Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Premier Youth League

Magic had 17 players playing up ineligible to play in their age group for finals football this season...

But to ensure we can win a 220x300mm piece of MDF with brass foil on the front next season, we will make sure all players are eligible.

We very happy with our development pathway. How many of your first graders have come through your youth system, it should be considered when you judge a club on their youth development rather than fake timber plaques. And Magic only finished 1 point behind the million dollar team.

Or are you happy for little johnnys rego to pay Topors $2k a week so you can high 5 him when he is on his way to take a piss before first grade head into the sheds.

All PYL teams should have to publish their fee structure. I wonder how many parents will vote with their wallet?

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    You obviously didnt see Magic and Olympic over the last 15 years. Jaffas have only started to match their recruitment you idiot.
    Agreeing with my point then thinking Im an idiot for saying it isnt quite the burn you think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCorner View Post
    Tactical master class from Jaffas 13s Coach.👏

Putting your right back for those 90 seconds in the first half is great development and fosters a life long love of the game. Bravo

#dEvELopMEnt
    I'd wager finals are a different story, though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    18 age not good enough to move into seniors.
    Quite a few of their 18s are actually 16s, but a few have been told by Jim they will be in the reserves team next year.

Quote Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
    But to ensure we can win a 220x300mm piece of MDF with brass foil on the front next season, we will make sure all players are eligible.
    Haha, good to see when clubs don't think this is the be all and end all.

How many of your first graders have come through your youth system
    The bigger question is how many of Magic's first graders came through their youth system? That's the bigger judge of good development.

Or are you happy for little johnnys rego to pay Topors $2k a week so you can high 5 him when he is on his way to take a piss before first grade head into the sheds.
    Let's not pretend that Magic rego fees don't contribute to player payments.

Magic had 17 players playing up ineligible to play in their age group for finals football this season...

We very happy with our development pathway. How many of your first graders have come through your youth system, it should be considered when you judge a club on their youth development rather than fake timber plaques. And Magic only finished 1 point behind the million dollar team.

Always the same salty excuse from you. Cant win so the others paid more or the trophy is plastic. Remember you also needed tissues over the Hartley v Gomez academy $$
    Immature muppets like you continue to give your club a bad name.

Btw jaffas get a decent sponsorship to pay firsts as well. Most clubs put youth fees into seniors at some point. some more than others. The system was never perfect.

Anyway im glad your crying. Makes the rest of Newcastle happy.

Premier Youth League Grand Finals
    Group A Sunday Adamstown Oval
    13 - 8.30
    Edgy vs Jaffas
    14 - 10.30
    Jaffas vs Weston
    15 - 12.30
    Maitland vs North Coast
    16 - 4.30
    Olympic vs Edgy
    18 - 2.30
    Maitland vs North Coast

Group B Saturday Blacksmiths Oval
    13 - 8.30
    Lakes vs Adamstown
    14 - 10.30
    Azzurri vs Lakes
    15 - 12.30
    Mid Coast vs New Lambton
    16 - 2.30
    New Lambton vs South Cardiff
    18 - 4.30
    New Lambton vs Adamstown

Group C Saturday Rockwell Automation Park Weston
    13 - 10.30
    NIAS vs Westy
    14 - 12.30
    NIAS vs Westy
    15 - 2.30
    Thornton vs NIAS
    16 - 8.30
    Thornton vs Kahibah
    18 - 4.30
    Kahibah vs Westy

Note the changes of time for some games to accommodate North Coast and NIAS
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

The bigger question is how many of Magic's first graders came through their youth system? That's the bigger judge of good development.

Glad you asked... From our GF Squad...

Dom Brymora U13s NPL>>> First Grade
    Jayden Stewardson U15s NPL >>> First grade
    Jeremy Wilson U15s NPL >>> First Grade
    Angus McLeoad U13s NPL>>>> Jets Youth >>> returned to First Grade
    Josh Benson U13s NPL>>>> Jets Youth >>> returned to First Grade
    Cale Graham U15s NPL>>>> Jets Youth >>> returned to First Grade
    Xander Woweries U15s NPL>>> First Grade

Kale Bradbery >>> Magic U18s >>> Magic First Grade>>> Jaffas
    Josh Piddington >>> Magic First grade as 16 year old >>> Jaffas
    Ben Kennedy>>> Magic First Grade >>> Jets >>> Jaffas
    Matthew Hoole >>> Magic Community >>> Magic First Grade>>> Jaffas
    Sam Webb>>> Magic 15s NPL >>> Magic First Grade>>> Jaffas

So 4 players

Glad you asked... From our GF Squad...

