Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Premier Youth League

Quote Originally Posted by Oldy View Post
    Not an insult. You are a crybaby who loses the plot when things need a bit of thought.

Clubs make it work. Parents have a brain and can make it work.
    We have cars and spend money on useless crap everyday this is easily doable.

Maybe you also need to grow up and not pretend that every thing is too hard.
    With more insults. I noticed you didn't answer my question.

Also you should actually read my comments before having a tantrum, I gave possible reasons why Northern followed the Sydney model.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Going to be interesting for club budgets over the next few years. With the youth comp being all in together with promotion and relegation it is going to be hard for clubs to justify $2000 plus fees when others in the same comp can charge less than $1000.
    Should be mandatory for all clubs to publish their youth and SAP/JDL fees in advance of the next season, the number of training sessions as well, etc...let consumers know what they are "buying"

Quote Originally Posted by WOW2.0 View Post
    Should be mandatory for all clubs to publish their youth and SAP/JDL fees in advance of the next season, the number of training sessions as well, etc...let consumers know what they are "buying"
    That proposal has been put to NNSWF in the past and they have declined the opportunity to do it. It would be a great initiative.

If parents want to know they can always ask and clubs generally tell players when they provide the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    If parents want to know they can always ask and clubs generally tell players when they provide the offer.
    Bit late for some when they get “the offer”.
    Have heard clubs doing the ol’ “pay now or next on the list gets your spot”.

But yeh, most should be able to give you a run down pre-trial if you can get in contact with the right person.
    Making it available would be the easiest thing for everyone tbh.
    Maybe a good way for some “lesser” clubs to get in some good youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Bit late for some when they get ?the offer?.
    Have heard clubs doing the ol? ?pay now or next on the list gets your spot?.
    They don't have to accept the offer. And they can always ask, if the club refuses to say tell them they train two nights a week on Monday and Thursday, total fee is $1,000 and that training starts in November then their refusal is all you need to know about the club and leave.

But yeh, most should be able to give you a run down pre-trial if you can get in contact with the right person.
    Making it available would be the easiest thing for everyone tbh.
    Maybe a good way for some ?lesser? clubs to get in some good youth.
    Potentially, that parents are happy to take their kids to Magic and remain there for $1,600/year for JDL means they probably don't care about all that.

Coaches and TD's love nothing more than parents putting requirements on clubs before their easily replaceable kid will accept.The offer is the offer,the price is the price.Parents dont get a say.Im not saying whether thats fair or not,but thats the way it is.

Premier Youth League Prices for this season, that I am aware of, (I have simply asked people whose kids play at the clubs or club officials) range from $950 (including clothing) to $2200 (including clothing). Training regimes range from twice a week, to 5 nights per fortnight to 3 nights per week, although twice per week is the norm. Some clubs started in the last quarter of last year and some came back after Xmas. Some clubs include gym visits and tailored pre season programmes (this was the cheapest club). Most include Veo recordings available for review. All offer C licence coaches.
    Clothing packages ranged from match day and training kits plus tracksuits, club shirt and spray jackets, to match day kit and club shirt only.
    Surprisingly, the cheapest club offered the most in clothing, pre season programme and gym visits, They also provide at no cost wet weather training on artificial pitches.
    Overall, the range of costs is not, in my opinion, justified by what is offered. The overall experience is not that different from club to club.
    Some will argue that you get better coaches at the "bigger" clubs, but are they? Or do they just benefit from the better kids being there? I have seen some very poor coaches at NPL and some great ones in NL1. Far harder to coach less talented players.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    Coaches and TD's love nothing more than parents putting requirements on clubs before their easily replaceable kid will accept.The offer is the offer,the price is the price.Parents dont get a say.Im not saying whether thats fair or not,but thats the way it is.
    Is it really that bad to ask what days training will be and how much is rego?

Is it really that bad to ask what days training will be and how much is rego?
    No,not at all.My point is that parents who want something different from what the club is offering are in for a very short conversation,especially if they want to criticize where the money goes.

The overall experience is not that different from club to club.
    As a parent of a current NPL youth player,who came through JDL and has many many friends who have done the same, I can guarantee you first hand that the experience is way different from club to club.I agree with you that being at the best club doesnt always provide the best coach,or the best facilities,or the best opportunites.But a lot of kids and parents will sacrifice that stuff for short term gains (wins).I also agree that NL1 has some fantastic players,coaches and clubs.I would recommend anyone that isnt happy at their current situation to explore every available opportunity as there is a wide range of options out there.I think threads like these can be important for anyone out there who is at a good club to advertise it and promote it.If that then drives players,coaches and sponsors their way then thats a good thing.

As a parent of a current NPL youth player,who came through JDL and has many many friends who have done the same, I can guarantee you first hand that the experience is way different from club to club.
    That's interesting. I have had one son in an NPL club (a strong one) and one at a NL1 club and I have coached premiership winning teams at both levels. I'm still coaching in the PYL today. The clubs I have been involved with personally did things much the same way in regards to gear, training etc, etc. The only real difference was that the NL1 clubs that I have been involved with showed greater overall interest in the kids than the NPL club. Retention based on loyalty also stronger in the NL1 clubs from my experience. Of course, I can't speak for all clubs but when it comes to the amount of training, clothing/gear, qualified coaches etc, but I don't see how there can be a huge difference in the way they do things day to day.

