Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Premier Youth League

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwest View Post
    For mine, having 3 groups of 8 for the 2nd round is still the best model imo.

After the first round of home & away the teams will be well tested and sorted.

The 2nd round gives teams a closer challenge more often, less score blowouts etc. Sure, there'll be a first & last but less smashings.
    And for me will keep more kids in the game.

May also get clubs to improve their youth. Going from 3rd tier to 2nd will show an improvement.

Last, as a spectator will finally see more competitive games.
    All strong reasons, certainly be better than what we have had even in boys NPL over the past few years

Honestly, how atrocious is the refereeing in Coffs Harbour?
    The standard that they provide has to be questioned as it’s not fair to any playing group of any team that plays up there.
    It creates a hostile environment, as the parents from there are very delusional to think what is fished out to travelling teams is fair, p.s they hate losing. Hahahaha
    Last edited by TheCancer; 04-03-2023 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCancer View Post
    Honestly, how atrocious is the refereeing in Coffs Harbour?
    The standard that they provide has to be questioned as it’s not fair to any playing group of any team that plays up there.
    It creates a hostile environment, as the parents from there are very delusional to think what is fished out to travelling teams is fair, p.s they hate losing. Hahahaha
    First time?

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    First time?
    it sure was, WOW, they for real up there? adult referees as well, you would think that they'd have more control over a game and keep the game more free flowing instead of stop, start and explain when the synthetic grass was green.

why are they in our comp. its a joke.

Thoughts on the first Pre-Season Cup? Overall I think it was good looks like teams from 9 of the 12 clubs got to participate in a finals series which normally wouldn't happen so a good experience for players in those teams. Teams that are in the grand finals probably aren't a surprise except in the 18s where Lakes have made it through. Is it a cupset or is it expected? Past performance tell me it is the former.

All fixtures on Sunday

Pre Season Cup @ Macquarie Field
    13's @ 9am
    Jaffas v Edgeworth

14's @ 10:40am
    Mid Coast v Jaffas

15's @ 12:20pm
    Magic v Valentine

16's @ 2pm
    Maitland v Olympic

18's @ 3:40pm
    Lakes v Olympic

Pre Season Plate @ Blacksmiths
    13's @ 9am
    New Lambton vs Cooks Hill

14's @ 10:40am

15's @ 12:20pm

16's @ 2pm

18's @ 3:40pm
    New Lambton vs Belswans
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Thoughts on the first Pre-Season Cup? Overall I think it was good looks like teams from 9 of the 12 clubs got to participate in a finals series which normally wouldn't happen so a good experience for players in those teams. Teams that are in the grand finals probably aren't a surprise except in the 18s where Lakes have made it through. Is it a cupset or is it expected? Past performance tell me it is the former.
    The lazy placing of Cooks Hill and New Lambton in the plate competition was really poor and has resulted in lop sided scores and predictable finals as per the above.

On a positive the kids seem to really have enjoyed having something tangible to play for and it is great to see a variety of teams playing for a trophy.

Not quite sure why semi finals were at LMRFF last week but the finals are now @ Macquarie and Blacksmiths.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    The lazy placing of Cooks Hill and New Lambton in the plate competition was really poor and has resulted in lop sided scores and predictable finals as per the above.
    24 teams top 12 into cup bottom 12 into plate. New Lambton being 14th means they go in, Cooks Hill finishing bottom of the club championship last year mainly because they had no 16s is also why. Which is probably reflected in that their 18s failed to make the finals.

If those two go into the Cup, then you have 2 groups with 4, or you drop another 2 out. Which 2 would you propose should've been in the plate instead?

Not quite sure why semi finals were at LMRFF last week but the finals are now @ Macquarie and Blacksmiths.
    I did see an email where Northern asked if any clubs would like to host the semis last weekend but none took the opportunity to make a bucket load of cash from their canteen. Both Cooks Hill and South Cardiff hosted the Plate semis

Agree though it seems the kids did enjoy having something to play for and probably would prefer that over trial matches which would've occurred during that week anyway.

24 teams top 12 into cup bottom 12 into plate. New Lambton being 14th means they go in, Cooks Hill finishing bottom of the club championship last year mainly because they had no 16s is also why. Which is probably reflected in that their 18s failed to make the finals.

If those two go into the Cup, then you have 2 groups with 4, or you drop another 2 out. Which 2 would you propose should've been in the plate instead?
    In my opinion - Cup, Plate & Shield. 3 tiers, 3 trophies.

I did see an email where Northern asked if any clubs would like to host the semis last weekend but none took the opportunity to make a bucket load of cash from their canteen. Both Cooks Hill and South Cardiff hosted the Plate semis
    Cheers, that makes more sense.

Is it true Azzurri don’t have a 16’s team

In my opinion - Cup, Plate & Shield. 3 tiers, 3 trophies.
    Might be a better idea. The team I am involved with only got one game in this year's comp as we were in a group of three and the heat cancelled one game. Won our only game but it wasn't enough to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    Is it true Azzurri don’t have a 16’s team
    Correct, so in the second half of this season Azuri will have all ages in group 3. Good luck getting back into the top half of the draw for next season from there.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Might be a better idea. The team I am involved with only got one game in this year's comp as we were in a group of three and the heat cancelled one game. Won our only game but it wasn't enough to progress.
    Surprised you guys didn't get to reschedule like others that were called off.

Correct, so in the second half of this season Azuri will have all ages in group 3. Good luck getting back into the top half of the draw for next season from there.
    See if Northern follows that rule or not, they NPL clubs must field a full complement of youth teams to remain in NPL.

Surprised you guys didn't get to reschedule like others that were called off.

See if Northern follows that rule or not, they NPL clubs must field a full complement of youth teams to remain in NPL.
    NNSWF offered us a reschedule the night after the only game we played. Two games in two nights for pre season? No thanks.

Yeah, let's see if NNSWF has the will to follow their own rules. They haven't in the past.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Group 3?Wow thats a big punishment.I feel sorry for the kids as Charlestown lost a lot of players this season across all ages.Not sure why they werent able to fill spots.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    Group 3?Wow thats a big punishment.I feel sorry for the kids as Charlestown lost a lot of players this season across all ages.Not sure why they werent able to fill spots.
    Should look at the way they handled and treated youth players last year. My brother was there and after the way they handled retentions he left before they ended the season, speaking to a couple of other mates of his as well, just the general way they were treated by the club is why they were happy to go to other NPL clubs.

Should look at the way they handled and treated youth players last year. My brother was there and after the way they handled retentions he left before they ended the season, speaking to a couple of other mates of his as well, just the general way they were treated by the club is why they were happy to go to other NPL clubs.
    it's been a problem for Charlestown for years.

Azzurri are tackling the big issues this year.
    Kids have been told they have to wear black boots.

And fair enough - games gone to shite since kids started to wear pooncy coloured boots. Just need to have a look back through this thread. Entitled or what?

Copa’s at a minimum. Reag’s would be pushin this. F’in old school.

Quote Originally Posted by prawnhead View Post
    Just need to have a look back through this thread. Entitled or what?
    I know this is mostly tongue in cheek but after reading the ZPL threads I wont hear any slander of the people in this thread ever again.

That is not exactly true...I was there, the youth TD advised his preference for black boots (which is no different to the opinion, Richard Hartley expressed at Jaffas, the year we were there)

And for the same reasoning, that it promotes a sense of "professionlism" (agree or not)...why are you spreading unchecked rumours though ��