Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NPL Youth thread

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    maybe its best you aren't in this forum either if you are calling our youth pissants. find somewhere else to spread your gross opinion of kids.
    Not the kids, dopey. The competition.

I just find it laughable that we still have people belting the development angle and it doesn’t matter about winning or results.

Let’s face it clubs put KPIs on TDs to get results, once you’re in NPL land especially 14-16s results matter to the Kids, coaches and the Club.

If we’re not trying to win matches and develop winning mentality as part of a kids development are we just trying to develop our O35s competition because that’s the only time you hear people stop talking about development being the aim.

The top kids by 16s have been IDd and moved on into the relevant pathways. The rest are aiming for NPL locally

Quote Originally Posted by Take it easy View Post
    I just find it laughable that we still have people belting the development angle and it doesn’t matter about winning or results.

Let’s face it clubs put KPIs on TDs to get results, once you’re in NPL land especially 14-16s results matter to the Kids, coaches and the Club.

If we’re not trying to win matches and develop winning mentality as part of a kids development are we just trying to develop our O35s competition because that’s the only time you hear people stop talking about development being the aim.

The top kids by 16s have been IDd and moved on into the relevant pathways. The rest are aiming for NPL locally
    Spot on. It seems that to some you have to choose between development and winning. Winning is not a crime. It is the preferred outcome for all who play the game. This is why teams sing a victory song … not a development song.

I can’t believe people still miss the point about what development is. Of course every team goes out with the intention of winning the game. The difference is coaches who are solely focused on the result versus coaches who are trying to improve the skill level of the kids they are coaching. Both are trying to win. No kid has ever been IDd because their team won a game.

FMD. This is just stupid.

We've had 10 pages of saying why theres no fkg devolopment because on LOPSIDED games and results are just a part of that. Not only are kids not developing becuase of 10-0 wins and losses but they are not enjoying the game and leaving.

We need the 3 tiers just to stay competitive. Then the kids can develop on their terms at their level. Kids in NPL 1, 2, 3 are much more competitive due to separating abilities on the whole.
    Last edited by JustMe; 20-06-2022 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    I can’t believe people still miss the point about what development is. Of course every team goes out with the intention of winning the game.
    Nuh. many teams dont go out to win. They go out to reduce the loss because the comp is a joke.

Adamstown, cookers, Lake mac are deluded if they are going out to win v the top 4. They know it, parents know it, coaches know it.
    We use the lie of "development" to take the cash. truth.

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Nuh. many teams dont go out to win. They go out to reduce the loss because the comp is a joke.

Adamstown, cookers, Lake mac are deluded if they are going out to win v the top 4. They know it, parents know it, coaches know it.
    We use the lie of "development" to take the cash. truth.
    You can add Charlestown,Valentine,Edgeworth and Weston to that list as well in most youth grades.Its clear from the talk from some clubs that the results in 13s and 14s are minor compared to the bigger picture of breeding competitive 18s and up squads.Those squads start getting built somewhere,you dont just hold trials for 18s and these magical players appear out of nowhere.Its either that or continually recycle ex-NPL and A-League players in a never ending battle of the chequebooks.Which do you prefer?The fact is change is coming to the youth program and we should all just give it a go before slagging off the comp as a joke time after time.

Just for clarity,in 13s this year teams sitting 5th and 6th on the ladder at the moment (Olympic and Edgeworth) have taken a total of ZERO points combined in matches against the top 4.But i guarantee you theres plenty of potential senior grade players in those 2 squads.
    Last edited by sapdad; 20-06-2022 at 03:30 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    You can add Charlestown,Valentine,Edgeworth and Weston to that list as well in most youth grades.Its clear from the talk from some clubs that the results in 13s and 14s are minor compared to the bigger picture of breeding competitive 18s and up squads.Those squads start getting built somewhere,you dont just hold trials for 18s and these magical players appear out of nowhere.Its either that or continually recycle ex-NPL and A-League players in a never ending battle of the chequebooks.Which do you prefer?The fact is change is coming to the youth program and we should all just give it a go before slagging off the comp as a joke time after time.
    The current comp was the joke not the new changes.

Banned
    Just for clarity,in 13s this year teams sitting 5th and 6th on the ladder at the moment (Olympic and Edgeworth) have taken a total of ZERO points combined in matches against the top 4.But i guarantee you theres plenty of potential senior grade players in those 2 squads.
    Exactly. So having 8 teams would further strengthen 5th to 8th and so competing with the top 4. lightbulb moment.

Must not be to good at Olympic as last years coaches are back on their bench. I was at the game on the weekend and they have resorted to kicking long balls and that is not how Olympic teams have played over the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired01 View Post
    Must not be to good at Olympic as last years coaches are back on their bench. I was at the game on the weekend and they have resorted to kicking long balls and that is not how Olympic teams have played over the last few years.
    The biggest issue is that Olympic,Maitland and Magic all lost the most amount of talent to the Jets in 13's.All 3 of those clubs were at the top tier of JDL but now need to rebuild in a really short space of time.Magic managed it but the other two have suffered.Id say over time they will be fine but it is a massive reason why clubs shouldnt be solely judged on results (not saying you are,but others have).I applaud the clubs for understanding the situation and working towards a solution.