Perhaps it is attitude of the clubs that is the big variation??

I guess the point I am making is that what you get for $2200 is not $1250 better than what you get for $950. If one club can do it for that amount, so can others.
    Last edited by Hunter403; 19-04-2023 at 04:20 PM.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Thats what I think.

The only real difference was that the NL1 clubs that I have been involved with showed greater overall interest in the kids than the NPL club. Retention based on loyalty also stronger in the NL1 clubs from my experience.
    Probably true more interest for Div 2 teams in their kids the Div 1 teams know they can just get another good player so who cares. Why they can also charge twice as much because people will pay it.

Wonder if you could draw a link between the fee differences, and the success of their first graders

Fees funding that success, parents attracted to that success also helping justify the higher prices, believing, often incorrectly, that there is a link between between the levels...then, as above, attracting the better kids means you're more likely to win games, and winning can easily be mistaken for development of course.

(I admit, it's why I chose our first SAP club...thinking 1st grade success meant developmental success along the chain)

Wonder if you could draw a link between the fee differences, and the success of their first graders

Fees funding that success, parents attracted to that success also helping justify the higher prices, believing, often incorrectly, that there is a link between between the levels...then, as above, attracting the better kids means you're more likely to win games, and winning can easily be mistaken for development of course.
    I think this is a really good way to look at it.Another 5-10 years and you will also be able to see how many kids make it all the way through to senior football from JDL.It will be interesting to see if clubs get the benefit of the finished product of if recruiting will always trump development.

I think this is a really good way to look at it.Another 5-10 years and you will also be able to see how many kids make it all the way through to senior football from JDL.It will be interesting to see if clubs get the benefit of the finished product of if recruiting will always trump development.
    That comes down to the club ethos really if they keep them. But across the board how many come through JDL and Youth to be playing 1st grade at any club. Plenty of clubs develop players but will always favour a ready now reserve grade player over an 18yo who will be ready in 2 years. But the current JDL product the first kids are only in U14, do need to wait a few more years to see that cohort no longer able to play youth. Same with the PYL, really need to give it 5 years to see if it is good for the game or not.

Some interesting match ups. Not sure about individual community teams and so the club they come up against all get through to Round 2. But then again NIAS., Wallsend and Charlestown all aren't fielding full teams either. So whoever gets them go through to Round 2 in those age groups.

That's interesting. I have had one son in an NPL club (a strong one) and one at a NL1 club and I have coached premiership winning teams at both levels. I'm still coaching in the PYL today. The clubs I have been involved with personally did things much the same way in regards to gear, training etc, etc. The only real difference was that the NL1 clubs that I have been involved with showed greater overall interest in the kids than the NPL club. Retention based on loyalty also stronger in the NL1 clubs from my experience. Of course, I can't speak for all clubs but when it comes to the amount of training, clothing/gear, qualified coaches etc, but I don't see how there can be a huge difference in the way they do things day to day.

I guess the point I am making is that what you get for $2200 is not $1250 better than what you get for $950. If one club can do it for that amount, so can others.
    Ive found generally that the lower the club the more emphasis on creating a nice environment for the player this is mainly for player retention & club longevity.
    exceptions maybe Cooks Hill New Lambton but lets see how their % retention goes now they are in top division.
    No club is perfect and all go through periods of decline at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newysports2.0 View Post
    The name is obviously a pisstake if you can’t tell
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    the pisstake is on, who would call themselves after a pedo.....

That comes down to the club ethos really if they keep them. But across the board how many come through JDL and Youth to be playing 1st grade at any club. Plenty of clubs develop players but will always favour a ready now reserve grade player over an 18yo who will be ready in 2 years. But the current JDL product the first kids are only in U14, do need to wait a few more years to see that cohort no longer able to play youth. Same with the PYL, really need to give it 5 years to see if it is good for the game or not.
    From the clubs i know around 85% of JDL kids are playing PYL or NL1 from the 1st 2 years of full JDL.

In the top division single Club youth development is mainly a myth.
    A large majority change clubs once or more between 9s to 16s. Being cut, moving house, hating coaches, following coaches, disgruntled parents, losing interest, joining mates, stupid rego fees, injury, not being valued shows how easy it is to make a move elsewhere.
    These kids develop from several clubs and filter into the system like they always have.
    By the 16s clubs will take just about anyone just to fill the squads.
    In fact anyone who stays at the same JDL PYL NPL club would be unique.

As far as skill level goes, IMO the technical level is definitely better than the past but not sure about about physical athletic level which may have been better in decades past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newysports2.0 View Post
    The name is obviously a pisstake if you can’t tell
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    the pisstake is on, who would call themselves after a pedo.....