have all youth grades, clubs without full teams have a years grace to fill them the following year. Will be interesting to see if Northern follow through on that for Azzurri if Azzurri don't get full teams next year.

https://www.northernnswfootball.com....r-youth-league

No, that's false, though Northern have said that you can't be in NPL and not have all youth grades, clubs without full teams have a years grace to fill them the following year. Will be interesting to see if Northern follow through on that for Azzurri if Azzurri don't get full teams next year.

https://www.northernnswfootball.com....r-youth-league
    Thanks for clearing that up.

I think we can already see some unfortunate losers in the new pro/rel

Charlestown 14s are a very decent squad and have troubled a lot of bigger clubs, and I believe Weston 14s are 2nd on the ladder at the moment (with 3 games left to run)...

I feel sorry for those kids...and I imagine the net result will be those strong squads almost lifting and shifting entirely at the end of the season...or at least the core of those teams seperating to many different clubs. Same for any others in that basket (I haven't seen all the tables)...while, Edgeworth 14s having a very poor year apparently using a "get out of jail" card

Really should have been on an individual team basis...just like the Victorians run their youth system (as I talked about before)

Quote Originally Posted by WOW2.0 View Post

Charlestown 14s are a very decent squad and have troubled a lot of bigger clubs, and I believe Weston 14s are 2nd on the ladder at the moment (with 3 games left to run)...

I feel sorry for those kids...and I imagine the net result will be those strong squads almost lifting and shifting entirely at the end of the season...or at least the core of those teams seperating to many different clubs. Same for any others in that basket (I haven't seen all the tables)...while, Edgeworth 14s having a very poor year apparently using a "get out of jail" card

Really should have been on an individual team basis...just like the Victorians run their youth system (as I talked about before)
    I'm in and around the 13s and 14s this season,judging by the tables I've seen Weston should stay up if they have a decent last few rounds and yes their 14s are doing very well.Charestown are effective,they are mid table but havent beaten anyone above them on the table so far.I dont disagree that there may be hard done by teams out there but on the whole the system will work by dropping clubs down as long as plenty (4 isnt it) come back up to start next year.For the short term we have to give up any dreams of doing it by teams as the logistics just wont work even though I totally agree with you that it would be the best long term solution.The 2nd tier with the 6 NPL1 clubs and Bel Swans + South Cardiff should be really interesting and I can honestly see both NPL2 clubs making it to NPL the following year,and good on them thats how the system should work.

Quote Originally Posted by WOW2.0 View Post

Weston currently sitting in the last tier 1 spot

The NL1 club championship is pretty well finalised but there is still some interest in the NPL club championship. The remaining matches before the 3 group split have little meaning in NL1. Next we dive into the 3 group phase. Tier 1 and 2 will each have 8 teams and tier 3 only 6 (less in some age groups). Table resets and there is only one round so you have 7 or 5(-) games (depending on your tier) to make the finals.

The lack of referees being assigned in this "premier" competition indicates that NNSW need to get their shit together in regards to the draw. When fees are as high as they are, it is unacceptable for games to be refereed by a coach or official from the home club with no linesmen. Just not good enough.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Had to watch a club official line for a 1st grade game the other day, refs are a scarce resource.