Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Premier Youth League

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    If you don't know when was the last time they played, don't answer.

I do know that this weekend wasn't the first time the Magic team kicked a ball together either.

Not that the score matters, I remember the Jets U15s losing to CCU this time last year by double digits. Yet they finished 2nd in their comp.
    I think the score matters when you are the representative team for the area and lose to CCU by double digits though... that must have raised some concerns early on!

They did come 2nd but the comps down there aren't generally a whitewash either. there was 9 points between them going up and staying in 2 next season. 3 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    I think the score matters when you are the representative team for the area and lose to CCU by double digits though... that must have raised some concerns early on!

They did come 2nd but the comps down there aren't generally a whitewash either. there was 9 points between them going up and staying in 2 next season. 3 wins.
    I'd argue about being the representative team for the area. I know the best kids from the area should be in the club but they aren't some are playing for Mariners, some play local. Same with the NPL boys, there are players that are as good as the top boys in those league but don't play in the NPL.

Regardless, the point is that a loss in November hardly means it's all doom and gloom. NPL2 in Sydney is a tough comp and generally better quality than up here so the Jets being promoted and the 15s finishing 2nd is a good achievement and shows that an early pre-season loss means **** all. I see CCU 15s came 6th in the comp 15 points behind 15s Jets

Nice to hear about the Jets but they are not part of the Premier Youth League
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

I have a question about coaching at JDL level (sorry if it's not the right topic): what is a reasonable expectation for a JDL coach in the u10-u12 range?
    Is it acceptable (or accepted) for it to be "just" a parent, passionate about the game but not necessarily qualified as a football coach?
    Are there any requirements in terms of qualifications (courses, certificates, etc.)
    Are there any guidelines from NNSW?
    Can anyone share their experiences with coaches in this age bracket?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
    I have a question about coaching at JDL level (sorry if it's not the right topic): what is a reasonable expectation for a JDL coach in the u10-u12 range?
    Is it acceptable (or accepted) for it to be "just" a parent, passionate about the game but not necessarily qualified as a football coach?
    Are there any requirements in terms of qualifications (courses, certificates, etc.)
    Cheers
    Being a parent is ok at that age but most clubs now prefer independent coaches for 13s and up.There is a basic JDL course that i think may still be required but nothing more.A lot of clubs encourage coaches at JDL level to get their C license which isnt everything but if you are inexperienced it will at least provide you with some good guidelines as well as start relationships with mentors and other coaches who you should be listening to.You absolutely need to be a good communicator.The drills and guidelines for JDL arent overly technical,but the more you explain the drills to kids and get them to understand what you are doing the more success you will have with the kids.You also need to be able to deal with a fair bit of feedback from parents.99% of them just have their kids best interests at heart,but there will be conversations that are uncomfortable and you need to be able to deal with it.Its a huge commitment from a time standpoint,and you are expected to be there for all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
    Cheers
    Nothing wrong with Dads at this age. The vast majority of coaches at JDL have their child in the team.

This year a coach without the Skills Training Certificate will not be allowed on the touchline without being alongside an appropriately qualified person.

C License is recommended/required for some clubs but isn't essential until NPL Youth.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Anyone know anything about u17 players now allowed to play u16 next year?

Adamstown had post on Facebook about it.

Curious to know why?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Forever View Post
    Anyone know anything about u17 players now allowed to play u16 next year?

Adamstown had post on Facebook about it.

Curious to know why?
    Only allowed if RAE, used to stop at U15

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Only allowed if RAE, used to stop at U15
    What is RAE?

Relative Age Exception or something? I think it is called Biological Maturation now.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    Relative Age Exception or something? I think it is called Biological Maturation now.
    From the post it sounds like the regulations have changed because it was calling for ANY NPL and NL1 17s who didnt make an 18s squad can now play back.It didnt mention anything about exemptions,sounded like theres new rules.

Looks like the post has been amended.

Looks like the post has been amended.
    Posts been removed now.

Nothing wrong with Dads at this age. The vast majority of coaches at JDL have their child in the team.

This year a coach without the Skills Training Certificate will not be allowed on the touchline without being alongside an appropriately qualified person.

C License is recommended/required for some clubs but isn't essential until NPL Youth.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    Being a parent is ok at that age but most clubs now prefer independent coaches for 13s and up.There is a basic JDL course that i think may still be required but nothing more.A lot of clubs encourage coaches at JDL level to get their C license which isnt everything but if you are inexperienced it will at least provide you with some good guidelines as well as start relationships with mentors and other coaches who you should be listening to.You absolutely need to be a good communicator.The drills and guidelines for JDL arent overly technical,but the more you explain the drills to kids and get them to understand what you are doing the more success you will have with the kids.You also need to be able to deal with a fair bit of feedback from parents.99% of them just have their kids best interests at heart,but there will be conversations that are uncomfortable and you need to be able to deal with it.Its a huge commitment from a time standpoint,and you are expected to be there for all of it.
    Thank you for the insight

How did Wallsend go with their last chance call for players?
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    How did Wallsend go with their last chance call for players?
    Have heard they have sent an email to parents saying NNSWF revoked their youth license and will not be fielding teams this year.

in 2022 13s last, 15s 3rd last, and not having 14s or 16s so dropping out is no change really.

Wonder how tronno will fair with their 1 grade of youth?

Not sure at all how it will affect the youth league format if Wallsend and maybe Toronto & Singo are not able to field all teams?

NL1 Youth may only have 7 teams (NIAS, Belswans, Kahibah, West Wallsend, Thornton, Southy, Cessnock) to start the season?

Why aren’t these clubs removed from the competition if they can’t run youth programs, it’s definitely not an even playing field for the other clubs

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    Why aren’t these clubs removed from the competition if they can’t run youth programs, it’s definitely not an even playing field for the other clubs
    Maybe there are too many teams not enough kids to fill these teams, 12 teams in NPL that's say 20 players/team, 240 kids/age group? also take out the top 20/age who go to the jets.
    are there enough talented kids to fill these spots, then add another 200 from NL1 teams?

Maybe NPL should be the only team with youth or apply, the rest go back to community football.

just a thought...