Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NPL Youth thread

Interesting to me, following on from Hunter403 comment...if the bills are all fixed from council, ground hire, lighting, etc, and that is the reasoning behind our large fees...how can NL1 charge so much less than NPL, or community even less again (especially if costs are based on a per participant fee)

All caught up, in an 8 team league, would you play each other 3 times, or 4 times to get the number of games played up to a reasonable level

I have an alternative outlandish idea...remove u18s and/or Reserve grade...so that the hoarded talent the top clubs can be pushed and potentially be dispersed to the "weaker clubs"...this would even out the team quality and make the season more competitive

Reminded of a comment from an ex NSL/A-League player from the golden gen (plus a year at Bolton Wanderers)..."if you're not playing with adults, at any of the tiers, by the age of 16...you will not make it as an elite player"

Quote Originally Posted by WOW2.0 View Post
    Reminded of a comment from an ex NSL/A-League player from the golden gen (plus a year at Bolton Wanderers)..."if you're not playing with adults, at any of the tiers, by the age of 16...you will not make it as an elite player"
    Let's qualify that with a couple of locals. Where was Hoffman, B Kanta, Jade North (hes close isnt he) at 15/16?
    Anyone else who play seniors early round here?

An overwhelming percentage of kids playing NPL or NL1 have no dreams or realistic goals of playing elite football as you call it.Most just love the environment and a lot have real connection to the clubs and communities they represent.The kids that want to go further have Jets and TSP to help them.This notion that every kid pulling on a boot every weekend thinks they are the next Messi is silly.The discussion has always been about how best to help those kids develop and provide good competition for them to reach whatever their potential is.JDL should provide better youth year on year,youth should provide better seniors year on year,the best of that lot will go on to play higher level.This discussion is trying to discuss the best way to makeall of those levels blend into each other to try and raise the overall quality of the program.That way if there is a Viduka or Goodwin amongst them they get to at least not be held up by the system.

I have an alternative outlandish idea...remove u18s and/or Reserve grade...so that the hoarded talent the top clubs can be pushed and potentially be dispersed to the "weaker clubs"...this would even out the team quality and make the season more competitive"
    This.

Not outlandish at all, but reserves are the thing that have to go. What’s the point of them? Most of the better clubs just have their best 16/17/18 years in reserves anyway so let’s move on those who are hanging around like a bad smell by making them ineligible via 18.

When I see some of the names going around in reggies I just shake my head. They’ll say they are there to provide experience and guidance. I call BS on that - they are there for the ego and whatever coin they can scratch.

Kanta was playing 1st grade at 14/15 years and I am sure they are kids going around in those ages now who could cut the mustard in 1sts. But no chance they will because in this town we recycle old players like they do in the A League. Our culture is holding us back and until that stops we’ll stand still or go backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    An overwhelming percentage of kids playing NPL or NL1 have no dreams or realistic goals of playing elite football as you call it.Most just love the environment and a lot have real connection to the clubs and communities they represent.The kids that want to go further have Jets and TSP to help them.This notion that every kid pulling on a boot every weekend thinks they are the next Messi is silly.The discussion has always been about how best to help those kids develop and provide good competition for them to reach whatever their potential is.JDL should provide better youth year on year,youth should provide better seniors year on year,the best of that lot will go on to play higher level.This discussion is trying to discuss the best way to makeall of those levels blend into each other to try and raise the overall quality of the program.That way if there is a Viduka or Goodwin amongst them they get to at least not be held up by the system.
    Agree that youth isn’t about just those wanting to get to the top, but we have a handbrake on those kids that do which means they stand alongside those kids doing it for fun and friendship. Accelerate the best kids into the older ages pronto and we’ll make some headway.

Quote Originally Posted by Spell Check View Post
    Agree that youth isn’t about just those wanting to get to the top, but we have a handbrake on those kids that do which means they stand alongside those kids doing it for fun and friendship. Accelerate the best kids into the older ages pronto and we’ll make some headway.
    That is already happening across many clubs in youth.Edgeworth,Maitland,Charlestown and Adamstown for example (im sure there are others)are regularly playing kids up for the experience and have a few kids across most grades playing a year up in their permanent squads.I think a lot of the TSP kids are up a year too.If those opportunites arent happing for other kids maybe they need to find a club that will let them be pushed rather than TDs and coaches keeping them down just to make their teams stronger.Its a balance for sure but those opportunities are out there.

