Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Premier Youth League

I know Adamstown decided to forfeit two of their games against North Coast, however, could've done it when North Coast where in town (as others did), or change the other game that weekend (also as others did). The other one was Nelson Bay forfeiting in the U13s, no idea what happened there, though understand that would be more difficult. More a reluctance on the club wanting to bother rather than a real scheduling issue.

Wonder if Northern fined those clubs that forfeited, particularly those like Thornton that couldn't be bothered going for a two hour drive to play.

As long as all parties had a say in proposed changes, fair enough.

I do question how you can play the one match as a cup/regular fixture though as happened in at least one case. A knockout game is very different to a league fixture and unfair to play both as one.

Maybe a compromise is gala type arrangements including early rounds in regions?

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    I know Adamstown decided to forfeit two of their games against North Coast, however, could've done it when North Coast where in town (as others did), or change the other game that weekend (also as others did).
    Im not sure what you mean by play it when Nth Coast were in town?Nth Coast play 2 games in a day or stay overnight?The issue I had was a lack of communication when fixtures were due.The NPL draw last year came out around new year I think which gave everyone plenty of time to work out road trips/overnight stays etc.Not everyone has a monday to friday 9-5 job.People on rosters,business owners,on call professions etc dont have the luxury of clicking their fingers one or 2 weeks in advance to clear schedules.Our club certainly had very little idea when each stage was due to be played and the opponent and I cant blame either NNSW or the club as I dont know.But going forward having set dates laid out for the whole program is the perfect solution.If that means keeping it to just Newcastle/Lake Mac and Hunter to save these travel issues then even better.Plenty of good ideas being floated around (bringing NPL Div A teams in later rounds etc).I liked the idea of the knockout tournament but didnt rate the orgaising.Again I dont see anything but genuine feedback on here that hopefully NNSW take a look at it might make things even better for next years version of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    Im not sure what you mean by play it when Nth Coast were in town?Nth Coast play 2 games in a day or stay overnight?The issue I had was a lack of communication when fixtures were due.The NPL draw last year came out around new year I think which gave everyone plenty of time to work out road trips/overnight stays etc.Not everyone has a monday to friday 9-5 job.People on rosters,business owners,on call professions etc dont have the luxury of clicking their fingers one or 2 weeks in advance to clear schedules.Our club certainly had very little idea when each stage was due to be played and the opponent and I cant blame either NNSW or the club as I dont know.But going forward having set dates laid out for the whole program is the perfect solution.If that means keeping it to just Newcastle/Lake Mac and Hunter to save these travel issues then even better.Plenty of good ideas being floated around (bringing NPL Div A teams in later rounds etc).I liked the idea of the knockout tournament but didnt rate the orgaising.Again I dont see anything but genuine feedback on here that hopefully NNSW take a look at it might make things even better for next years version of it.
    Not to mention kids in u16 and u18 age bracket with part time jobs. Hard to arrange work availability when knockout games get thrown up at short notice. My eldest had to miss a few games during preseason and knockout due to late notice. Don't think he ever played a game during spare weekend due to various byes.

Im not sure what you mean by play it when Nth Coast were in town?Nth Coast play 2 games in a day or stay overnight?
    Happened two weeks ago and neither of the match days were for cup games.

Our club certainly had very little idea when each stage was due to be played and the opponent and I cant blame either NNSW or the club as I dont know.But going forward having set dates laid out for the whole program is the perfect solution.
    I remember you saying you were under the impression that Round 2 was meant to be played the following weekend, I do know our club told us what weekends were booked in at the start of the season, we all knew the following weekend was a washout weekend and that Round 2 was to be played on the weekend between end of Div1 and the first week of the second phase.

The clubs should be telling parents the set dates that were laid out, because these were obviously available to people.

Who the opponent is, I recognise will be unknown until later in the piece and isn't the clubs fault but can't be done till after the first round.

Northern may be more organised next time, and should just ensure all games are played on the weekend or as soon as possible after, so the draw can be done quickly and give people more time to organise.

I felt the cup comp was a shambles. Good idea but but inviting every team who felt like it then not turning up or getting smacked by 20 is a waste of time.

Maybe run a cup (div 1) and plate (div 2).
    12 teams play a total 6 matches on a Saturday, with the 6 winners playing 3 games on the Sunday (same weekend) with a 4th game made up of best performed 2 losers (in case of multi teams being equal, then a hat draw for the last two teams). Play this round half way through the first part of the season.
    At the point the comp breaks into 3 groups play the semi on Saturday and the final on Sunday. Use either the LMRFF or grounds where two fields are available nearby (eg Adamstown/Olympic, Magic/Jaffas, South Cardiff 1/2, Kahibah 1/2). Teams tht are not required on the semi/final weekend can either play any weather affected catch up games, arrnage their own trials or have a weekend off.
    Minimises season disruption, cup and a plate reduce the blowouts, provides a break between the Div 1 and 2 grading proccess and the Group A,B and C competition.
    Last edited by Hunter403; 15-09-2023 at 12:24 PM.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Tactical master class from Jaffas 13s Coach.👏

Putting your right back for those 90 seconds in the first half is great development and fosters a life long love of the game. Bravo

#dEvELopMEnt

Quote Originally Posted by TopCorner View Post
    Tactical master class from Jaffas 13s Coach.��

Putting your right back for those 90 seconds in the first half is great development and fosters a life long love of the game. Bravo

#dEvELopMEnt
    See that happen at all top 4 teams. Did he get more minutes in other games? Was he injured? Edgy do it to 1 or 2 as do magic.

Semi's time is for the guns to shine. Your "development" is also reading that you may need to improve in certain areas or move on.

Take a tissue in the meantime.

Tactical master class from Jaffas 13s Coach.👏

#dEvELopMEnt
    Jaffas are one of the most ruthless clubs when it comes to this stuff.They are also one of the most successful because they recruit hard and results are expected (I dont have a problem with any of it).Maybe ask your kid if he wants to play 80mins every game at a weaker team or get limited opportunities at a top team.If hes only playing 90 seconds in a final hes probably already been replaced for next year anyway.Just to note,Jaffas won the game so the coach seems like a genius I guess.

.If hes only playing 90 seconds in a final hes probably already been replaced for next year anyway.Just to note,Jaffas won the game so the coach seems like a genius I guess.
    Would rather be a genius at developing and retaining kids than getting results and releasing them

Jog on SadDad 🙄

Would rather be a genius at developing and retaining kids than getting results and releasing them

Jog on SadDad 🙄
    Not really sure what the 'jog on' comment was about but theres plenty of opportunites for kids to get great coaching and be involved in teams that are all about the long term.Jaffas isnt one of those clubs and most everyone in NPL knows it.If the events of today was your first experience with it then thats fine but just know thats how it is at some clubs and they wont change it just to suit you.Sorry if you find that offensive and feel the need to insult me with your reply.

Tactical master class from Jaffas 13s Coach.��

#dEvELopMEnt
    I feel sorry for the boy, but as others have said, that is the way it is at some clubs. Also, as others have said, it would appear that he is not in favour at Jaffas. When my son was there they made the GF and one lad sat on the bench for the whole match and didn't get 1 second on the pitch.

Take the lad to another PYL club. There are about 20 to choose from, many close to Lambton. I am sure that he would find a spot where he will be appreciated and where he would enjoy his football.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

PYL Youth League Semi Finals results

Group C
    13s
    NIAS 6 def Singo 1
    14s
    NIAS vs Cessnock (result not known)
    15s
    NIAS 1(5) def Westy 1(4)
    16s
    Thornton 3 def Cessnock 0
    18's
    Kahibah 3 def Wallsend 1

Group B
    13s
    Lake 6 def Belswand 0
    14s
    Lake 3 def Cookers 1
    15s
    New Lambton 2 def Lake 1
    16s
    Southy 2 def Belswans 1
    18s
    Adamstown 4 def Lakes 2

