Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Premier Youth League

Quote Originally Posted by Isthisforreal View Post
    Totally agree, gives kids an opportunity regardless of who their club, coach, TD or who they know. Compared to private academy training the price is very reasonable, ultimately replaces NNSW TSP. Good to see the Jets finally leading the way
    I don't get how you see this as leading the way. Incredibly disappointing since this is replacing TSP for the 12s now you are having to essentially pay to be identified since clubs and I assume northern weren't even notified this was happening.

Wrapping it up as extra training is just putting a bow on the ****pile that development in Newcastle has become. Its pay to be seen not "doesn't matter who your club is". Think about that for more than a minute. Those kids who can't afford it can't afford the $300 either, its a null argument, the rest are out training multiple nights a week and playing JDL - particularly in the girls space as many girls who play football in community just aren't interested in the time and work that needs to be put in.

The jets are not leading the way, they have simply run out of things to make money from.

If they want to run coaching clinics so be it. If they actually want to develop players and get the best they should have been out watching them all this season, they aren't going to find some random kid who's going to be the next superstar, anyone who thinks that lives in a fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    I don't get how you see this as leading the way. Incredibly disappointing since this is replacing TSP for the 12s now you are having to essentially pay to be identified since clubs and I assume northern weren't even notified this was happening.

Wrapping it up as extra training is just putting a bow on the ****pile that development in Newcastle has become. Its pay to be seen not "doesn't matter who your club is". Think about that for more than a minute. Those kids who can't afford it can't afford the $300 either, its a null argument, the rest are out training multiple nights a week and playing JDL - particularly in the girls space as many girls who play football in community just aren't interested in the time and work that needs to be put in.

The jets are not leading the way, they have simply run out of things to make money from.

If they want to run coaching clinics so be it. If they actually want to develop players and get the best they should have been out watching them all this season, they aren't going to find some random kid who's going to be the next superstar, anyone who thinks that lives in a fantasy.
    200 kids have signed up... $295 a kid... $59,000... CHA CHING!!! not bad for 10 hours work.

Wrapping it up as extra training is just putting a bow on the ****pile that development in Newcastle has become. Its pay to be seen not "doesn't matter who your club is".
    Just on this point,history seems to be on your side with this argument,but this was probably the biggest spread of clubs being represented in the 2023 Jets 13s in forever.We had an often discussed situation last year where clubs were trying to recruit TSP related JDL superteams yet for all the player movement the main club involved in the discussion got 2 kids in.I think JDL seems to be working in that more kids are getting better coaching at more clubs.Hopefully that starts to see kids staying at their clubs and not feeling the need to be seen by playing at the traditional "stronger" clubs.My point is completely separate from this Jets academy which absolutely seems to be about revenue raising.But the Jets TD is going to be judged by results,so if they think that they will succeed by only recruiting kids from their own program they wont last long in the job.JDL is showing that the wider the net the better.

Absolutely this.

Soccer in Australia has fallen so badly into paying to play that parents willingly accept that $300 to trial is okay. It isn’t. You can’t put a bow on the Jets using parents FOMO to make money.

Football will never succeed in this country until we get rid of the parasites and leeches. Including private 'academies'. If your kid is any good, you're out of Newy and ultimately Australia asap.

Not only is the setup just mates getting mates paid at the expense of gullible parents, but the talent ID and scouting ability of the people in charge in Australia are just poor in general.

And then anyone with an ounce of football experience or acumen has to pay their own way into a certification too - laughable.

Look at the young fella tearing it up with Mourinho at Roma. Not good enough for the Wanderers academy. Wonder how many good kids in newy just don't bother because mum, dad, or coach doesn't have the right connections/cash.

Quote Originally Posted by jessepinkman View Post
    Football will never succeed in this country until we get rid of the parasites and leeches. Including private 'academies'. If your kid is any good, you're out of Newy and ultimately Australia asap.

Not only is the setup just mates getting mates paid at the expense of gullible parents, but the talent ID and scouting ability of the people in charge in Australia are just poor in general.

And then anyone with an ounce of football experience or acumen has to pay their own way into a certification too - laughable.