The biggest issue is that Olympic,Maitland and Magic all lost the most amount of talent to the Jets in 13's.All 3 of those clubs were at the top tier of JDL but now need to rebuild in a really short space of time.Magic managed it but the other two have suffered.Id say over time they will be fine but it is a massive reason why clubs shouldnt be solely judged on results (not saying you are,but others have).I applaud the clubs for understanding the situation and working towards a solution.
    Magic have an aggressive recruitment policy and replace quality as quick as they leave. It appears Olympic has missed the boat on there replacements.
    RH currently Jaffas has a similar recruitment style to Magic, Pretty sure he coached the latter at some point.
    And Maitland, well they are the the premier Hunter Youth club to be at which leaves Weston in the dog house.

Why has Maitland improved so much in the last couple years?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    The original proposal was as per the below - although it may have changed since:
    2023 Mid 2023 2024 Mid 2024
    Youth Division 1 Youth League A Youth Division 1 Youth League A
    NPL club 1 Division 1 1st League A 1st Division 1 1st
    NPL club 2 Division 1 2nd League A 2nd Division 1 2nd
    NPL club 3 Division 1 3rd League A 3rd Division 1 3rd
    NPL club 4 Division 1 4th League A 4th Division 1 4th
    NPL club 5 Division 1 5th League A 5th Division 1 5th
    NPL club 6 Division 1 6th League A 6th Division 1 6th
    NPL club 7 Division 1 7th League A 7th Division 1 7th
    NPL club 8 Division 1 8th League A 8th Division 1 8th
    NPL club 9 Youth League B League B 1st Youth League B
    NPL club 10 Division 1 9th League B 2nd Division 1 9th
    NPL club 11 Division 1 10th League B 3rd Division 1 10th
    NPL club 12 Division 1 11th League B 4th Division 1 11th
    NPL club 13 Division 1 12th Youth Division 2 Division 1 12th
    Youth Division 2 Division 1 13th League B 5th Division 2 1st
    NL club 1 Division 2 1st League B 6th Division 2 2nd
    NL club 2 Division 2 2nd League B 7th Division 2 3rd
    NL club 3 Division 2 3rd League B 8th Division 2 4th
    NL club 4 Youth League C League C 1st Youth League C
    NL club 5 Division 2 4th League C 2nd Division 2 5th
    NL club 6 Division 2 5th League C 3rd Division 2 6th
    NL club 7 Division 2 6th League C 4th Division 2 7th
    NL club 8 Division 2 7th League C 5th Division 2 8th
    NL club 9 Division 2 8th League C 6th Division 2 9th
    NL club 10 Division 2 9th League C 7th Division 2 10th
    NL club 11 Division 2 10th League C 8th Division 2 11th
    Division 2 11th Division 2 12th

So on and so forth
    The flaw in this system is the top NL1 team doesnt get a crack at the top NPL

Quote Originally Posted by terry View Post
    Yes they do. If they are in the top 4 youth league b from mid season. If they don’t do that then they shouldn’t be playing them. But I can already tell you how that will go. They will cop a flogging and the game will resort to bad tackles and unnecessary injuries. There’s a reason they weren’t grouped together for the youth cup last year.

Quote Originally Posted by terry View Post
    Pointless in year one anyway.For all the chest beating by some NL is nowhere near Magic.Next year onwards they will get a crack at the next level up from them(Charlestown/Valo),then following on they will see what its like taking on the top tier of NPL.They arent ready yet,so the kids just need to work their way up.To be completely fair a lot of people inside the club know it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldy View Post
    Magic have an aggressive recruitment policy and replace quality as quick as they leave. It appears Olympic has missed the boat on there replacements.
    RH currently Jaffas has a similar recruitment style to Magic, Pretty sure he coached the latter at some point.
    And Maitland, well they are the the premier Hunter Youth club to be at which leaves Weston in the dog house.

Why has Maitland improved so much in the last couple years?
    I think Magics 13s dont have too many new kids they had 2 quality JDL sides.Having kids already there makes a huge difference in year 1 from a teamwork perspective alone.Its no secret how RH runs the show at Jaffas and in his defence he can only offer the spot,its up to the kid and parents to go there.Once they are there then whatever happens is on them and they should all by now be aware how things are done over there.But his 13s are doing really well so good for them.Maitland had a reputation through JDL of having big physical kids but i give them way more credit than that.If you see their team this year theres as many midgets running around as there are giants.Once again it will take time for their teamwork to come together but im sure it will.Its a good comparison to Weston.I think their football is very different and definitely prefer Maitlands approach for long term success.No idea if theres new coaching or tds in place up there but they are in a very strong position going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    Yes they do. If they are in the top 4 youth league b from mid season. If they don’t do that then they shouldn’t be playing them. But I can already tell you how that will go. They will cop a flogging and the game will resort to bad tackles and unnecessary injuries. There’s a reason they weren’t grouped together for the youth cup last year.
    They were grouped with the lower NPL teams in the up last year and got wins as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    They were grouped with the lower NPL teams in the up last year and got wins as well.
    I think thats the point everyone is making though.NL will be put with the lower NPL teams from next year.If they get the results that the club believes are coming,then they will get a crack at the top NPL the following season.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    OP mentioned “top teams” they weren’t grouped with anyone inside the top 8 from what I remember. Yes they were at times competitive in the lower half but not to the point where I think they’d even make a dent playing against at least the top 4-6.