Dom Brymora U13s NPL>>> First Grade
    Jayden Stewardson U15s NPL >>> First grade
    Jeremy Wilson U15s NPL >>> First Grade
    Angus McLeoad U13s NPL>>>> Jets Youth >>> returned to First Grade
    Josh Benson U13s NPL>>>> Jets Youth >>> returned to First Grade
    Cale Graham U15s NPL>>>> Jets Youth >>> returned to First Grade
    Xander Woweries U15s NPL>>> First Grade

Kale Bradbery >>> Magic U18s >>> Magic First Grade>>> Jaffas
    Josh Piddington >>> Magic First grade as 16 year old >>> Jaffas
    Ben Kennedy>>> Magic First Grade >>> Jets >>> Jaffas
    Matthew Hoole >>> Magic Community >>> Magic First Grade>>> Jaffas
    Sam Webb>>> Magic 15s NPL >>> Magic First Grade>>> Jaffas
    Now the long list where youth from other clubs have gone to Magic. Let someone who has a fair view do that research

Ignoring the other side of the argument is stupidity but usual from you lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwest View Post
    Now the long list where youth from other clubs have gone to Magic. Let someone who has a fair view do that research

Ignoring the other side of the argument is stupidity but usual from you lot.
    The question was how many of Magics first grade come through their youth system... pretty simple question really, with an answer given ... How many from your club?

But if every side of the story must be considered i hope you lay in bed at night wondering how many times your mother considered aborting you next time she wishes you happy birthday.

The reality is:
    - that no club in Newcastle has a first grade squad made up of its juniors and probably never will. Having a "my dog is bigger than your dog" argument about it is a waste of time. Every NPL club is as good or bad as the other.
    - players move from club to club for a number of reasons, money being one of them, opportunity being another.
    - money is paid by all NPL clubs and a number of NL1 clubs (not all) to attract first grade players. Don't pretend it isn't and if you are from an NPL club, don't pretend that yours doesn't pay. There is nothing wrong with it while NNSW turn a blind eye to it, and how they raise that money is their concern. Don't like it, then find another club.
    - having coached youth in both NPL and NL1, my experience is that there are good programmes at clubs in both. There are also very good and very average and some down right poor coaches at both levels.
    - Youth fees to play in what is now the same comp range from $950 to $2,200. Generally, the fees include strip, training strip, match fees (refs), rego, ground hire, utilities (power), polo shirt, track suite etc. Overall, the packages offerred are comparable whilst the price isn't. You can decide what you think the extra money is for. If you are ok with it: fine. If not, then find another club. I firmly believe that those fees, once approved by NNSW Football should be published. Give families an informed choice.
    - the only difference between the NPL based clubs and the NL1 based clubs is the perception that you get better training at an NPL club. That perception is reinforced by the best kids wanting to go to those clubs because they (or their parents) think that's the way to NPL first grade at that club. Those clubs are then kept strong by that perception and it becomes self fulfilling. There are other ways. The current migration of players between clubs already proves it. I guarantee you that if you are a youth player at a NL1 based club and you can play, a NPL club will come knocking.

So can we get on with discussing the current youth comp and not the history of current NPL first graders?
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    The reality is:
    - that no club in Newcastle has a first grade squad made up of its juniors and probably never will. Having a "my dog is bigger than your dog" argument about it is a waste of time. Every NPL club is as good or bad as the other.
    - players move from club to club for a number of reasons, money being one of them, opportunity being another.
    - money is paid by all NPL clubs and a number of NL1 clubs (not all) to attract first grade players. Don't pretend it isn't and if you are from an NPL club, don't pretend that yours doesn't pay. There is nothing wrong with it while NNSW turn a blind eye to it, and how they raise that money is their concern. Don't like it, then find another club.
    - having coached youth in both NPL and NL1, my experience is that there are good programmes at clubs in both. There are also very good and very average and some down right poor coaches at both levels.
    - Youth fees to play in what is now the same comp range from $950 to $2,200. Generally, the fees include strip, training strip, match fees (refs), rego, ground hire, utilities (power), polo shirt, track suite etc. Overall, the packages offerred are comparable whilst the price isn't. You can decide what you think the extra money is for. If you are ok with it: fine. If not, then find another club. I firmly believe that those fees, once approved by NNSW Football should be published. Give families an informed choice.
    - the only difference between the NPL based clubs and the NL1 based clubs is the perception that you get better training at an NPL club. That perception is reinforced by the best kids wanting to go to those clubs because they (or their parents) think that's the way to NPL first grade at that club. Those clubs are then kept strong by that perception and it becomes self fulfilling. There are other ways. The current migration of players between clubs already proves it. I guarantee you that if you are a youth player at a NL1 based club and you can play, a NPL club will come knocking.

