Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Premier Youth League

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Jets always do that 15 field players, 2 goalkeepers
    I'm not sure they do. My eldest was involved a few years ago and 15 picked with one GK so to maximise minutes on the pitch. Two GK's? How will that work? Guess they will alternate matches, so effectively get half as much playing time as outfield. Not ideal for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    The jets not long ago posted about how the academy program is running 200k in the red (after the kids fees come in as well)

Need to make the program sustainable before it collapses and let northern wear the cost of running the pre NPL development program.
    The Brisbane Roar decision to fold their Youth from 13's-16's tells us exactly where Youth is on the list of priorities for A League clubs. The Jets are no different. My boy's experience left him/me very underwhelmed unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Spell Check View Post
    The Brisbane Roar decision to fold their Youth from 13's-16's tells us exactly where Youth is on the list of priorities for A League clubs. The Jets are no different. My boy's experience left him/me very underwhelmed unfortunately.
    Well, the local NPL isnt the answer either. More than half of the games are walkovers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newysports2.0 View Post
    The name is obviously a pisstake if you can’t tell
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    the pisstake is on, who would call themselves after a pedo.....

I'm not sure they do. My eldest was involved a few years ago and 15 picked with one GK so to maximise minutes on the pitch. Two GK's? How will that work? Guess they will alternate matches, so effectively get half as much playing time as outfield. Not ideal for mine.
    It's how the comp in Sydney runs for goalkeepers at least - 2 13's a 14s, 2 15,s a 16s and 2 18s. For the jets this season at least one or two moved back to play local comp. In Sydney it means you have to be competitive to play even if you are the only one in your age group there's opportunity for a keeper to push you out if you aren't continually pushing to be better.

Can't comment on field players, but when promotion and relegation are on I suspect teams start the season full to minimise the risk of being short on game days. Will probably start happening in Newcastle too.

GK’s play half games each. Was always a bit of a sore point travelling so far for half a game

Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    GK’s play half games each. Was always a bit of a sore point travelling so far for half a game
    Last year with my daughter they tried half a game away and at home games it was one full game in goals next home game on the bench. Wasn’t a fan of the two keeper approach as it’s not great for their development don’t get me wrong I do understand pressure for place is apart of the learning but I don’t agree with it being at a crucial stage of development.

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Last year with my daughter they tried half a game away and at home games it was one full game in goals next home game on the bench. Wasn’t a fan of the two keeper approach as it’s not great for their development don’t get me wrong I do understand pressure for place is apart of the learning but I don’t agree with it being at a crucial stage of development.
    It’s even worse if you’re playing some struggling team and spend your half standing on the top of the box watching. I’m surprised anyone signs up to be a keeper at the best of times

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Stupid system. 1 Keeper per team and allow NPL keeper to fill in if needed
    Quote Originally Posted by Newysports2.0 View Post
    The name is obviously a pisstake if you can’t tell
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    the pisstake is on, who would call themselves after a pedo.....

If my kid were a keeper, I would be focussed more on their out of match training. I would also prefer the kid to be in a weaker team: more practice.

The kid that was in goals for my son's NPL team was hardly tested over the 4 years as the team was a very strong one. Maybe he would have learned more playing for a weaker one where he would actually have to do more. We will never know.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Stupid system. 1 Keeper per team and allow NPL keeper to fill in if needed
    that also is incredibly difficult, especially semi's and grand final days, overuse injuries do happen, especially after two games and extra time, pick up an injury in the first game and you don't have a registered goalkeeper as anyone outside their age group needs to be registered to play in that age come semis and grand finals. Its not an easy balance and you can't always get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    that also is incredibly difficult, especially semi's and grand final days, overuse injuries do happen, especially after two games and extra time, pick up an injury in the first game and you don't have a registered goalkeeper as anyone outside their age group needs to be registered to play in that age come semis and grand finals. Its not an easy balance and you can't always get it right.
    Nothing difficult at all about it, they’re kids, if the one keeper is injured at the said time you are concerned about then he or she is replaced by another squad member, winning isn’t development, learning about potholes along the way is

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    Nothing difficult at all about it, they’re kids, if the one keeper is injured at the said time you are concerned about then he or she is replaced by another squad member, winning isn’t development, learning about potholes along the way is
    How I see it too. More games is good. Maybe not having concrete goal mouths might help with injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    they aren't babies, they are youth players moving towards playing senior football. earning your spot is the potholes along the way, not having things continually handed to you, not sure why people are so keen to continue to baby teenagers. You want them to "learn about potholes" but earning game time isn't that? no wonder people are confused about football in Newcastle.

Pre academy deets. Trials a bit pricey

https://newcastlejetsfootballclub.fo...UV-qChoXOwKeAY

Quote Originally Posted by finzee View Post

I guess if you look at it as a trial it does seem excessive, but as a pre-season training opportunity id say its just about on par with every other clinics on offer and if the jets draw on some of the coaches they currently have involved the kids should gain plenty from it.

Quote Originally Posted by sideline88 View Post
    I guess if you look at it as a trial it does seem excessive, but as a pre-season training opportunity id say its just about on par with every other clinics on offer and if the jets draw on some of the coaches they currently have involved the kids should gain plenty from it.
    Totally agree, gives kids an opportunity regardless of who their club, coach, TD or who they know. Compared to private academy training the price is very reasonable, ultimately replaces NNSW TSP. Good to see the Jets finally leading the way

Quote Originally Posted by Isthisforreal View Post
    Totally agree, gives kids an opportunity regardless of who their club, coach, TD or who they know. Compared to private academy training the price is very reasonable, ultimately replaces NNSW TSP. Good to see the Jets finally leading the way
    It is a private academy, just in the Jets name. If all the clubs can run extra training at a price why cannot the Jets. If they can get cash off 10 year olds, that they won't be able to sign for 3 years why not hey.

Jets have monetised every football experience used in clubland to finally make their books balance. Pre-academy, mini world cups, talent I'd training, shadow squads... $$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by finzee View Post

Seems reasonable to me if you look at it against other various kids pursuits like dancing, music lessons, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sideline88 View Post
    Don't we have to look at it as a trial? It's advertised as for coaches to ID players for the Jets pre academy. So the price to trial is $300 however you want to dress it up.

Excessive is one word to use.

Quote Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
    It is a private academy, just in the Jets name. If all the clubs can run extra training at a price why cannot the Jets. If they can get cash off 10 year olds, that they won't be able to sign for 3 years why not hey.

Jets have monetised every football experience used in clubland to finally make their books balance. Pre-academy, mini world cups, talent I'd training, shadow squads... $$$$$$$
    100% agree with this. I am amazed at the positivity around it.