Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Premier Youth League

Quote Originally Posted by WOW2.0 View Post
    Saw that Football Victoria conducts their youth Pro/Rel on a team by team basis...surely this would have been a better model for us to have adopted, allowing for underperforming clubs to build and grow (without the risk of an overperforming team suffering a collective punishment, and being a target for poaching)

This is following on from a post from South Melbourne FC last night pointed out how they had just finished being graded for their youth NPL teams, and finished with 2 teams in Div 1, and a team each in Div 2 and 3

Shame we didn't adopt this model
    Have a closer look at how this model is structured and you will see it is very poor.

Anyone have a link to a summary of the structure?
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Why is it poor...Victoria's NPL output is arguably the best in the country?

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    Anyone have a link to a summary of the structure?
    Found this just now...relevant from page 49 (they play 33 games all up, 11 for grading purposes, and then a season of 22 games in their relevant tier)...importantly, the gradings are by team...so if there is a good team in a weak club, they are not punished (and vice versa)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IZH...7JVR2uYGp/view

Saw that Football Victoria conducts their youth Pro/Rel on a team by team basis...surely this would have been a better model for us to have adopted, allowing for underperforming clubs to build and grow (without the risk of an overperforming team suffering a collective punishment, and being a target for poaching)

This is following on from a post from South Melbourne FC last night pointed out how they had just finished being graded for their youth NPL teams, and finished with 2 teams in Div 1, and a team each in Div 2 and 3

Shame we didn't adopt this model
    I think the issue is volunteers, ground availability and players playing multiple games. Imagine Newcastle Olympic with their U16s in Coffs Harbour, their U15s at Weston, their U14s at home and their U13s at Blacksmiths, all playing on the same day in three different divisions.

Plus the way Northern does it is the same way Sydney does it
    Last edited by Taffy; 12-04-2023 at 11:00 AM.

I'm just suggesting it's a better (and fairer) way then the way Sydney does it, too, one that lets teams find their appropriate level...what you mentioned are just inconveniences really and could be managed, as obviously happens in Victoria already

Probably more volunteers in Victoria.

Probably also don't have teams as far away as North Coast and Northern Inland.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Forever View Post
    Probably also don't have teams as far away as North Coast and Northern Inland.
    Murray United - Woodonga, Gippsland United - Gippsland, Goulburn Valley - Bendigo.
    Geelong pulled out due to travel and having teams play at different areas of the state. You also have Mornington that is an hour from the city
    Gippsland to Geelong is 5 hours
    Gippsland to Goulburn valley 6 hours
    Gippsland to Bendigo 6 hours
    Bendigo to City 2 hours
    Gippsland to City 4 hours
    Woodonga to City 3.5 hours
    Woodonga to Geelong 4 hours
    Woodonga to Gippsland 5.5 hours

Does anyone know how NIAS are now linked with Wallsend?Their club name comes up as NIAS/Wallsend on the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
    Geelong pulled out due to travel and having teams play at different areas of the state.
    Seems there is an issue with the Victorian model then.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    Does anyone know how NIAS are now linked with Wallsend?Their club name comes up as NIAS/Wallsend on the draw.
    Yes, NIAS were unable to provide an u18s and Wallsend could. Essentially, Wallsend are NIAS for the club championship.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Yes, NIAS were unable to provide an u18s and Wallsend could. Essentially, Wallsend are NIAS for the club championship.
    Thanks.

Is that the reason they pulled out, genuinely curious where they posted this?

Those travel distances are the same if the entire club has to travel or 1 team though...I've not noticed large entourage's of club people at games so far

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    I think the issue is volunteers, ground availability and players playing multiple games. Imagine Newcastle Olympic with their U16s in Coffs Harbour, their U15s at Weston, their U14s at home and their U13s at Blacksmiths, all playing on the same day in three different divisions.

Plus the way Northern does it is the same way Sydney does it
    Nothing wrong with that if you have half a brain. Parents run their kids to a different ground. Big deal, wheres the hardship?

Only difference is you dont prance around before and after the other grades. And have enough kids for each grade in case you aren't together.

If you cant handle that youre a precious knob.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldy View Post
    Nothing wrong with that [edited] Parents run their kids to a different ground. Big deal, wheres the hardship?

Only difference is you dont prance around before and after the other grades. And have enough kids for each grade in case you aren't together.

[edited]
    No need for insults, but please tell me how parents can run kids from Weston to Coffs when the game is on the same day?

Please tell me how club can host game days when most clubs rely on parents to run canteens and other duties to host games day when they are all at different grounds and ferrying their kids around.
    Last edited by Aegon; 14-04-2023 at 10:04 AM.

Is that any different if you had a couple of kids in different clubs? (Or a kid in YNPL and another in SAP) @Taffy

(Another possibility, maybe, Coffs Harbour shouldn't be in our league...I have to travel up there later this year, I don't really want to :P )

Why is it poor...Victoria's NPL output is arguably the best in the country?
    who has reported that? everyone in vic says its broken - lots of Newcastle peeps go to Victorian NPL to play senior football which would make me think that the youth aren't competing in that space for senior spots..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    No need for insults, but please tell me how parents can run kids from Weston to Coffs when the game is on the same day?

Please tell me how club can host game days when most clubs rely on parents to run canteens and other duties to host games day when they are all at different grounds and ferrying their kids around.
    Not an insult. You are a crybaby who loses the plot when things need a bit of thought.

Clubs make it work. Parents have a brain and can make it work.
    We have cars and spend money on useless crap everyday this is easily doable.

Maybe you also need to grow up and not pretend that every thing is too hard.

They go there, and then find they are not up to speed �� then typically come back to play regularly in our NPL

We have friends who left a tier 1 club here to specifically go play youth NPL in Victoria (they've been much happier)

First graders are paid a lot more in Victoria...hence the attempts to go there...also reflects better in your player CV