So can we get on with discussing the current youth comp and not the history of current NPL first graders?
    Where would you have your grandkids play Hunter? One NPL and one NL1 team for variety.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    Where would you have your grandkids play Hunter? One NPL and one NL1 team for variety.
    I am biased here as I coach at a NL1 club at the moment. Additionally, what would suit me might not suit you. Club culture can vary greatly.
    I'd suugest you meet the TD and the coach and try and get a feel for their philosophy. If possible, attend a game and see how the coach behaves. Is he aggressive, calm, silent, noisly critical of players and referees, does he micro manage? Is that behaviour acceptable to you? Does the coach enforce appropriate discipline or is his team loose and uncontrolled? Ask around amongst the parents at the club.
    You are going to be paying a significant amount of money and as a paying customer you should do your research.

There are plenty of trials going on right now. Go to some and trial. It is not just the player that is on trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    I am biased here as I coach at a NL1 club at the moment. Additionally, what would suit me might not suit you. Club culture can vary greatly.
    I'd suugest you meet the TD and the coach and try and get a feel for their philosophy. If possible, attend a game and see how the coach behaves. Is he aggressive, calm, silent, noisly critical of players and referees, does he micro manage? Is that behaviour acceptable to you? Does the coach enforce appropriate discipline or is his team loose and uncontrolled? Ask around amongst the parents at the club.
    You are going to be paying a significant amount of money and as a paying customer you should do your research.

There are plenty of trials going on right now. Go to some and trial. It is not just the player that is on trial.
    One of the most sensible things Ive read on here 🙌

Quote Originally Posted by TopCorner View Post
    One of the most sensible things Ive read on here ��
    Not really. You become a better footballer by playing with and against better footballers. It's nice to have a nice coach who will give you a hug along the way, but if you want to play NPL in Newcastle or aim higher then none of that will get you there.

Teaching your player (as a parent or as a coach) how to deal with the adults they come across is going to be the single best skill in this space you can give them. How to get on the pitch and play football, take the direction that helps them and filter out the ridiculous commentary from other players, parents on the sideline and coaches will get them much further. You can't always control who is going to coach you, and just because you start the season with the worlds best coach, doesn't mean it's going to end that way either.

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    Not really. You become a better footballer by playing with and against better footballers. It's nice to have a nice coach who will give you a hug along the way, but if you want to play NPL in Newcastle or aim higher then none of that will get you there.

Teaching your player (as a parent or as a coach) how to deal with the adults they come across is going to be the single best skill in this space you can give them. How to get on the pitch and play football, take the direction that helps them and filter out the ridiculous commentary from other players, parents on the sideline and coaches will get them much further. You can't always control who is going to coach you, and just because you start the season with the worlds best coach, doesn't mean it's going to end that way either.
    So is your answer to only go to an NPL club? There are NPL clubs with poor culture, poor programmes and poor coaches. The PYL now allows clubs from either NPL or NL1 to push into the top tier. It is now one comp. Take BelSwans as an example, they finished above NPL clubs in the youth club championship but if we accept that only NPL clubs are worthy of consideration, they would be overlooked.
    No one is suggesting that a "nice coach" be found. The suggestion is to look at the club, its programme, its coaches, its TD and choose what you feel is right for you, and that will vary from person to person. Belswans proved this year that the NL1 clubs can compete with the NPL clubs and I think the South Cardiff 16s have shown that they can compete too.

You are right in your second paragraph. Mental toughness is a characteristic any player needs to fight his way up.

Everyone develops and becomes better in different ways.
    Sometimes that?s a single method. Sometimes that changes. Sometimes multiple methods are needed.

A player may find a particular coach helps develop their game and wishes to stick and follow them around.
    Some players game may not resonate with a coach, and that?s okay. Reality is most coaches can?t develop and resonate with every player in their team. Come
    Coaches have a great tactical mind, some coaches may focus on skills development and ?plays?, some may aim to introduce elements of professionalism.

Sometimes a player learns and develops better around better footballers. Sometimes this may be detrimental. Sometimes they may learn more if they drop to an easier tier or play in a team where they are a playmaker and not a benchwarmer or have some more time to make their decisions before mixing it with the ?top? again.

The best thing a player can have is determination and resilience. Determination to be better and improve whether that?s playing at a top club, playing up an age group or ?dropping? to another club to get more time, whatever it is, aim to improve.

Reality of football in this region is it?s who you know, and reputations of coaches and clubs with those affiliations goes a long way. Not all the way?.but a long way.
    15+ years ago I turned up to Newcastle United trials and players already had shorts and socks, same with Macquarie etc, the ?trial? was an illusion. And it?s still happening today, and will continue to happen. I had been overlooked because I played community at some clubs, they didn?t even want a bar of me. Got a gig with another club and the club that didn?t offer me a trial asked me to join them the year after?.you can imagine my response.

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    Not really. You become a better footballer by playing with and against better footballers. It's nice to have a nice coach who will give you a hug along the way, but if you want to play NPL in Newcastle that will get you there.
    Rubbish there are players who played NPL in Newcastle this year who spent many youth years at what are now Div 2 clubs. Also plenty of players in NL1 and won't make an NPL 1st grade side who spent all their youth at now Div 1 clubs.