Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Premier Youth League

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Deadline day was 17 days ago so players can't move till next season I will say it will be about the same amount of movement as always. Let's not pretend that plenty of clubs, coaches, players, TDs, parents weren't out looking to switch clubs each year.
    Sorry,yes I was talking about movement for 2024.The top clubs will be fine,but its the middle tier whos players wont know if they are starting next year in the 1st or 2nd division.I wonder how many will want to signal a move so early.Ive seen plenty of coaches and TDs carry on once they know players wish to trial elsewhere.

Some good match ups for the next round of the cup, though I think our game of 2nd Vs 3rd (after we already had to knock out 1st) really should be the final and not the quarter final but #magicofthecup I guess.

Some good match ups for the next round of the cup, though I think our game of 2nd Vs 3rd (after we already had to knock out 1st) really should be the final and not the quarter final but #magicofthecup I guess.
    Interesting that some clubs appear to have disseminated fixture information to parents before a draw video has been put up online. The draw video was a good way of demonstrating transparency for the first few rounds, it has appeared to go by the wayside for this round however.
    Not a shot at any individual or club, but I would have thought it would be far better to have the opportunity to hear from Northern themselves regarding upcoming opponents, rather than friends in other clubs informing us about our upcoming fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by northern_swan View Post
    Interesting that some clubs appear to have disseminated fixture information to parents before a draw video has been put up online. The draw video was a good way of demonstrating transparency for the first few rounds, it has appeared to go by the wayside for this round however.
    Not a shot at any individual or club, but I would have thought it would be far better to have the opportunity to hear from Northern themselves regarding upcoming opponents, rather than friends in other clubs informing us about our upcoming fixture.
    Northern sent an email with all the fixtures to the clubs. Maybe the club is waiting for a fixture date before letting you know
    Last edited by BS detecor; 25-07-2023 at 12:30 PM.

Really got to speak to your club about not informing players, the coach sent a message out to the team this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    Northern sent an email with all the fixtures to the clubs. Maybe the club is waiting for a fixture date before letting you know
    Really got to speak to your club about not informing players, the coach sent a message out to the team this morning.
    Perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough in my last post. With the preceding rounds, Northern livestreamed the draw and made a real effort to hype up the tournament. For the kids (and some parents) it was a source of interest & created a buzz to watch through who had who etc.
    This time it was a little anticlimactic, given in our personal circumstance we found out last night from a friend in the team who had been drawn against my son's team. Obviously some clubs will be quicker at disseminating information to others, given the nature of volunteerism and that's fine.
    I was just saying I guess that it sucks that some have the info & not others, when everyone had access to it at the same time in the previous rounds, thats all.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough in my last post. With the preceding rounds, Northern livestreamed the draw and made a real effort to hype up the tournament. For the kids (and some parents) it was a source of interest & created a buzz to watch through who had who etc.
    This time it was a little anticlimactic, given in our personal circumstance we found out last night from a friend in the team who had been drawn against my son's team. Obviously some clubs will be quicker at disseminating information to others, given the nature of volunteerism and that's fine.
    I was just saying I guess that it sucks that some have the info & not others, when everyone had access to it at the same time in the previous rounds, thats all.
    Welcome to nnsw football. Info travels from the inner circles out. Most info i get is from parents from other clubs. Pretty sure they help run our club.
    I can't believe we have a local youth cup comp at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwest View Post
    I can't believe we have a local youth cup comp at all.
    Agreed. Or if we must have it, when you lose, you are out. The loser vs loser rounds were not popular with the coaches that I spoke to. I know the team that I coach didn't see the point of it and neither did our opponents. We went through the motions like a training game. All were worried about injuries in an unwanted game.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Fancy not wanting to play additional games or give players a different format of competition. Is a "training game" the excuse you're given for the second round result? In the wrong profession if you think more games for developing kids is a bad thing.

Wow? Piers Morgan is that you?

I personally think the concepts for the pre season and cups should be swapped over.

Knockout format for pre season with games mid week or later afternoons and nights for weekends. Teams get knocked out, they can then arrange trial games between themselves. Winners keep playing for the pre season cup and ends before season starts.

Mid season cup to be group format which will allow certainty of how many games and when they are played. Winner or top 2 from each group then play finals.

They say don't feed the troll, but I'll respond.
    Happy to play any game that provides a learning experience. The result means nothing to me so I don't need excuses. What matters is the learning experience. The fact that you think it's about results shows me that you shouldn't be in the youth coaching profession.
    What did anyone get from such a one sided match? Losing by 10 or more goals, being so outclassed that getting out of your own half was not possible, or from the other team's perspective, not having your defence tested and where your goal keeper doesn't get a touch. Pointless activity and the opposing coach agreed.
    Different format? Just another 80 minute game. Nothing different about the format or rules.

I don't think more games is a bad thing but they must be appropriate games the allow Development fir all participants.

Maybe they learnt what the level they should be striving for is. It?s up to the coach to teach learnable moments, if they are being told it?s a ridiculous game and they have no chance then of course they will lose by 10. I?m only assuming that they are a second division team and not a community junior side. Maitland juniors u15 only lost 3-0 to an npl side and Southy 16s beat Valo so upsets can happen

Who said anything about it being about results? And it certainly is a different format, knockout tournaments are different to a league, group stage then knockout is also different. What a weird response. As BS said if the coach went in thinking it is just a pointless game and we can't get anything from it of course the players will respond in term. Small team thinking

Who said anything about it being about results? And it certainly is a different format, knockout tournaments are different to a league, group stage then knockout is also different. What a weird response. As BS said if the coach went in thinking it is just a pointless game and we can't get anything from it of course the players will respond in term. Small team thinking
    You did: " Is a "training game" the excuse you're given for the second round result?"
    As I said, the result of a game is unimportant to me. It is important to the players, but not me. Development is what matters to me.
    I disagree on the format not being different. 5 a side is different. Shortened games is different. Sure, its a knockout but you lose and stay in. Still just another 80 minute game. Might be weird in your mind, but your are entitled to you opinion just as I am entitled to mine. I think that your view that one sided games are beneficial to the participants is weird. Each to their own.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Development is so important you don't want them playing more games. Makes sense.

Also you lost the round of the tournament you then moved into, and now you're out, you're not staying in.

Development is so important you don't want them playing more games. Makes sense.

Also you lost the round of the tournament you then moved into, and now you're out, you're not staying in.
    You misunderstand and I suspect deliberately so for the point of argument.
    More games are fine as long as they are beneficial. Lopsided matches are not. To quote NNSW Football "The NNSWF Premier Youth League has been designed to enhance the talented player pathway, enable more competitive football for young players and facilitate more games of best versus best and like versus like."
    If you want more games, and I do, then play 2 full rounds of the second part of the season (like vs like) rather than a cup comp that sees many teams eliminated or in lopsided games. Far better for player development.

Victoria splits it into 4 regions, and don't have promotion relegation until U21s
    May not be promotion releagtion..but at the start of each season they play round robin and are graded into 4 tiers for the rest of the season

You can check South Melbourne post re this process from a couple of months ago...they had teams from various ages groups placed in varying tiers from 1 to 4

Its almost half way through and Belswans look like they will make top 4 in Div B easily.Charlestown seem to have been given a huge break as well that may cause some grumbles if they go back up.

The lack of referees over the weekend was disappointing. Some games got three officials and some got none. Scheduling too many matches on one day? The junior Jets at home reducing the number of available refs? NNSW need to take a closer look at it.