Group A
    13s
    Jaffas 3 def Olympic 2
    14s
    Weston 0(5) def Maitland 0(4)
    15s
    North Coast 2 def Magic 0
    16s
    Edgy 0(11) def Magic 0(10)
    18s
    North Coast 2 def Jaffas 1

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    PYL Youth League Semi Finals results

Group C
    13s
    NIAS 6 def Singo 1
    14s
    NIAS vs Cessnock (result not known)
    15s
    NIAS 1(5) def Westy 1(4)
    16s
    Thornton 3 def Cessnock 0
    18's
    Kahibah 3 def Wallsend 1

Group B
    13s
    Lake 6 def Belswand 0
    14s
    Lake 3 def Cookers 1
    15s
    New Lambton 2 def Lake 1
    16s
    Southy 2 def Belswans 1
    18s
    Adamstown 4 def Lakes 2

Group A
    13s
    Jaffas 3 def Olympic 2
    14s
    Weston 0(5) def Maitland 0(4)
    15s
    North Coast 2 def Magic 0
    16s
    Edgy 0(11) def Magic 0(10)
    18s
    North Coast 2 def Jaffas 1
    Rough season for Broadmeadow. No minor premiers or teams in grand finals.

Magic parents tell me v.poor development culture in 13 and 14 age group. 15 and 16 headings backwards after success in younger ages. 18 age not good enough to move into seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    I Take the lad to another PYL club. There are about 20 to choose from, many close to Lambton. I am sure that he would find a spot where he will be appreciated and where he would enjoy his football.
    I hope so. Just for clarity this isn?t my kid. I?m not a parent who feels his kid is hard done by.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    15 and 16 headings backwards after success in younger ages.
    Think you'll find Magic 15s were pretty dominant first 2 years,this year several players have been pushed up to 16s to help their development.It has certainly weakened both teams in terms of results,but is much better for the individual players.I cant speak on 13s and 14s.Magic 16s still made the cup final where they lost to a quality Olympic team.There are 4 really strong teams in 16s this year which is great for the comp but im not convinced its because Magic have gone backwards.

Think you'll find Magic 15s were pretty dominant first 2 years, this year several players have been pushed up to 16s to help their development. It has certainly weakened both teams in terms of results, but is much better for the individual players. I cant speak on 13s and 14s.Magic 16s still made the cup final where they lost to a quality Olympic team. There are 4 really strong teams in 16s this year which is great for the comp but im not convinced its because Magic have gone backwards.
    Disagree. Magic have gone backwards. The culture is a big part of that. You can ask around. Playing kids up isnt that big a deal. Happens at all clubs. Not saying that only this club has these issues either.

But agree that other clubs have become stronger. So many reasons from recruitment to coaches moving etc. Creates a better comp for everyone

Its one big constant revolving football bubble. Everyone looking to get their child into best place for their own success. 99.9% end up playing local league anyway.

Jaffas are one of the most ruthless clubs when it comes to this stuff.They are also one of the most successful because they recruit hard and results are expected (I dont have a problem with any of it).Maybe ask your kid if he wants to play 80mins every game at a weaker team or get limited opportunities at a top team.If hes only playing 90 seconds in a final hes probably already been replaced for next year anyway.Just to note,Jaffas won the game so the coach seems like a genius I guess.
    You obviously didnt see Magic and Olympic over the last 15 years. Jaffas have only started to match their recruitment you idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Disagree. Magic have gone backwards. The culture is a big part of that. You can ask around. Playing kids up isnt that big a deal. Happens at all clubs. Not saying that only this club has these issues either.

But agree that other clubs have become stronger. So many reasons from recruitment to coaches moving etc. Creates a better comp for everyone

Its one big constant revolving football bubble. Everyone looking to get their child into best place for their own success. 99.9% end up playing local league anyway.
    Agree Justme - and only a very small % of that 99.9 progress through to even 1st grade NPL level.