Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Premier Youth League

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    Top 4 in all grades with most ages having a game in hand.They will be up next year which means at least 3 clubs who started the year in Div 1 will be not going back up.The player merry go round is only just getting started.Full credit to NNSW on this one theres a few clubs who need a real hard look at their youth setups.
    Yeah they will be going up, but if I am Belswans who just proved we are a club that should be in Div 1, how many of their own current players will they be dropping to make way for all these recently relegated kids? I wouldn't be getting rid of too many, they just showed the club they are better than the players from the 3 clubs going down.

As you say though a few clubs who need to have a look, they've been able to sit around comfortable for a long time. Credit to Lakes though for sorting out their issues just as the new system came in. See how long it can last for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Surely, if your clubs management insist on dropping players back to win, at the expense of other players, that?s a bit of a red flag to players and parents? And wouldn?t you think twice about going to a club like that?
    Its a good point and the counter to it is always that the teams doing this sort of stuff are teams that are usually in the finals.Most kids in the higher teams could be the best player on a lower team but would rather be on the fringes in a top 4 team and always be in the mix.If you are in a top 4 team then you have to be aware that theres always someone gunning for your spot.

I guess if winning when you're a teenager is more important than getting much more game time to aide your development to get into 1st grade then that's what you do. It is interesting to see. See many players who won a lot at youth level now struggling to make first grade and have had to jump around clubs. Something need to consider while looks like we will win everything and game time has been good, will it always be like that? To me rather move to another club if it looks like game time will be dropping, don’t get any better on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Yeah they will be going up, but if I am Belswans who just proved we are a club that should be in Div 1, how many of their own current players will they be dropping to make way for all these recently relegated kids? I wouldn't be getting rid of too many, they just showed the club they are better than the players from the 3 clubs going down.

As you say though a few clubs who need to have a look, they've been able to sit around comfortable for a long time. Credit to Lakes though for sorting out their issues just as the new system came in. See how long it can last for.
    Wonder if Charlestown will now solve that u16s problem for next year?

Now NPL is over how many NPL clubs not in finals will be dropping their young players down the grades.
    For semis onward at least you have to had played the majority of your games in that age group, the only exception is usually goalkeepers or having a fair amount of players out for injury. worth keeping note of... doesn't matter if its your designated age group or not.

My opinion but the Pre Season and Knock Out Cup and Plate competitions have been a valuable addition to the PYL seasons this year.

Added some value to rego fees and some great development opportunities. Well done NNSWF.

Extra games are always a good thing. Interesting to hear around the clubs that some clubs that hated the idea are now talking about how good it has been (maybe because their clubs are going well now playing like-for-like more often)

Still seems like there have been plenty of blow outs...still could be more like for like games if pro/rel was by team rather than club

Also enticement for talented players to stay at an underperforming club, if the team is decent

Quote Originally Posted by WOW2.0 View Post
    Still seems like there have been plenty of blow outs...still could be more like for like games if pro/rel was by team rather than club

Also enticement for talented players to stay at an underperforming club, if the team is decent
    Agree but this is an improvement on previous model.

Clubs are finding it difficult recruiting all the best players now due to movements from those that used to feed them.

Looks like a 3 team race to fill the final spot for Div A next year.New Lambton,Mid Coast and Lakes are safe,Belswans in 4th but could get pipped by Cooks Hill or Rosebuds.

An underperforming club with one decent team is still an under performing club, and the club needs to take a look at the underlying causes and issues.

Agree far from perfect but decoupling has raised the bar and you need to build programs to develop players across all grades to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCorner View Post
    My opinion but the Pre Season and Knock Out Cup and Plate competitions have been a valuable addition to the PYL seasons this year.

Added some value to rego fees and some great development opportunities. Well done NNSWF.
    Unsure how they have added extra value. They have been included as we are playing way less league games this year.

Rather they play 2 rounds of phase 2 then the Cup games. Has been a logistical nightmare for clubs, teams and northern. Northern have struggled to manage the cup comps which shows with the struggle to complete the Grand Finals.

After today's results it sounds like the teams playing in div 1 next year will be the div A teams plus

Lake Mac
    Mid Coast
    New Lambton
    Cooks Hill

Can anyone confirm?

Yes, I believe Cooks Hill's results against Charlestown, and Bellswans inability to get over Lakes sorted it

Would have been interesting to see Bellswans in the top tier

Quote Originally Posted by TopCorner View Post
    An underperforming club with one decent team is still an under performing club, and the club needs to take a look at the underlying causes and issues.
    I agree to...my main point is that a club needs some success to turn around their propsects (attracting better players and coaches)...if a team was judged on personal merit, it would give an opportunity to grow club level success out of that seed of a good, or couple of good teams I can only see a lift and shift of good teams now

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Forever View Post
    Unsure how they have added extra value. They have been included as we are playing way less league games this year.
    Much more competition games being played this year, not sure what you are on about.

Rather they play 2 rounds of phase 2 then the Cup games. Has been a logistical nightmare for clubs, teams and northern. Northern have struggled to manage the cup comps which shows with the struggle to complete the Grand Finals.
    The only reason why the Cup Grand Finals are out of whack is because Australia was playing in the Women's World Cup on the weekend when it was scheduled to be played. Only an issue once every 4 years.

Yes, I believe Cooks Hill's results against Charlestown, and Bellswans inability to get over Lakes sorted it

Would have been interesting to see Bellswans in the top tier
    I agree, though seems Belswans only missed out by two points, so always next year to bridge that gap.

Charlestown finishing 8th in club championship will make it interesting to see how that goes in terms of players staying and going. Though if I am a Div1 team why would you take large numbers of players of a relegated team

Much more competition games being played this year, not sure what you are on about.

The only reason why the Cup Grand Finals are out of whack is because Australia was playing in the Women's World Cup on the weekend when it was scheduled to be played. Only an issue once every 4 years.
    Unsure how you figure this out. Last years NPL Youth was 26 games. This year it's only 20 games. Not even Knockout Comp makes up the difference. Maitland u16 are perfect example of this. Lost 1st round in penalty shootout. Then had byes all the way through until semi final which they won.

Was all out of whack before the Grand Finals. See point above, how does a team play round 1 and then have byes through to a semi final. Number of clubs have forfeited as well due to schedule issues or not bothered with it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a knockout comp across all the youth divisions. Just not confident that Northern can run it successfully with not all teams having teams and the area they cover.

Funny you mentioned Maitland U16s, they have played 26 games this year. Would've been 27 had Charlestown been able to sort themselves out. Though I wouldn't blame Northern for Charlestown being a basket case.

Maitland 16s also have their plate final tomorrow so that gets them to 27 games, plus they made finals so 28 games (29 if they make the grand final).

Of course those that performed well in cups get more, those that don't would at most get 25 games, those in Div 2 got at least 27 games, except those missing a team where they got 26.

As for clubs forfeiting cup games (none where schedule issues) that's on the club for pulling out. There is an additional tournament going to start soon, different format (which others on here were saying there needs to be), though I understand only 1/3 of the clubs have decided to enter it others would rather just train.
    Last edited by Taffy; 12-09-2023 at 04:30 PM.

I understand some forfeits were due to scheduling. Eg. Play your league game Saturday afternoon in Newcastle, then plays in Coffs the next day, with a week notice.

The Cup is a great idea. Not sure how North Coast can play a part though due to travel requirements for all parties.