Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Premier Youth League

Quote Originally Posted by northern_swan View Post
    I agree the outcome hasn?t been as intended by northern. However I think the concept has merit.

Perhaps next year they could look at an England FA cup style concept where different levels of teams are brought in progressively.
    Eg, community teams could play a/some rounds (depending on entries), then the tier 2 clubs come in, then the tier 1 come in towards the end.

The whole concept falls down however when a club forfeits every age group when drawn away to a regional club as happened this year.

Another option may be entering the zones community rep teams (the ones that went to Tamworth) to give that initiative more merit, as opposed to community teams, though I note Medowie were comfortable winners over Singleton in the 14s Plate.

All in all, I?m not normally a big fan of many things northern does, but in this instance I applaud them for trying something new
    Not a bad shout, but yes this gives something different for our kids to play in a different environment and tournament. Pre-Season Cup gave the kids the environment to play a group stage and then potentially finals, the league gives them the promotion relegation, then just a league to make finals and now the mid season cup is a good knock-out experience. Additional competition matches is a good things

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Just interesting that some clubs seem to get favours while we have to travel up to Coffs multiple times. Luck of the draw or just how Northern fixed it?
    Didn?t edgy have a bye in the first round of the knockout? I mean everyone knows the club will find any excuse to have a whinge but this is clutching even for them

Just interesting that some clubs seem to get favours while we have to travel up to Coffs multiple times. Luck of the draw or just how Northern fixed it?
    These are the type of comments that put a stain on football, all the mums and dads have a conspiracy theory, sad but true.

There were no byes in the first round, Edgeworth played Warners Bay.

Not a bad shout, but yes this gives something different for our kids to play in a different environment and tournament. Pre-Season Cup gave the kids the environment to play a group stage and then potentially finals, the league gives them the promotion relegation, then just a league to make finals and now the mid season cup is a good knock-out experience. Additional competition matches is a good things
    Maybe the mid season cup should be based on the division. You will not convince me that an NPL side beating a NL1 side by 10 goals or more does any good for any player.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Maybe the mid season cup should be based on the division. You will not convince me that an NPL side beating a NL1 side by 10 goals or more does any good for any player.
    Prepares them for the Australia cup in a few years

While true, in terms of continuing developing players, it will help that in the top 8 and the bottom 8 almost all matches will now be tight and competitive, with like for like playing against each other, which means all kids will develop better and have something to go for and win.
    But it's not like for like at all, some good teams have been pulled down, and some pretty ordinary teams were kept safe...blow out scotelines will still happen, because they didn't make the promotion and releagtion team based, as opposed to club based

Quote Originally Posted by WOW2.0 View Post
    But it's not like for like at all, some good teams have been pulled down, and some pretty ordinary teams were kept safe...blow out scotelines will still happen, because they didn't make the promotion and releagtion team based, as opposed to club based
    Logistics was the argument behind the club championship.
    How to counter it;
    13, 15 and 18 play Saturday and 14 & 16 play Sunday. That solves the problem of kids not being able to standby for an older team if they are at different grounds.
    As for the benefits of home ground hosting being lost ($), just give clubs hosting duties. They get 5 games every two weeks. May be their own teams, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Logistics was the argument behind the club championship.
    How to counter it;
    13, 15 and 18 play Saturday and 14 & 16 play Sunday. That solves the problem of kids not being able to standby for an older team if they are at different grounds.
    As for the benefits of home ground hosting being lost ($), just give clubs hosting duties. They get 5 games every two weeks. May be their own teams, maybe not.
    I dont think Jaffas playing Edgeworth hosted in Coffs Harbour would be anyones idea of fair.It would also mean coaches and volunteers giving up both days of their weekends in order to host games.NIAS and Nth Coast would be doubling up on transport to service both days every 2 weeks.The club idea is the best way,it just is.I can maybe see 3 teams out of all the grades (out of approx 80) who can legitimately claim to be hard done by.They will never change the system for that small a number.As for poor teams being left in the top division,most grades have lopsided scorelines outside the top 4 anyway.

Victoria makes it work, promotion/relegation by team...no reason we couldn't...it also makes their system more legitimate IMO

3 teams in 80 hard done by, also means 3 teams being benefited unjustly...so 7.5% of "poor outcome"

Victoria makes it work, promotion/relegation by team...no reason we couldn't...it also makes their system more legitimate IMO
    Does Victoria or anyone else have to travel over 4 hours for a game of football - would be interested in seeing the distances covered in different states and how they manage.

Even in Sydney the range is about 2 hours max - maybe slightly more coming from south coast if CCU end up in a division with a south coast team - but that's not a given every single season depending on pro/rel - south coast games once in 30 rounds of football.

While true, shows clubs need to focus on their entire youth not just have one or two gun teams. Though there are big logistical issues with having promotion and relegation team based.

Hunter's counter point, still wouldn't work either. Because it is more than just being able to have kids play up, it includes ground availability, club resources to host on both days if they even are, may have 14s play Saturday at home and the 13s play Sunday but the 15s and 18s have to play away. It would be a big mess and cause more trouble than it is worth.

As SAPdad said the number of teams really screwed over by it you can count on one hand.

3 teams in 80 hard done by, also means 3 teams being benefited unjustly...so 7.5% of "poor outcome"
    Your math is bad.A team coming top 4 having to go down is hard done by.A team coming 10th staying up isnt unjust.Again,I saw only 3 teams.If you find more please let me know.

Victoria splits it into 4 regions, and don't have promotion relegation until U21s

Also theres a few clubs already out with expressions of interest for 2024.With the unknown of which division they'll be playing in I wonder how much player movement there will be this early on.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    Also theres a few clubs already out with expressions of interest for 2024.With the unknown of which division they'll be playing in I wonder how much player movement there will be this early on.
    There are already lots of phone calls being made

Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    There are already lots of phone calls being made
    And this year no one can blame RH for starting it
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Deadline day was 17 days ago so players can't move till next season I will say it will be about the same amount of movement as always. Let's not pretend that plenty of clubs, coaches, players, TDs, parents weren't out looking to switch clubs each year.

Not really all that unknown. The Group A teams will all be in the top 12. The Group C teams will be in the second 12. Looking at the table from the first part of this season should provide a pretty good indicator of which 4 will make the top half of next year from the current Group B. The spanner in the works will be just how well BelSwans and Southy go. I think Belswans might surprise but Southy won't. So for mine Weston and Lakes to go into the top half and probably joined by Adamstown and Charlestown or Belswans. This is of course ruling out an implosion behind the scenes at one of these clubs.

Here's hoping that NNSWF publish the fees each club charge for next season. That might cause a few to change clubs given the current economic climate. The current range runs from $950 to $2200 to be in the same comp, albeit in Div 1 or 2. Most clubs provide much of the same in gear, qualified coaches etc. The difference is the current crop of players that each have, the grade they currently play in and the perception that some clubs are "better" than others.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen