Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 500 of 807

Thread: 2022 NPL Youth thread

  1. #481
    Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    Thankfully I havent been around long enough to have the slightest clue what youre talking about.If this is where junior football ends up then god help us all.I was just trying to suggest a way to get the best couple of kids in each community club an opportunity if they want it.All good though.

    No, I totally understand what you were asking - my point wasn't against yours or anything, more that the member feds/FA will never be in favour of a model that helps the community clubs if a player leaves for JDL etc. Theyl just market JDL as something its not so that parents will pay for it and kids think they're little pros for playing in it.

    I was responding to your point on community clubs - the current system doesn't benefit them, but they work so hard for what they have. Its the same theme the further up you go, its a clear pattern in football in Oz that those on the bottom do the heavy lifting.

  2. #482
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastwest View Post
    Anyone against change has a point. Ask yourself, why do we need a strong NPL. Who are we going to compare ourselves against year in year out?
    Just need to be good enough for a long ball trophy win in Newy at any level.

    we have Jets/Mariners for those striving to go highest but that needs a fix as well.
    btw the proposal sounds ok. At least we are having a go at something different.

    Yes which is why opening up the pyramid would only result in better outcomes for every level of said pyramid.

  3. #483
    Senior Member Hunter403's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Spell Check View Post
    I know this is devil's advocate talk but you are kidding Hunter. Clubs are not doing youth for anything less than 4 x $350 a season. Clubs have become lazy and fundraising for their programs is a thing of the past. Why would they when parents are so willing to pay the price asked?
    Stirring the pot......But you do have to wonder if a NL1 kids gets between 4 and 6 times the experience that the community kid gets.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

  4. #484
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,545
    Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    This is always the tricky part.We need to have enough spots that every kid from 9-12 who shows promise gets an opportunity.By opening up spots all the way to a 24th team,it means that the kids at the very top of NPL(1) get constant high level games,and teams below get to build either individually or as a team and get rewarded with taking their teams up or individual kids get picked up in higher level teams.Im still not convinced that we are doing a great job capturing every promising junior playing community at clubs like Mayfield,Cardiff and teams up the Valley to name a few.If i was running a club struggling for numbers id have close relationships with any surrounding community clubs and invite their best kids into the NPL level program if they want.If its done up front and theres something in it for the community club it might be a good relaitonship that benefits everyone.Not sure who was involved with Suburbs on here but they make a great point about losing their best community kids to JDL whilst not being able to run it themselves.There has to be a way for kids to get a chance and filling these 24 teams whilst at the same time not killing community clubs who do so much great work.


    Growing up, my parents didnít know a thing about the state league or SYL and largely stayed outside of any ongoing politics with selections.
    Cousin in law was a Breaker/United player that was playing for Edgeworth.
    My parents assumed that he was playing All Age A grade for edgeworth.

    In juniors, invitations from coach to attend Macquarie academy days. But turned up and 10-15 kids already had their shorts and socks on doing their own mini games. The rest of us just played games for the ďscoutsĒ.

    Moved clubs to play 12G grade because I was new to the club and didnít fit into the top Grade team. Stuck around for 2 years, the president of the club moved me up into some seniors ID games (zone league). At the end of the season asked me to play IDs next season, then called back and asked if Iíd heard of NBN state league and if Iíd be interested in trialling at any of the clubs, namely 2-3 clubs nearby.
    Trialled and made it into their youth team and enjoyed many more years working way through grades.


    The pointÖ. My parents had no idea. I had no idea. My teammates had no idea. Without the club president taking a bit of an interest in me, wouldíve probably played IDs and not experienced state league. Now, letís be honest, I was never making it out of state league, I knew that, I just wanted to play the best level I could.
    Thereís plenty of players whose parents arenít on the forum here, or know the inside out of the competitions. Thereís plenty of untapped potential.
    Iíd hazard a guess and say, no NPL club scouts community games. They rely on people that are in the know and recognise these programs exist.