@Finzee, well, we can also include Archie Goodwin playing in the A-League games at 16 too (and the NPL seniors, when not called up)

Ahh...discovered the quote button

My comment isn't necessarily about the kids, we can all have different goals, etc...and that's more than fine.

My comment is specifically about the system, that holds potentially really talented kids back for realtively "meaningless" trophies, with ridiculous score lines

(Our other development issues are also cost related of course, it costs too much and a Messi or Ronaldo's parents would be too poor to afford to participate in our 'pay for play' system, compare to our competing sports here, where the talented pathway becomes cheaper as you progress, and the pathway is more understood and accessible...but that's another issue)

This is true.

For relevancy, the 2 best players in the under 18s competition in NL1 last year were both bottom aged.

One is playing reserve grade right now and coming off the bench in firsts at Club A, even though he qualifies for 18s.

The other, at club B, is still playing 18s and scoring multiple goals a game. Without him, that 18s team doesn't finish top 2 etc, so I am guessing he is held back for this reason.

Which one do you think is having better development? (for reference, both should be in NPL and would be dominant there too)
    Last edited by jessepinkman; 01-06-2022 at 05:20 PM.

Thats a question for NNSW I think,they are the ones expanding NPL.I was just siding with the argument that 2 tiers with genuine promotion/relegation is better long term to tick all the boxes youth football is supposed to deliver.
    It is better long term yes, but those bottom NPL sides who cant attract the top players in NL1 are actively holding back the NPL as a whole. There is more to a successful football club than what happens on the park.

Quote Originally Posted by jessepinkman View Post
    This is true.

For relevancy, the 2 best players in the under 18s competition in NL1 last year were both bottom aged.

One is playing reserve grade right now and coming off the bench in firsts at Club A, even though he qualifies for 18s.

The other, at club B, is still playing 18s and scoring multiple goals a game. Without him, that 18s team doesn't finish top 2 etc, so I am guessing he is held back for this reason.

Which one do you think is having better development? (for reference, both should be in NPL and would be dominant there too)
    Question is, why are these players still in NL1? The jump is big from the top NL1 to top four NPL youth teams. Can they really handle it? Have they tried? If not why not?

Olympic 16 squad this year lost a few to the Jets and others and brought in replacements from NL1. None seem quite there. Years playing in a NL1 environment is different from a NPL environment. NL1 you can have a laugh and mess. NPL top teams train hard and serious. Kids stepping up from NL1 should have something to prove but most come in having won everything so think they are already there. They get a shock.

That’s funny - even though Olympic lost 7 from last years 15’s (3 to jets, 2 to Magic and cut a couple) and filled up with NL1 players, they still are coming mid table? So is what you’re saying - that unless a NL1 player is able to step into a top 4 club - they are not worthy? Or that the youth NPL comp is shite beyond 3 or 4 clubs?

The first tier is only as strong as it’s second tier Enter decoupling youth competition.

Already hearing mass exodus of players from first division clubs that have seriously dropped the ball on youth - and club leaders are really concerned. Kids/parent don’t want little Johnny playing second tier.

What’s coming will be a game changer for some clubs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dawson View Post
    Good.
    We need a new look and feel to youth football.
    Clubs need a reality check on what they are trying to achieve. Keeping your club in NPL for chest beating is over.
    Raising the bar on real development is required and if that means only 8 teams each in 2 tiers then we get what we deserve.
    The numbers have decided that most dont really want that top elite challenge so they can enjoy themselves in tier 2 and below.

That’s funny - even though Olympic lost 7 from last years 15’s (3 to jets, 2 to Magic and cut a couple) and filled up with NL1 players, they still are coming mid table? So is what you’re saying - that unless a NL1 player is able to step into a top 4 club - they are not worthy? Or that the youth NPL comp is shite beyond 3 or 4 clubs?.
    The fact Olympic won 15's at a canter, lost half the squad, brought in NL1 replacements and now sit mid-table having lost 3x more games than they did all last season having played only 8 games speaks for itself. If you watch the games you can see which boys have stepped out of NL1, not just on ability but attitude.

