Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NPL Youth thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    It doesnt really matter about the rules around retention and EOI's.One of my sons teammates got approached in the first 6 weeks of NPL youth to move clubs next year.There was a lot more movement in JDL than I thought between both clubs moving players on and players themselves choosing to go.I would love to know the average amount of kids that went from JDL 9's all the way through to 13's NPL at the same club.Would assume it would be around the same amount as Aegon had.
    It was never about picking 22 and keeping them all together.
    I don't see movement as a problem if instigated by parents or players. There are many reasons to move on when striving at the higher end of sport.
    If kids prefer to stay with mates great. If those mates prefer to seek different coaches, players, experiences, great.

My main problem is a few clubs taking the current best to create a lopsided and often a product that wont help players develop because there's no greater opposition. But I see that happening less as more players are developing greater skills. The current 12s is a good example.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Not sure about that, they had been pushing to be moved into NPL for quite awhile and would've been showing Northern why they were ready to make the step up. It wasn't something that should've come as a surprise
    agree, should never have got to that spot. But I think CH will fix this knowing they have a very active committee
    Last edited by traffic light; 28-07-2022 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by traffic light View Post
    It was never about picking 22 and keeping them all together.
    I don't see movement as a problem if instigated by parents or players. There are many reasons to move on when striving at the higher end of sport.
    If kids prefer to stay with mates great. If those mates prefer to seek different coaches, players, experiences, great.

My main problem is a few clubs taking the current best to create a lopsided and often a product that wont help players develop because there's no greater opposition. But I see that happening less as more players are developing greater skills. The current 12s is a good example.
    I agree,my son moved clubs and there was no problem with either party when it happened.The skill improvement is noticeable already in my opinion and hopefully every age group coming through is better than the one before it.Even in the teams at the bottom of the ladder there are plenty of really good kids who will be fine getting all the way through til 16s.The challenge as you mentioned will be hoping the good kids in the lower clubs stay and everyone improves rather than stacking the top few teams.One thing Ive seen in small doses is there is a little bit of discontent in some kids spending way too much time on the bench or out of position even though they are winning lots of games.It would be interesting if they bite the bullet and go to a lower team to get better opportunites.We'll soon see once trials and EOI's kick off.

Lots of chatter in here a few months back about New Lambton parents and youth wanting no part of NPL. Has that viewed changed now its here? I don't see the players all running off to Southy to play down a level. My guess is they'll be no exodos. And with Clacka and the money at the club maybe a few of the other local clubs might start to see some of their players going the other way? Interesting times ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Spell Check View Post
    Lots of chatter in here a few months back about New Lambton parents and youth wanting no part of NPL. Has that viewed changed now its here? I don't see the players all running off to Southy to play down a level. My guess is they'll be no exodos. And with Clacka and the money at the club maybe a few of the other local clubs might start to see some of their players going the other way? Interesting times ahead
    Congrats and well done to new Lambton - My main concern is that there is a big concentration of clubs in a small geographical location.

Are there enough players in the Greater Newcastle region to sustain 6 NPL youth teams even considering players coming in from Lake Macquarie or the Valley?
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Spell Check View Post
    Id say the majority of existing players will be there for year 1.After that they will find themselves back in 2nd div youth anyway but they will get much better competition from the likes of Lakes/Adamstown and Cookers.It will be a good thing for them long term.

Id say the majority of existing players will be there for year 1.After that they will find themselves back in 2nd div youth anyway but they will get much better competition from the likes of Lakes/Adamstown and Cookers.It will be a good thing for them long term.
    All the more reason why decoupling has to happen regardless of which clubs are scared of it otherwise it’s just another team that will be fodder for the top 6

Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    All the more reason why decoupling has to happen regardless of which clubs are scared of it otherwise it’s just another team that will be fodder for the top 6
    Totally agree.

Youth club championship standings.
    Olympic biggest improvers since the wet weather 0-0 games scrapped. Lowers clubs losing their washout draws now they are being played.

Youth Champs.jpg

The main concern for myself is northern having the rules for rescheduled and washed out games sorted BEFORE the competition starts and a risk mitigation plan for significant issues etc that prevent games being played. I can understand why clubs are concerned when rules are made up on the fly that can have significant effects on competition standings (since wins will determine which competition clubs sit in for the second part of the year). The competition rules need to be far clearer and northern much more in control of what's going on to stop it becoming the Wild West of football, because it will only get worse once its decoupled.

I would think that after recent events (and covid) that most reasonable people would understand why clubs on the whole would hesitate to throw their support behind it unconditionally, without some clear planning in place.

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    The main concern for myself is northern having the rules for rescheduled and washed out games sorted BEFORE the competition starts and a risk mitigation plan for significant issues etc that prevent games being played. I can understand why clubs are concerned when rules are made up on the fly that can have significant effects on competition standings (since wins will determine which competition clubs sit in for the second part of the year). The competition rules need to be far clearer and northern much more in control of what's going on to stop it becoming the Wild West of football, because it will only get worse once its decoupled.

I would think that after recent events (and covid) that most reasonable people would understand why clubs on the whole would hesitate to throw their support behind it unconditionally, without some clear planning in place.
    The clubs are only using that as an excuse, 3 years ago they would've just come up with some other reason why it can't happen. Deep down it is because they feel it may affect their club and are too short sighted to see what damage the status quo will do to game in the region

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post

If I’m in charge my response would be I hear your concerns but this is happening so get used to it

If I’m in charge my response would be I hear your concerns but this is happening so get used to it
    I honestly dont know why there would be pushback.There are 3 clear groups in youth from NPL down to NL1.It cannot be more perfectly lined up.I have no idea why clubs dont think its at least worth a shot.

I honestly dont know why there would be pushback.There are 3 clear groups in youth from NPL down to NL1.It cannot be more perfectly lined up.I have no idea why clubs dont think its at least worth a shot.
    It will enforce some accountability that some are not willing to face.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

What's this I'm hearing about Valo building a "super squad" for u13's next year?!!! Azzurri coaches taking a whole team from that club 12's and offering every kid and dad at TSP a spot in youth there for the next 4 years? & those coaches locked themselves in for 4 years as well?!!!!

Can't be many spots for those Valo kids who been busting a gut and doing it hard there for the last couple.

@Goatscheese - where you at buddy?

Quote Originally Posted by The Berlin Wall View Post
    What's this I'm hearing about Valo building a "super squad" for u13's next year?!!! Azzurri coaches taking a whole team from that club 12's and offering every kid and dad at TSP a spot in youth there for the next 4 years? & those coaches locked themselves in for 4 years as well?!!!!

Can't be many spots for those Valo kids who been busting a gut and doing it hard there for the last couple.

@Goatscheese - where you at buddy?

This is what JDL has become for a few clubs.Instead of continually developing kids they decide its time to win and throw everything out.As always the clubs,coaches and parents deserve all the scorn that comes with it but the kids are the ones who will wear it.To be fair though its not as if Valo have invented this approach this type of thing has been going on for years at other clubs.Hopefully the kids who are being turfed at Valo get their names down at as many other clubs as possible and trial.They will get a spot somewhere and hopefully dont get lost to the game.A small warning to the Charlestown parents who think they are on a good thing just remember if your kid is a benchwarmer,or they dont win in 13s then the cycle will be repeated and your kid will be replaced so dont burn too many bridges on the way out.

This is what JDL has become for a few clubs….so dont burn too many bridges on the way out.
    Good advice for a lot of parents, I’ve seen a few in the last couple of seasons where they’ve completely torched the bridge on the way out because they hadn’t read a refund policy, or some other document, and have made assumptions on how they think things work. It’s sad because ultimately it’s the kids that suffer…

Banned
    The whole club loyalty thing is a joke for most at this level. Politics and looking for a better deal will ensure this keeps happening.

Many parents want their child to be aligned with winning teams, certain coaches and getting their kid to or near the top for whatever reason.
    It is what it is.

Maybe the Valo kids can go to Azurri, fair few spots available. But tbh most of the Valo 12s kids wouldn't have made 13s and they knew this.
    Welcome to JDL/NPL. You are temporary.

This is what JDL has become for a few clubs.Instead of continually developing kids they decide its time to win and throw everything out.As always the clubs,coaches and parents deserve all the scorn that comes with it but the kids are the ones who will wear it.To be fair though its not as if Valo have invented this approach this type of thing has been going on for years at other clubs.Hopefully the kids who are being turfed at Valo get their names down at as many other clubs as possible and trial.They will get a spot somewhere and hopefully dont get lost to the game.A small warning to the Charlestown parents who think they are on a good thing just remember if your kid is a benchwarmer,or they dont win in 13s then the cycle will be repeated and your kid will be replaced so dont burn too many bridges on the way out.
    To be fair the vast majority of this years Valo 13's came from their JDL. Recent seasons have seen somewhat of an exodus of players from their JDL ranks (local kids are now playing at Edgy, Olympic, Jaffas, Magic, Azzurri, etc) but they have taken steps to address that from next season with committee personnel changes and getting the right people into some crucial roles going forward.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    To be fair the vast majority of this years Valo 13's came from their JDL. Recent seasons have seen somewhat of an exodus of players from their JDL ranks (local kids are now playing at Edgy, Olympic, Jaffas, Magic, Azzurri, etc) but they have taken steps to address that from next season with committee personnel changes and getting the right people into some crucial roles going forward.
    Whenever a club steps up to make 'their" club stronger it's usually at the expense of another.
    I have however, noticed that the pool of talent is greater now due to the large JDL pool of players.