    This could be a massive advantage to some NL1 clubs.
    I used the example earlier of Warners bay. Are they entitled to enter teams into NPL youth comps if they meet criteria?
    If so, this could be a bit of a game changer and allow clubs with large junior bases an opportunity.

    That was the first Iíd heard of state league.
    Last edited by Bremsstrahlung; 06-06-2022 at 06:56 PM.

  5. #485
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Stirring the pot......But you do have to wonder if a NL1 kids gets between 4 and 6 times the experience that the community kid gets.
    I do think NL1 gets a much higher football experience than community. Maybe not 4-6 x the money worth but there are good clubs in NL1. Southy, New Lambton are working really hard to produce good kids. The others too Iíd guess but I donít know much about the others.

    With JDL coming in, community development drops off rapidly after U8 as the better kids move on. But thatís okay. Football is for everyone and it canít all be about chest beating.

  6. #486
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Growing up, my parents didnít know a thing about the state league or SYL and largely stayed outside of any ongoing politics with selections.
    Cousin in law was a Breaker/United player that was playing for Edgeworth.
    My parents assumed that he was playing All Age A grade for edgeworth.

    In juniors, invitations from coach to attend Macquarie academy days. But turned up and 10-15 kids already had their shorts and socks on doing their own mini games. The rest of us just played games for the ďscoutsĒ.

    Moved clubs to play 12G grade because I was new to the club and didnít fit into the top Grade team. Stuck around for 2 years, the president of the club moved me up into some seniors ID games (zone league). At the end of the season asked me to play IDs next season, then called back and asked if Iíd heard of NBN state league and if Iíd be interested in trialling at any of the clubs, namely 2-3 clubs nearby.
    Trialled and made it into their youth team and enjoyed many more years working way through grades.


    The pointÖ. My parents had no idea. I had no idea. My teammates had no idea. Without the club president taking a bit of an interest in me, wouldíve probably played IDs and not experienced state league. Now, letís be honest, I was never making it out of state league, I knew that, I just wanted to play the best level I could.
    Thereís plenty of players whose parents arenít on the forum here, or know the inside out of the competitions. Thereís plenty of untapped potential.
    Iíd hazard a guess and say, no NPL club scouts community games. They rely on people that are in the know and recognise these programs exist.

    This could be a massive advantage to some NL1 clubs.
    I used the example earlier of Warners bay. Are they entitled to enter teams into NPL youth comps if they meet criteria?
    If so, this could be a bit of a game changer and allow clubs with large junior bases an opportunity.

    That was the first Iíd heard of state league.
    This isnít uncommon. JDL, youth is an expensive, exclusive club that not many know about. Itís the opposite of what football is supposed to be but itís all we have for development so we have to make the best of it.

  7. #487
    Moderator Aegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Thereís plenty of players whose parents arenít on the forum here, or know the inside out of the competitions. Thereís plenty of untapped potential.
    I would say this is much less so than in the past.
    Consider that JDL takes approximately 300 kids just in under 12's.
    ID 12's has 10 divisions of 8 teams with 14 (guess) players per team.
    1000-1100 players rounded down as some divisions have less than 8 teams and some teams would have less than 14 players.
    So about 27-28% of players in their age group are playing JDL already.
    When Zone SAP existed it was closer to 4-5% were not playing miniroos/ID's.
    Several clubs I know of have taken absolute standout players from miniroos/ID's who even after only missing 1, 2 or 3 season of JDL are significantly behind the other players.