Look at the young fella tearing it up with Mourinho at Roma. Not good enough for the Wanderers academy. Wonder how many good kids in newy just don't bother because mum, dad, or coach doesn't have the right connections/cash.
    Largely agree with you Jesse but the boy at Roma needed one of those private academies to get him opportunities after WSW cut him, so there is a place for them in the wider context. The major issue in Newy is that those running private academies also have heavy influence in decisions at the Jets and other top NPL clubs.

People will say the pool of good coaches in Newy is so small that it’s inevitable that those with academies will also be attached to the bigger clubs and Jets. The question is whether they should also be making decisions on player selections and retentions. Can those same coaches separate the private money and decisions on players futures without bias? Harder to do than it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by BBscone View Post
    A coup at Rosebuds and Hartley out of Jaffas and now at Buds?
    Where did this come from?Seems very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    Where did this come from?Seems very strange.
    That would be big for Buds youth

Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    Careful what you wish for. Jaffas youth results have gone backwards over the last few years.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

It seems the complete opposite approach to what Rosebuds currently preach.

It seems the complete opposite approach to what Rosebuds currently preach.
    I agree. I actually think the path they have been on is the one for long term sustainability but when next year results at all cost come in you might need to blend both ways

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Careful what you wish for. Jaffas youth results have gone backwards over the last few years.
    Just looked through table positions quickly whilst on a very boring meeting:
    Year 13's 14's 15's 16's Average Median
    2022 2 8 4 9 5.75 6
    2021 2 6 8 4 5 5
    2020 7 10 3 2 5.5 5
    2019 10 6 7 4 6.75 6.5
    2018 1 11 2 3 4.25 2.5
    2017 7 3 7 1 4.5 5
    2016 8 5 4 9 6.5 6.5

Based purely off table positioning they're in a better place than they were when he took over after 2019.

Marginal? Yes, but not backwards.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    Just looked through table positions quickly whilst on a very boring meeting:
    Year 13's 14's 15's 16's Average Median
    2022 2 8 4 9 5.75 6
    2021 2 6 8 4 5 5
    2020 7 10 3 2 5.5 5
    2019 10 6 7 4 6.75 6.5
    2018 1 11 2 3 4.25 2.5
    2017 7 3 7 1 4.5 5
    2016 8 5 4 9 6.5 6.5

Based purely off table positioning they're in a better place than they were when he took over after 2019.

Marginal? Yes, but not backwards.
    The big question is how many kids did he develop right through vs how many did he recruit in order to get results?Lets face it hes a great recruiter and a very good coach.But if JDL and NPL youth are about developing kids to their full potential and breeding future first graders I can totally understand why people dont like his approach.

Banned
    The big question is how many kids did he develop right through vs how many did he recruit in order to get results?Lets face it hes a great recruiter and a very good coach.But if JDL and NPL youth are about developing kids to their full potential and breeding future first graders I can totally understand why people dont like his approach.
    He's a better recruiter than coach but so are some other "top" clubs.
    Can create a toxic culture which isnt good but again happens at all clubs from time to time.
    And the teams arent technically as good as Mid coast teams.
    He be an improvement at Rosebuds though.
    Last edited by terry; 03-11-2022 at 05:57 PM.

Hartley's Academy VS Gomes' Academy... There was only going to be one winner with Tanch bringing the $$$ to make up for departing major sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by terry View Post
    He's a better recruiter than coach but so are some other "top" clubs.
    Can create a toxic culture which isnt good but again happens at all clubs from time to time.
    And the teams arent technically as good as Mid coast teams.
    He be an improvement at Rosebuds though.
    Is this rumours and speculation or concrete

Banned
    All rumour from not very reliable sources

That he is going to buds or that he goes and recruits (poach) players?

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    That he is going to buds or that he goes and recruits (poach) players?
    Going to Buds. We all know he’s a poacher

I'd love to see some kind of rule that limits how many kids you replace with others from PYL clubs each season. You pick 'em, so develop them. It might take more than one season for a kid to reach potential. Dumping a kid and raiding another club isn't about development: it is about winning. How about achieving the latter by doing the former better?
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen