Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NPL Youth thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    i know
    Edgeworth website has been updated now with TD listed as Mick Hugo.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reds Forever View Post
    Edgeworth website has been updated now with TD listed as Mick Hugo.

What is his record at coaching?
    Last edited by jim wallis; 15-03-2022 at 10:05 PM.

Last year he was co-coach of the Edgeworth 14s who finished 2nd so he must be pretty good!
    Last edited by Captain_Carl; 17-03-2022 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Carl View Post
    Last year he was co-coach of the Edgeworth 14s who finished 2nd so he must be pretty good!
    He also coached a Charlestown team that got beat 22-0 so I wouldn’t use that metric. He is doing a lot for indigenous football and is a good bloke so I wish him luck.

What’s peoples thoughts about the 9v9 tournament for the TSP and ALeague academies ?

Not sure I get the point of going back to smaller pitches and sides for 13s and above, what’s the perceived benefit

Quote Originally Posted by Take it easy View Post
    What’s peoples thoughts about the 9v9 tournament for the TSP and ALeague academies ?

Not sure I get the point of going back to smaller pitches and sides for 13s and above, what’s the perceived benefit
    I got the gist that the ones being run by NSW football for the older age groups that they would be longer games, possibly on a bigger field. Not too many details on that one yet though.

With the younger boys, I think a lot of the 14/15s boys actually enjoyed playing the futsal styled tournament that was run last year before covid called off the season. They seemed to get into it all the same. It pushed them a lot more in the smaller space to be better with passing and first touch, no room to be making mistakes. If its not replacing their normal football but is rather in addition to it then I only see it as a value add.

Plus with these things its all about the opportunity to have different people see you and play opposition that makes you more aware of where you sit in the scheme of football at least across NSW - where are you skilled and what do you need to work harder on, being at the top in northern doesn't mean you are at the top of the game of NSW in general, and being challenged is a good opportunity.

I feel it will be a good opportunity for those that haven’t had the academy opportunity to press their claims for future consideration.

I am concerned for in particular the Newcastle Jets it will highlight a number of flaws in their program and the players that shouldn’t be there.

Ultimately looking forward to seeing it and watching some good football.

Banned

Up till 14s 9v9 is great providing its at least box to box and there arent 16 already in a squad which makes it difficult for the Jets 13s 14s.
    TSP can just choose 12 players.
    More touches, quicker movement, more shooting.

Banned

Got a link to info?

Quote Originally Posted by jim wallis View Post
    Got a link to info?
    I don't think there's any public info available at the moment as it was sent as an invitation for a school holiday tournament opportunity for TSP squad members. Maybe they will put something out once they have the teams confirmed.

I know it is about improving technical skill because the idea is that a smaller pitch with less players means more touches on the ball.

However, FA want to say that it won't be till U15s that players will go to a full size pitch, leaving the tactical side of the game very late

not sure if cooks improved significantly from last week in the 15's or if theres concern there for Edgeworth with a 3-1 win over cooks after Maitland put 15 past them last week.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    not sure if cooks improved significantly from last week in the 15's or if theres concern there for Edgeworth with a 3-1 win over cooks after Maitland put 15 past them last week.
    big turnaround. Edgy 15s are good but Cookers did improve alot.

There is definite concern for that team buddy. They lost several top players from last season with their leading goal scorers going to other clubs. They will struggle to compete with many clubs and my club Valo will do them like a dinner. Jeepers creepers yeah!

Banned
    What the hell happened to Valentine 14s? they arent 12-1 bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldy View Post
    What the hell happened to Valentine 14s? they arent 12-1 bad.
    We had a couple out being covid close contacts this week, if it’s really off for them were they missing a few?

We had a couple out being covid close contacts this week, if it’s really off for them were they missing a few?
    This will be the norm over the course of the season. I’ve heard of an NPL club calling up five JDL 12s this weekend to cover for covid absences over the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by terry View Post
    big turnaround. Edgy 15s are good but Cookers did improve alot.
    Cooks Hill had half their 14s playing against Maitland. They had 6 of their players in isolation last weekend. Maitland were probably the team that lucked out in getting them when they had over a third of the team unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Cooks Hill had half their 14s playing against Maitland. They had 6 of their players in isolation last weekend. Maitland were probably the team that lucked out in getting them when they had over a third of the team unavailable.
    Does anyone know if there's a threshold for players out, or if they have approached northern? Opportunity is always good for younger players but there must be some point where it's just not practical nor fair on the remaining players in that team to be playing a full team of younger players and have games written off like that. Everyone wants to play, but the cost of doing so will affect the rest of the season for everyone trying to play catch up on goal difference and for cooks trying to bring it back down again.

I wouldn't put it past Maitland in that age group though they did put 12 past a team with a full squad last year in a game. Can't switch off for any amount of the game, it can turn the game very quickly and become a blood bath of goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtg212777 View Post
    I feel it will be a good opportunity for those that haven’t had the academy opportunity to press their claims for future consideration.

I am concerned for in particular the Newcastle Jets it will highlight a number of flaws in their program and the players that shouldn’t be there.

Ultimately looking forward to seeing it and watching some good football.
    Seriously mate stop stressing, if your boy is good enough he’ll get his opportunity next year, the annual exodus to the mariners will open up a few spots…