    I know of one player in particular who has played up 2 years above his own age group in ID A's for many years who this year has moved to an NL1 club in his own age group. Whilst he doesn't look out of place, he is not running rings around the opposition.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Iíd hazard a guess and say, no NPL club scouts community games.
    This actually is happening in JDL ages. Can 100% confirm at my sons club at a minimum.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    I used the example earlier of Warners bay. Are they entitled to enter teams into NPL youth comps if they meet criteria?
    I certainly hope they have considered this and will allow for it in the future. Considering youth and seniors are going to be decoupled there is no reason to limit who can and cannot submit teams to participate.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

    "Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

  8. #488
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    This actually is happening in JDL ages. Can 100% confirm at my sons club at a minimum.
    100% true,your chief scout loves offering kids from other teams a spot at his club.

  9. #489
    Moderator Aegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,158
    Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    100% true,your chief scout loves offering kids from other teams a spot at his club.
    I was more referring approaches being made to miniroos parents when their kids are scouted.
    The club doesn't undertake trials per se, any identified players are usually invited to train (usually at the end of the season) with the existing playing group for however many sessions as deemed necessary.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

    "Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

  10. #490
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    I was more referring approaches being made to miniroos parents when their kids are scouted.
    The club doesn't undertake trials per se, any identified players are usually invited to train (usually at the end of the season) with the existing playing group for however many sessions as deemed necessary.
    and I was just having a laugh.I dont care that players are getting asked,its up to the kids to say yes or no if they want to be part of that type of thing.

  11. #491
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    I was more referring approaches being made to miniroos parents when their kids are scouted.
    The club doesn't undertake trials per se, any identified players are usually invited to train (usually at the end of the season) with the existing playing group for however many sessions as deemed necessary.
    kids are invited throughout the year. Also chosen from the holiday training days plus negotiations in person as needed.

    But this happens at several clubs and it's up the the child and parents to decide.

    Chances are that those lads would have changed clubs anyway.

    I wonder how often it's the parents actively approaching clubs these days.
    Last edited by samcan; 07-06-2022 at 10:31 PM.

  12. #492
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by samcan View Post
    I wonder if parents how often it's the parents actively approaching clubs these days.
    Quite a bit I would say.Once youve been in the JDL system for the 3 or 4 years you tend to know a lot of other kids and parents and its very easy for parents to get talking to get their kid a run elsewhere.A lot of the time its just kids wanting to play with better teams,its geography,its coaching,its kids wanting to win or just play with mates they may have made along the way.Ive already seen a bit of buyers remorse from kids that have changed clubs.I would love to see those kids up and move to other clubs that could use the redistribution of talent but giving up a spot on a good team can have its own pitfalls.I guess the balance comes down to winning versus more game time and better long term development.No right or wrong answer there either.

  13. #493
    Senior Member Zico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by terry View Post
    yep its worse than you think. Sounds like we need some hard truths to surface.

    Are you assuming Rosebuds, Weston, Cooks hill, Lake Mac are filling NPL with Youth? I wish those clubs were better. But they arent and they'd be lucky to press NL1teams/community teams. Get those 15s to have a trial v Bolwarra 15s.

    So out of 12 teams the top 8 are realistically competitive. By the time we drop 4 hopefully those 8 would bolster all of their age groups to be competitive 1st to last. This sadly includes North C and Mid C.

    Next NL1 - 16s missing 3 teams, 15s 1, 14s 2, 13s 2. Thats 8 teams out of the needed 40 (not inc NIAS) what a ****fest.

    We have crap all chance of having 24 quality teams 13-16s. Even at 20 clubs NL1 will still have the usual 15-0 results which is what we are trying to avoid.

    Need 8 in NPL, 8 in NPL1 and if we need to have some other clubs feel important which is what started this rubbish, have a development 3rd tier.
    Otherwise we are just polishing the turd with new names.
    Agree 100%

  14. #494
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    This is a joke? right? This attitude is the same thats holding the whole comp back. Too scared to make the needed changes.
    What are you even smoking? Its about making sustainable change and not collapsing the competitions trying to do too much at once.

  15. #495
    Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    What are you even smoking? Its about making sustainable change and not collapsing the competitions trying to do too much at once.
    Not collapsing the comp?? bahahha. Its already fked and sustaining this shyte is a joke.