I am not saying NL1 are not worthy at all, but if they are stepping into a top 4 club - the top club in fact - they should be expected to mix it. On the evidence of Olympic this season, they can't mix it.

The NPL Youth comp is close to being shite beyond the top four clubs, and having New Lambton and others like them coming in isn't going to change that in my opinion. Decoupling will only see some of the mid/lower table clubs reordering. Nothing will change at the top.

BUT I really hope I am wrong. Youth needs a massive shake-up, from the comp to the TD and DOF's running it. Too many old school talking heads not seeing that change is needed. The whole scene needs fresh faces and fresh ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by traffic light View Post
    Good.
    We need a new look and feel to youth football.
    Clubs need a reality check on what they are trying to achieve. Keeping your club in NPL for chest beating is over.
    Raising the bar on real development is required and if that means only 8 teams each in 2 tiers then we get what we deserve.
    The numbers have decided that most dont really want that top elite challenge so they can enjoy themselves in tier 2 and below.
    100% right, every word

The NPL Youth comp is close to being shite beyond the top four clubs, and having New Lambton and others like them coming in isn't going to change that in my opinion. Decoupling will only see some of the mid/lower table clubs reordering. Nothing will change at the top.
    This is my opinion as well.I am not shitting on New Lambton I would just rather when they get promoted they are strong enough to replace a team like Edgeworth or Valentine rather than a team like Lakes or Cookers.And to do that they need to be way better than they are at the moment and i think they will get there by playing teams their level in a strong 2nd division like Adamstown/Lakes/Weston rather than being another club that chases shadows every week against Jaffas/Olympic and Magic.Personally I think thats a better long term approach for all of those clubs.

This is my opinion as well.I am not shitting on New Lambton I would just rather when they get promoted they are strong enough to replace a team like Edgeworth or Valentine rather than a team like Lakes or Cookers.And to do that they need to be way better than they are at the moment and i think they will get there by playing teams their level in a strong 2nd division like Adamstown/Lakes/Weston rather than being another club that chases shadows every week against Jaffas/Olympic and Magic.Personally I think thats a better long term approach for all of those clubs.
    Isn't that what decoupling is all about? Same v same. The issue is that some of the low lying NPL Clubs are pushing back. Concerned that if they end up in a second tier the only carrot they have (NPL status), is gone and better run Clubs below and around them take over. Personally that's football. Strong and smart grow, weak and dumb die. Northern created an environment of mediocrity by stopping promotion and relegation and trying to enforce criteria that doesn't belong in a regional town. It will take a decade to fix if they are willing. Step One, fix youth, de couple two divisions of 8, if no Youth in all teams off to ZPL. Step 2 pro/rel.

Quote Originally Posted by BBscone View Post
    Isn't that what decoupling is all about? Same v same. The issue is that some of the low lying NPL Clubs are pushing back. Concerned that if they end up in a second tier the only carrot they have (NPL status), is gone and better run Clubs below and around them take over. Personally that's football. Strong and smart grow, weak and dumb die. Northern created an environment of mediocrity by stopping promotion and relegation and trying to enforce criteria that doesn't belong in a regional town. It will take a decade to fix if they are willing. Step One, fix youth, de couple two divisions of 8, if no Youth in all teams off to ZPL. Step 2 pro/rel.
    Correct,we are agreeing with each other.When my eldest son was looking for a spot in 13s this year he trialed at both NL1 and NPL clubs.All i cared about was the coaching and the direction of the club.He found a good spot and is really happy.If he was ever in a team that went to a 2nd division i am sure that he and his teammates would all be united in trying to get back to playing in the top grade rather than splintering off just for the status of playing NPL.This season he has bumped into lots of mates across many teams and the overwhelming majority are really happy with their choices too.I would hope that any current NPL clubs who went down would do so with the understanding that there is a way back and not block what seems like a legitimate process for improving the overall quality of football in this region.

Already hearing mass exodus of players from first division clubs that have seriously dropped the ball on youth - and club leaders are really concerned. Kids/parent don’t want little Johnny playing second tier.

Where are they going to go? There won't be a lot of spots to take all those players and some of them aren't even as good as the players in the top clubs (if they were the score lines would be closer).