    Needed the overhaul and the one touted seems ok although the 1st round will be a waste.

  16. #496
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastwest View Post
    Not collapsing the comp?? bahahha. Its already fked and sustaining this shyte is a joke.

    Needed the overhaul and the one touted seems ok although the 1st round will be a waste.
    Do you have anything to do with running a club? The whole system is underpinned by mainly volunteers, Making it complex and changing things too quickly can mean it can overwhelm already over worked volunteers, if you think its hard to collapse the competition then you have already very little idea of how much football is run by A. volunteers and B. People with day jobs.

    I don't know why people come here just to throw around swear words and literally contribute nothing to the conversation.

    I never said it didn't need to change, I said it needs to be done carefully to ensure that its not creating more workload for people who already volunteer their time to keep it all running. We've all seen the mess that happens when the JDL schedule is released in dribs and drabs, Mid season release of a competition schedule sounds like something that becomes fairly complex for working out ground availability around seniors, women seniors and youth, and the already massive task of fitting in a million JDL teams. it means after 8 rounds no one knows what they are doing and clubs can't plan their seasons - especially when you are looking at an entire clubs youth moving tiers since it would be impossible to only move single age groups.

    Does any other competition in the country move divisions mid season?

  17. #497
    Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    Do you have anything to do with running a club? The whole system is underpinned by mainly volunteers, Making it complex and changing things too quickly can mean it can overwhelm already over worked volunteers, if you think its hard to collapse the competition then you have already very little idea of how much football is run by A. volunteers and B. People with day jobs.

    I don't know why people come here just to throw around swear words and literally contribute nothing to the conversation.

    I never said it didn't need to change, I said it needs to be done carefully to ensure that its not creating more workload for people who already volunteer their time to keep it all running. We've all seen the mess that happens when the JDL schedule is released in dribs and drabs, Mid season release of a competition schedule sounds like something that becomes fairly complex for working out ground availability around seniors, women seniors and youth, and the already massive task of fitting in a million JDL teams. it means after 8 rounds no one knows what they are doing and clubs can't plan their seasons - especially when you are looking at an entire clubs youth moving tiers since it would be impossible to only move single age groups. Does any other competition in the country move divisions mid season?
    Look the changes will be ok.
    Volunteers? We will need less due to less clubs. And those clubs who bump down a division wont die. The sun will still come up in div2. They will try harder and if they do disband it was bound to happen aka Wallsend.

    Changing a draw at half season? forgive me so I can generally lose my **** for a minute ... ffs we might miss aunt Betty's 80th or still go on that EU trip just make a decision and stick to it. Do you wanna play football or knob around. Ok, back to sensible.

    Mid season regrade - Yep. NSW NPL did a couple years back. Fairly large comp and worked a treat. Watch a few years of football down there.

    We cant be scared to make a change.

    Youth, its getting sloppy and boring and we owe it to them to fix it asap.

  18. #498
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    112
    Rumour mill - can anyone confirm or deny the rumour that the Magic 16s coach and manager being sent off last week and getting 3 weeks suspension?

  19. #499
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dawson View Post
    Rumour mill - can anyone confirm or deny the rumour that the Magic 16s coach and manager being sent off last week and getting 3 weeks suspension?
    No they didnít. Both got yellow cards. Both top blokes. I love Ďem just like the Valo 16s coach. Real characters.

  20. #500
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Lichael Richards View Post
    Changing a draw at half season? forgive me so I can generally lose my **** for a minute ... ffs we might miss aunt Betty's 80th or still go on that EU trip just make a decision and stick to it. Do you wanna play football or knob around. Ok, back to sensible.
    Changing the draw isnt about the kids availability it is about grounds being available.Once clubs from 2 different divisions merge it may see days when neither has a ground available for a scheduled match.Its not a huge issue as most should line up but there will need to be tweaks made along the way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •